Thousands march in support of CBC and Radio-Canada

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Thousands march in support of CBC and Radio-Canada

CBC/Radio-Canada supporters gathered in Montreal, Matane, Sept-Îles, Quebec City, Saguenay, Sherbrooke, Trois-Rivières, Rimouski, Gaspé and Moncton in New Brunswick to protest against deep cuts and job losses at the Crown corporation.

A sea of blue flags emblazoned with the CBC logo – also known as the CBC pizza – rolled down René-Lévesque Boulevard in Montreal Sunday afternoon.

The protests across Quebec and in Moncton were organized by CBC/Radio-Canada's main unions for the French-language service, along with other supporters operating under the banner Tous Amis de Radio-Canada (Friends of CBC.)

Protesters assembled at Montreal's Square-Victoria and headed to the CBC headquarters in Quebec, Maison Radio-Canada, where organizers decried the cuts to Canada's public broadcaster.

Regional news at risk: Couillard

Last summer, CBC/Radio-Canada president Hubert Lacroix announced his plans to trim staff, cutting 1,500 employees by 2020.

Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard said he is worried what the cuts to CBC/Radio-Canada mean for people who do not live in major metropolitan regions.

"I live in the regions, and I want quality regional news. I also want francophones in Quebec to continue to have information in our language. These elements for me are very important," Couillard said.

He said he has no words of advice for the administration of CBC/Radio-Canada.

The Canadian Media Guild has called for a moratorium on job cuts at the public broadcaster.

Time-lapse video of Nov. 16 protest in Montreal:

Manifestation Radio-Canada 16 novembre en accéléré - YouTube

source: Thousands march in support of CBC and Radio-Canada - Montreal - CBC News