Kxl

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
House passes Keystone XL construction bill

By Ed O'Keefe November 14

The House easily passed a measure Friday authorizing construction of the Keystone XL pipeline, sending it on to the Senate where the issue is expected to come up for a vote on Tuesday.

Lawmakers voted 252 to 161 to approve the project. Thirty-one Democrats, including a handful who lost reelection last week, joined with all but one Republican who voted for the bill. Rep. Justin Amash (Mich.), a renegade Republican who frequently bucks his party and top leaders, voted present.

An identical measure is set for debate and a vote Tuesday in the Senate, where Sen. Mary Landrieu (D-La.) forced leaders to permit an up-or-down vote in hopes of settling a long-simmering concern for her state and to help buttress her reelection.

Landrieu faces Rep. Bill Cassidy (R-La.), who was the lead sponsor on Friday's House bill, in a Dec. 6 runoff race for her Senate seat.

House passes Keystone XL construction bill - The Washington Post

Ruh-roh, Rorge!

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The Senate is finally going to take up the House measure. After being the Senate of Obstruction and with one of their own Dems at risk of losing her seat now they will FINALLY start working.

Speaking for environmentalists, Rep. Jared Huffman, a Democrat from California, said the bill was a “Christmas gift” to TransCanada Corp., owner of the Keystone pipeline project.

“So Merry Christmas, TransCanada,” he said on the House floor. “And what gift can we expect in return? Carbon pollution and heavy crude shipped through our country to export terminals and higher gas prices. … This Christmas present to TransCanada is like a lump of coal to the U.S.”

Merry Christmas!

grainfedpraiboy

Electoral Member
Mar 15, 2009
Alberta The Last Best West
Many analysts are predicting that Obama will veto this.

He has been the worst President from a Canadian perspective for decades and I actually hope he does just that in keeping with his anti Canada MO.

Bitumen needs to be upgraded here in Canada and the value added component, energy security and good jobs stay home.

I would rather see the processing infrastructure built from scratch in say.....Manitoba (for the sake of debate) then see the refined products distributed in Canada, Europe and Asia, then see underused US refineries get upgraded and continue to buy our oil at deep discounts and also be beholden to the whims and regulations of the US government of the day.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
He has been the worst President from a Canadian perspective for decades and I actually hope he does just that in keeping with his anti Canada MO.

In Obama's defense, it is his job to look out after the best interests of the USA.

On that note, my feeling is that he has not served that ends very well and it will be interesting to see how history view his tenure as President

Bitumen needs to be upgraded here in Canada and the value added component, energy security and good jobs stay home.

I would rather see the processing infrastructure built from scratch in say.....Manitoba (for the sake of debate) then see the refined products distributed in Canada, Europe and Asia, then see underused US refineries get upgraded and continue to buy our oil at deep discounts and also be beholden to the whims and regulations of the US government of the day.

That makes perfect sense, however, it is highly unlikely that anyone will want to have a new refinery built in their backyard.

From that perspective, I don't hold a lot of hope for value-added opportunities here in Canada

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I doubt it will make it through the US Senate. They still hold the majority until January. This vote is for Democrat Sen. Landrieu who is in a run off in Louisiana. It's so she can vote in favor of it to give her a new campaign ad.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
That makes perfect sense, however, it is highly unlikely that anyone will want to have a new refinery built in their backyard.

From that perspective, I don't hold a lot of hope for value-added opportunities here in Canada

CO-OP Refinery covers SK, MB, parts of AB, MT MN and ND including all the jet fuel for Minot AFB with it's B52s.

It doesn't take many to cover vast areas.

Diesel and JP are going along for the ride down XL as dilutantes.

We are far from hitting upgrade capacity either. Crude production has to catch up.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I never realized that the Coop refinery had that kind of capacity

100,000bbl a day and two upgrades next door we aren't lacking.

Ever seen the tiny Parkland refinery near Bowden? That itty bitty thing does a fair bit. Making gasoline and diesel doesn't take full scale refinering. Just a small fractional.

Last edited:

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Well Obama can always snuggle up to the Arabs some more and they can bring their oil over via super tankers. Oh wait, they're already doing that.