Gay marriage a 'Trojan horse', says Catholic cardinal

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Idiot.

Gay marriage a 'Trojan horse', says Catholic cardinal

Gay civil unions and same-sex marriages are a “Trojan horse” that fundamentally weaken the institution of the family, a senior Catholic cardinal has warned, a month after the issue was raised by Pope Francis at a ground-breaking summit in the Vatican.

Cardinal Angelo Bagnasco, the head of the Italian Bishops Conference, said that civil unions between gay men and women only serve to “confuse people” and undermine traditional family life, especially if the couples go on to have children, either through adoption or through donor methods.

“It is irresponsible to weaken the family by creating new forms”, the cardinal told a meeting of Italian bishops in the town of Assisi in Umbria on Monday.

“It only confuses people and has the effect of being a sort of Trojan horse, undermining culturally and socially the core of humanity.”

Children “have a right to a mother and a father”, Cardinal Bagnasco told the bishops.

Last month bishops, archbishops and cardinals at a Vatican synod discussed gay unions, among other contentious issues confronting the Catholic Church, after Pope Francis called for more compassion to be shown to gay people and family arrangements that the Vatican regards as unorthodox.

The Pope last year famously said: “Who am I to judge?” when asked about homosexuals, particularly in regard to their role within the Church.

Many in the Church have been appalled by his comparatively liberal approach, especially conservatives in the US, and an interim synod document that urged the Church to be “welcoming” to homosexuals was later watered down substantially.

Cardinal Bagnasco’s remarks were interpreted as an attack on the increasing number of mayors in Italy who have recently made a point of recognising gay marriages performed overseas.

Gay marriage is illegal in Italy but couples who have tied the knot in foreign countries have sought recognition from their local councils by registering their unions in town halls.

The action by mayors around the country earned a rebuke from Angelino Alfano, who is both deputy prime minister and interior minister.

Last month he ordered mayors to stop recognising gay marriages performed in other countries.

A survey last year showed that 85 per cent of Italians supported the idea of recognising civil unions which give same-sex partners more rights.

But the same poll showed that only 25 per cent were in favour of full gay marriage.

The issue has split Italian politics, with the centre-Left broadly in favour of civil unions and the centre-Right staunchly opposed.

“Cardinal Bagnasco’s comments on the family are, as ever, absolutely clear,” said Eugenia Roccella, an MP with the New Centre Right party. “Children have the right to have a mother and a father.

“The attempt by mayors to undermine the law and the Italian constitution by registering gay marriages performed abroad is specious and constitutes a classic Trojan horse tactic.”

Gay marriage a 'Trojan horse', says Catholic cardinal - Telegraph

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Very smart man this Catholic cardinal.

What is the true sense of marriage, to reproduce and have a family..

From Sex-Ed 101, a woman and a woman or a man and man can not reproduce.. unless they go outside their relationship to acquire off spring..

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm

From Sex-Ed 101, a woman and a woman or a man and man can not reproduce.. unless they go outside their relationship to acquire off spring..

How righteous of you.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The only ones confused are the leaders of the church. They don't understand the world
has changed. The church does not recognize that people don't want the kind of society
they are offering. There are many who state the position of marriage is diminished? I
have been married a long time and I don't feel threatened. In addition there are thousands
of people living in official unhappy marriages you can't tell me that is healthy either.
The Trojan Horse is the people who resist change, until it breaks out in demands from the
street as we have seen in so many countries.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

So, only those that can or are going to have children should be allowed to get married. I have that right?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

Marriage is not required to reproduce and have a family, having functional genitals is..... there's your Sex-Ed 101.

Every other species on this planet seems to do just fine having a family and reproducing without the need of Marriage as we understand it.

I can agree with the Cardinal saying it's confusing people as you just clearly confused Marriage with Sexual Reproduction and that one is necessary for the other.

Let's try and resolve this confusion shall we?

Marriage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Marriage (also called matrimony or wedlock) is a socially or ritually recognized union or legal contract between spouses that establishes rights and obligations between them, between them and their children, and between them and their in-laws. The definition of marriage varies according to different cultures, but it is principally an institution in which interpersonal relationships, usually sexual, are acknowledged. In some cultures, marriage is recommended or considered to be compulsory before pursuing any sexual activity. When defined broadly, marriage is considered a cultural universal."

Sexual Activity does not automatically mean reproduction. And they say "Usually Sexual" which means "Not Always" and nothing noting a requirement for reproduction.

Rights and Obligations between them, between them and their children.... in many cases, marriages are created before any children are involved, if ever. But if they are, then Marriage covers their obligations towards children.

Same sex marriages have existed since way back in the Ancient Greek Culture.

Marriage itself has existed long before Christianity ever existed.

From the OP:
Children “have a right to a mother and a father”, Cardinal Bagnasco told the bishops.

Actually they have a right to having a parent or guardian..... and I'm not entirely sure if that's actually a "Right" in the first place.

As someone who was raised Roman Catholic, I am not aware of any situations in my life where children were taken from a parent when the other passed away or something else happened that prevented the child from having bother a Father and a Mother. If that was indeed a "Right" then you'd think the church or state would force the surviving parent to take another partner so the child had both.

He's not a "Very Smart Man" at all.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
The only ones confused are the leaders of the church. They don't understand the world
has changed. The church does not recognize that people don't want the kind of society
they are offering. There are many who state the position of marriage is diminished? I
have been married a long time and I don't feel threatened. In addition there are thousands
of people living in official unhappy marriages you can't tell me that is healthy either.
The Trojan Horse is the people who resist change, until it breaks out in demands from the
street as we have seen in so many countries.

The "leader" of the Catholic Church understands perfectly that the world has and is changing. Rather than painting with such a wide brush, maybe you should educate yourself.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
2 consenting adults have every right to marry each other and the amount of x or y chromosones doesn't mean jack. There is no such thing as traditional marriage because it depends on whose tradition and what time frame and geographical location. Its can't be quantified by those not involved in that specific union

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The cardinal should not be making proclamations on subjects that he has no experience in. He should, instead, concern himself with those he does, like masturbation and prostate problems. Modern marriage (nuclear family) is a product of the industrial revolution. Until then most people lived in extended families (or tribes). Modern marriage is a recent "tradition". I think the one who is confused is the cardinal.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
The cardinal should not be making proclamations on subjects that he has no experience in. He should, instead, concern himself with those he does, like masturbation and prostate problems. Modern marriage (nuclear family) is a product of the industrial revolution. Until then most people lived in extended families (or tribes). Modern marriage is a recent "tradition". I think the one who is confused is the cardinal.

and you just HAD to be a fu cking dick about it.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
and you just HAD to be a fu cking dick about it.
Your opinion is duly noted. A feminist once made that observation about the church's meddling into female reproductive processes and I happen to agree with her. That you are offended by it is your problem.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Your opinion is duly noted. A feminist once made that observation about the church's meddling into female reproductive processes and I happen to agree with her. That you are offended by it is your problem.

and I can believe a "feminist" would be that much of a c*nt.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Marriage is not required to reproduce and have a family, having functional genitals is..... there's your Sex-Ed 101.

Every other species on this planet seems to do just fine having a family and reproducing without the need of Marriage as we understand it.

I can agree with the Cardinal saying it's confusing people as you just clearly confused Marriage with Sexual Reproduction and that one is necessary for the other.

Let's try and resolve this confusion shall we?

Marriage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Marriage (also called matrimony or wedlock) is a socially or ritually recognized union or legal contract between spouses that establishes rights and obligations between them, between them and their children, and between them and their in-laws. The definition of marriage varies according to different cultures, but it is principally an institution in which interpersonal relationships, usually sexual, are acknowledged. In some cultures, marriage is recommended or considered to be compulsory before pursuing any sexual activity. When defined broadly, marriage is considered a cultural universal."

Sexual Activity does not automatically mean reproduction. And they say "Usually Sexual" which means "Not Always" and nothing noting a requirement for reproduction.

Rights and Obligations between them, between them and their children.... in many cases, marriages are created before any children are involved, if ever. But if they are, then Marriage covers their obligations towards children.

Same sex marriages have existed since way back in the Ancient Greek Culture.

Marriage itself has existed long before Christianity ever existed.

From the OP:

Actually they have a right to having a parent or guardian..... and I'm not entirely sure if that's actually a "Right" in the first place.

As someone who was raised Roman Catholic, I am not aware of any situations in my life where children were taken from a parent when the other passed away or something else happened that prevented the child from having bother a Father and a Mother. If that was indeed a "Right" then you'd think the church or state would force the surviving parent to take another partner so the child had both.

He's not a "Very Smart Man" at all.

All this Malarkey from a man that does not even consider his wife a friend...

How righteous of you.

Dam straight.

Personally I'm tired of hearing about Fudge Packing Stinky Dink rights to get married..

Let me be clear, they want to get married in the courts, or if a Church will preform the marriage have at'er.

But Gay Parades, and just the attention whoring on behalf of the GLBT group, makes me sick. I don't care what other people do behind closed doors in the privacy of their own homes.. and they don't need to go out in public and claim "Gayity!!"

You don't see a family parade, straight heterosexuals and family marching in the streets as a parade.. but maybe they should?? Promote the family unit.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Mention anything about normal with this bunch of girlie boys and they gang up on ya instantly. They get hard by watching guys stick it up other guys azzes. They also have the nerve to say it is "normal".

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Mention anything about normal with this bunch of girlie boys and they gang up on ya instantly. They get hard by watching guys stick it up other guys azzes. They also have the nerve to say it is "normal".

Normal is boring.

Also, its not just guys who can be gay.

You don't see a family parade, straight heterosexuals and family marching in the streets as a parade.. but maybe they should?? Promote the family unit.

No one's stopping them.