Fracking linked to Alberta earthquakes

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Carmen Langer had just left his bed to grab a drink of water when he felt his house northeast of Peace River, Alta., begin to shake.

“At first I thought I wasn’t feeling very good that day... and it was just my blood sugar, but no, it shook pretty good,” Langer said about the Nov. 2 incident.

Moments after the shaking stopped, his neighbours were calling, asking if he had felt what they just felt.

“After a few minutes, I realized it was an earthquake,” Langer said.

Resources Canada (NRC) registered a small, 3.0-magnitude earthquake that was “lightly felt” from Three Creeks to St. Isidor in northern Alberta at 11:14 p.m. MT. NRC said on its website there were no reports of damage, and that “none would be expected.”

Jeff Gu, a seismologist at the University of Alberta, said the earthquake could have been caused by shifting rock formations in the region — but added there could be another possible explanation.

“Certainly that region is not immune to earthquake faulting, but I would say having actual earthquakes in that area is relatively recent, relatively new,” he said.

Gu is one of three authors of a recently published study in the Journal of Geophysical Research, a peer-reviewed publication that looked at four years of earthquake data around Rocky Mountain House. The study concludes that waste-water injection into the ground is highly correlated with spikes in earthquake activity in the area.

It is the first study of its kind conducted in Canada that links industrial activity to induced earthquakes.

“The conclusion was that the industrial activities could, in some cases, potentially trigger or facilitate earthquake occurrences,” Gu said.

Alberta earthquakes increasing

Since 1985, fewer than 15 earthquakes above a 3.0 magnitude have been recorded anywhere in Alberta, according to the Alberta Geological Survey's website. There has been an increase in earthquake activity since the 1960s, the organization says.

The Peace River earthquake is not the only one that has shaken the province in the past few months:

In October, a 2.7-magnitude quake was recorded about four kilometres southwest of Banff.
In August, a 4.3-magnitude earthquake was registered near Rocky Mountain House, causing about 500 customers in the area to lose power for several hours.

Gu said the research into whether waste-water induction and fracking are related to earthquakes is still “really a work in progress.”

“There has been more and more evidence, increasing evidence, in the last few years in particular — in Arkansas, in Texas and actually more recently here,” Gu said.

“With all the stuff that’s going on in my community, I’m feeling quite concerned about it,” he said. “We’re having all kinds of environmental problems in the community… Something has to give here.”

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/edm...alberta-earthquakes-study-indicates-1.2829484

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Yea it's likely just geezers in Alberta needing to take their meds lol

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Ever heard of the Brockton-Froid Fault?

In 1909 SK was rocked with an estimated 6.0 caused by coal mining in Beinfait.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Tremors, earthquakes in Alberta?? When? Where?

I'm back and forth weekly from the USA to Alberta.. must have slept though it.. :lol:

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I'm actually not saying I disagree, but it's less convincing when he doesn't provide any evidence.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'm no expert on earthquakes or fracking, but I'm having a hard time imagining how fracking would cause earth's plates to shift. I think I'd wait until they get a size 7 earthquake and then I'd reduce the fracking.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
I don't like fracking. I think of the earth's crust as an eggshell. Imagine an eggshell that is cracked all the way around. I can see how sooner or later, the yolk's going to be on us. and just because, you know, a really huge freaking comet or something that slams into the planet leaving a crater the size of the gulf of mexico would likely be an extinction event (ours) anyways, doesn't mean we ought to guarantee it will be by cracking the fvcking crust all around. I imagine a hard unfracked continent mantel would absorb a lot of shock and still remain fairly solid away from the impact area, but a mantel that has lost most of its integrity due to fracking when impacted I should think would have an effect like a tectonic tsunami, where if we take a hit mid-continent, it will cause cities to crumble and fall from coast to coast. now we all know God would never do that, right? lol but, it's probably nothing. we should trust the scientists who know better than God because they've never been wrong before. ain't that right? of course we'll all be long gone before any such event will take place, so it sucks to be the ones we've fu<ked it up for.

waldo

House Member
Oct 19, 2009

The study concludes that waste-water injection into the ground is highly correlated with spikes in earthquake activity in the area.

It is the first study of its kind conducted in Canada that links industrial activity to induced earthquakes.

“The conclusion was that the industrial activities could, in some cases, potentially trigger or facilitate earthquake occurrences,” Gu said.

waste-water injection (associated with fracking)... as distinct from fracking proper. The OP study results align with the latest USGS statement/position:

A team of USGS scientists led by Bill Ellsworth analyzed changes in the rate of earthquake occurrence using large USGS databases of earthquakes recorded since 1970. The increase in seismicity has been found to coincide with the injection of wastewater in deep disposal wells in several locations, including Colorado, Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma and Ohio. Much of this wastewater is a byproduct of oil and gas production and is routinely disposed of by injection into wells specifically designed and approved for this purpose.

Hydraulic fracturing, commonly known as “fracking,” does not appear to be linked to the increased rate of magnitude 3 and larger earthquakes.

Although wastewater injection has not yet been linked to large earthquakes (M6+), scientists cannot eliminate the possibility. It does appear that wastewater disposal induced the M5.3 Raton Basin, Colorado earthquake in 2011 as well as the M5.6 quake that struck Prague, Oklahoma in 2011, leading to a few injuries and damage to more than a dozen homes.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
The OP article is BS.
I don't know that it is all necessarily BS but it jumps way ahead of itself with the conclusions it leaps to. Couple that with the inflammatory title, and its easier to make the BS connection than to give much credence to the article.

waste-water injection (associated with fracking)... as distinct from fracking proper. The OP study results align with the latest USGS statement/position:

That sounds nice except for one major fact that is ignored: water injection is a reservoir pressure maintenance method. What this means is that the water injected into a formation is to stabilize or slow the decrease in pressure caused by the production of oil & gas. In Alberta, the injection pressures are regulated by the EUB/ERCB/whatever their name is this week to that end, and even if it wasn't, the volume it would take to exceed initial reservoir pressure and the equipment needed would make it uneconomic... and this doesn't get into the scaling/precipitation/water chemistry issues with cross-injecting waters from different formations...