Wealth inequality in US not seen since Great Depression - study

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Wealth inequality in US not seen since Great Depression - study

A new study has revealed that 0.01 percent of the population holds more and more of America’s wealth. The share of wealth in the hands of middle class families has tumbled to levels not seen since before the Wall Street Crash in 1929.

A research paper from the London School of Economics shows previous estimates have seriously underestimated the amount of wealth controlled by the very rich in the US. Authors Saez and Gabriel Zuchman, have used a greater variety of sources, including the effect of things like property tax and tax avoidance strategies.

The researchers used the bottom 90 percent of families as a measure of middle class wealth. They found that in the late 1920’s, just before the Wall Street Crash, the bottom 90 percent controlled 16 percent of America’s wealth.

This share rose steadily from the beginning of the great depression until the end of the Second World War, due to a collapse in wealth of the richest households, and continued to rise after World War Two as the middle class wealth grew on a par with national wealth.

The middle class also saw rising rates of home ownership during this period and by the early 1980s the share of wealth owned by the middle class was reckoned at 36 percent, roughly four times what the top 0.1 percent controlled.

But since the early 1980’s the net worth of the US middle class has collapsed, due to a sluggish growth in middle class incomes but mainly because of soaring debt, including mortgages.

Meanwhile the fortunes of the very rich have grown. 16,000 families make up 0.01 percent of households in America, and are worth an average $371 million. They control 11.2 percent of total US wealth, which is a similar share to that seen back in 1916.

But even coming slightly down the spectrum, the top 0.1 percent, consisting of 160,000 families, hasn’t done nearly as well and holds 22 percent of US wealth – a bit less than their 1929 peak. This is the same share as the bottom 90 percent.

The authors also sound the alarm over how these huge fortunes were amassed. Although some young families have grown rich through entrepreneurial activity, such as billionaires like Mark Zuckerberg, many are rich through fortunes they have inherited.

source: http://rt.com/business/204035-us-re..._medium=aplication_chrome&utm_campaign=chrome

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Usually by the third generation the inherited wealth has filtered down to the rest of the population or at least to those that deal in drugs and expensive toys.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
End tax shelters along with other forms of corporate welfare and this problem will be ended over night.

Approx 50% of the eligible taxpayers in the US don't pay Fed taxes... And your solution is to kick the corporations (read: employers) squarely in the balls as often as possible.

I'm guessing that you understand the relationship between the 2

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
the fact is the tax rates keep going down for companies and there is not enough money
coming in for programs. Put in a tax on every company that sends jobs off shore.
If they want to leave they pay back all the tax benefits they got over the last twenty five
years upfront in cash. This that is a non starter? You are likely right but then they breaks
they get now are just as ridiculous

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Too many tax breaks in the orchard business... If only those greedy fat cats paid their fair share, we will have solved:

• Homelessness
  • Child obesity
  • Peace in the Middle East
  • Poverty
  • Kick a$$ gas mileage
I recommend that we institute a policy of an 87% marginal tax rate on all income over 8 bucks on all fruit growers

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Approx 50% of the eligible taxpayers in the US don't pay Fed taxes... And your solution is to kick the corporations (read: employers) squarely in the balls as often as possible.

I'm guessing that you understand the relationship between the 2

Just a reminder that I worked in the tax field for 20 years, taught taxation at the IRS, published a couple of articles on the subject, and know the business considerably better than you do.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Just a reminder that I worked in the tax field for 20 years, taught taxation at the IRS, published a couple of articles on the subject, and know the business considerably better than you do.

Take a look at the results from the practical application of an unfriendly business environment. France comes to mind as an extreme example.

I do understand that you have an extensive background in the tax field and that said, I would imagine that you understand that there comes a point in the 'equation' where raising taxes results in lower revenues being collected by the gvt.

You also understand that capital is very mobile. It will ebb and flow to find the path of least resistance and maximum return & security... While it only takes the stroke of a pen to change the tax rules, there is a confidence issue, meaning, it becomes increasingly difficult to attract the big FDI and or corp HQs once you have established a questionable track record.. To use another extreme example of this, how many years do you think it will take for (foreign) capital to migrate back to Greece?

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
If we had had genuine tax reform so that none of the multi-trillion that is sheltered overseas was kept at home, the economy would be in far better shape, the middle class would have vastly expanded thereby increasing the tax base, and their investment and consumption would have spurred business even more. Mind you that at no point have I ever called for soaking the rich as that would be counter productive. In the past I have actually called for an elimination of the income tax as that would effectively kill the military industrial complex and force the government to invest in peace, not war. Anyone who wants war will have to fight and pay for it themselves.

But since we have not had that reform, you don't correct things by eliminating the tax on the wealthy as that would still leave the national debt, allow them to keep their sheltered amounts overseas, and the ever shrinking middle class would be burdened with paying off the debt created by these idiot politicians from both parties.

I repeat what I have said in the past: first eliminate all foreign tax shelters, call back all the capital in overseas accounts, use the money to pay off the debt and to rebuild the infrastructure, then balance the national budget - only after that do we eliminate the income tax. After this is done the middle class will greatly expand and then we can have genuine tax reform such as by imposing a consumption tax which is consistent with what our Founding Fathers wanted. I am certain that similar reform would work in Canada.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
If that capital was earned outside the USA, then there is no call back.. Tax evasion (or really aggressive avoidance), you bet, get the dollars back, however, much/most of those trillions are offshored completely legally and by the rules (Read: earned outside the USA under a unique corp entity). In this circumstance, the IRS has no legs to enforce anything.

The bigger question here is 'why' are these companies taking these steps?... Answer that question and take steps to rectify and you'll see fewer examples like Haliburton, Apple, the entire Insurance industry (Bermuda), Investment houses, etc leaving in the first place.

Recently, you will recall that Burger King bough out Tim Hortons (don't know if the deal is still on), but they announced immediately they would relocate from Florida to Ontario for tax reasons.... The message can't get more glaring than this. Those profits will be transferred to Ontario and pay income tax there.. Sure, they pay tax in the individual jurisdictions where the revenues were generated, but Ontario is the net beneficiary... I don't need to spell it out for you, I'd imagine you know where I'm going here.

In terms of the overall tax system and potential restructuring - that is needed in most countries, but it is unlikely that this will be initiated for many years to come.... In the meantime, it's gvt's responsibility to maximize the upside for the nation and benefit of all the population

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Much of it was earned inside the USA and can readily be called back by legislation if the IRS does not regulatory authority. Any capital earned outside the USA can be taxed but that depends on treaties with the countries in which the monies were made. This may also impact on whether it can be called back.

Why are the big corporations (and wealthy elites) avoiding these taxes? That's easy - because they can. But they should be allowed that privilege. Every else has to pay, so should do. Welfare for the rich does not benefit society. Therefore, in order to maximize the upside tax reform is needed.

I should also add that on the one hand right wingers condemn President Obama for increasing the nation's debt (which not so strangely they failed to do when Bush was president) while on the other hand they refused to enact tax reform that could have ended some if not all of those tax shelters. Therefore, right wingers have no valid claim against Obama for increasing that debt when it is they who refused to end the unfair shelters.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Much of it was earned inside the USA and can readily be called back

As it should be

Why are the big corporations (and wealthy elites) avoiding these taxes? That's easy - because they can.

You're not dumb gopher... That answer is the chicken sh*t way out.

I should also add that on the one hand right wingers condemn President Obama for increasing the nation's debt (which not so strangely they failed to do when Bush was president)

I understand that the Obama admin is amassed more debt than any other President (i heard it was more than all combined actually)... And what is there to show for it?

Blaming Bush is disingenious