What Happened? Obama's 'Arrogance' Made Republicans' Case for Them

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
What Happened? Obama's 'Arrogance' Made Republicans' Case for Them

November 5, 2014 "One of the lessons of this election is that arrogance will bite you," said Republican pollster Whit Ayres Wednesday, just a few hours after Republicans took control of the Senate by a wider margin than expected and gained House seats across the country and in several governor's offices.

Ayres was talking about President Obama. "The president made the Republican argument for us. We barely even needed to make it," he said at National Journal LIVE's "Day After" conference discussing the impact of the Republican sweep. Ayres is president of North Star Opinion Research. The Day After conference was underwritten by the American Society of Anesthesiologists and United Technologies.

Democratic pollster Celinda Lake agreed that the midterm election results were a repudiation of Obama, but she also noted that traditional Democratic policies such as living wages and better working conditions are still popular among voters. "I think the Republicans were very successful in nationalizing the race," said Lake, who runs Lake Research Partners. But, she added, voters in some states "had the opportunity to directly vote on the issues, minimum wage in four states, paid sick days in two states, legalizing marijuana." In those cases, she said, "the Democratic agenda worked very well."

Regardless of whether voters like Democratic policies, the election results show that there is genuine frustration at Obama for not working well with Republicans, no matter whom people blame for the lack of action. Ayres echoed the repeated complaints from Republican members of Congress over the last two years that Obama wouldn't work with them. Exhibit A for that grievance is the Affordable Care Act, which was passed solely with Democratic votes. "Obamacare was an albatross around the necks of Democrats who voted for it," Ayres said. "We had clients who were perfectly willing to work with the president on health care reform. And the response was, 'We have the votes. We don't need it.' "

Lake echoed the statements of Democrats in Congress over the past two years. "I disagree with the assessment that the president hasn't tried to work with the Republicans. I think he has tried to work with Republicans," she said.

On immigration reform, for example, Obama made a tremendous effort last year to allow Republicans to take the lead in negotiating legislation in the Senate. He made a point of staying out of the spotlight for fear of making any compromise look like a White House victory. Even so, more than half of Senate Republicans voted against the compromise immigration measure. The Republican-led House rejected it immediately.

It's hard to overstate the antipathy between congressional Republicans and the White House, which mushroomed over the last year as GOP leaders sensed that they would be able to win control of the Senate and hence were reluctant to hand Obama anything that looked like a win. What's more, Obama couldn't stop complaining about them, blaming Congress anytime he faced questions about lack of action. The odds of getting a deal about even the most benign policies under those circumstances were almost nil.

The upcoming congressional session will raise the stakes for both parties to work together, political experts agreed. Obama has his legacy to worry about. The Republicans have the 2016 presidential race to worry about. Voters don't want the next two years to be dominated by a series of White House vetoes, which could happen if the Republican Congress overreaches and passes overly confrontational legislation, Lake said.

What's more, voters in 2016 will look different than the 2014 midterm electorate, which was 75 percent white and hence tilted toward Republicans, Ayres said. Traditionally, minority voting blocs turn out in greater numbers in presidential races, and they could make up 30 percent of the voters the next time around. That means Republicans will have to tack to the middle to pick up some nonwhite voters.

Two of the major issues that could come to the forefront over the next two years—immigration and tax reform—will require serious cooperation and politically risky trade-offs if anything is to be accomplished. "Those two issues will be the test of whether you can have true bipartisanship," said former Rep. Martin Frost, a Democrat from Texas.

The problem with deal-making however, is that lawmakers who fear primary challenges may not be willing to make compromises necessary to pass legislation. In the House, particularly, many Republicans are in safe conservative seats but will tack to the right if they even sense that they might have to face a primary challenger in their next race. That makes the negotiators' problems all the more difficult.

"The jury is out. We're all hopeful. We'd like to see bipartisinship and cooperation. But we can't tell you whether it's going to happen," Frost said.

source: What Happened? Obama's 'Arrogance' Made Republicans' Case for Them - NationalJournal.com

BooHoo :lol:

GOP picked up +7 in the senate and +10 in the house... Republicans painted Washington RED!!!

Landslide for Republicans... and now they can kick out Harry Reid.. YAHOO!!!

My happy dance... B*tches!!!

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Sensational headlines I guess first of all I don't find Obama arrogant at all
Secondly its a non Presidential election and the mains stream voters don't
traditionally show up its happened before and it will happen again.
Wait for the main event the next election with a president on the ticket and
see what happens. All those urban blue voters coming out will make a huge
difference. Should they stay home then I would agree there is a problem.
The races get much tighter when others come to vote in a Presidential year.
That is why I like Canada no mid terms, no proportional representation just a
flat out winner take all election nothing is more fun than that.
There is trouble I agree. Obama leaves anyway so the only people the voters
hurt was themselves if they wanted progress

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

Yes, but they Impeached Nixon for misusing such sensitive agencies as the Internal Revenue Service

Now Harry Reid can no longer shield Obama from the IRS targeting controversy

Impeach Obama Campaign — To Save America :lol:

Sen. Ted Cruz Talks Obama Impeachment - YouTube

There's a Good Canadian ;)

Obama may be protected from impeachment however; you can only impeach a legitimate president!

First order of business is??

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Wait for the main event the next election with a president on the ticket and
see what happens. All those urban blue voters coming out will make a huge
difference. Should they stay home then I would agree there is a problem.
The races get much tighter when others come to vote in a Presidential year.
That is why I like Canada no mid terms, no proportional representation just a
flat out winner take all election nothing is more fun than that.
There is trouble I agree. Obama leaves anyway so the only people the voters
hurt was themselves if they wanted progress

Do you ever get tired of being wrong?

It warms me to know that all the Hollywood big money donations were wasted on their candidates.

Hollywood Reeling From Bitter Election Defeats

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Now they can vote in Reagan's dream, the line item veto for Presidents. ;)

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Well... he might have found out that Nixon was not impeached.
And Obama wasn't born in Kenya. So what? Why should a few inconvenient facts get in the way of a good hatefest?

At any rate. I am reading the NYT comments section and boy are they mad!

Veto Everything! Filibuster Everything!

Hope and Change baby!
Of course they are. The same way the right has been spitting blood for the last eight years. You expected something different?

Let me know when they start calling everything the Repuliklans say or do treason.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Of course they are. The same way the right has been spitting blood for the last eight years. You expected something different?

Let me know when they start calling everything the Repuliklans say or do treason.

They are acting exactly as they've always acted so I did not expect anything different at all.

Well... Obama said he would be sending requests to Congress for funding to battle Ebola and for more muslim bombing money. I think they will oblige.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
They are acting exactly as they've always acted so I did not expect anything different at all.

Well... Obama said he would be sending requests to Congress for funding to battle Ebola and for more muslim bombing money. I think they will oblige.
We'll see how they behave when the debt ceiling needs raising in March.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
We'll see how they behave when the debt ceiling needs raising in March.

I'm thinking that the bill won't be as clean as Harry made it.

Will Obama be an obstructionist and veto it?

I can tell you. The Democrats were ACHING for the GOP to not raise the debt ceiling AND shut down the government last time around. They really needed that heading into the midterms. They really needed the GOP to obstruct just one more time.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I'm thinking that the bill won't be as clean as Harry made it.

Will Obama be an obstructionist and veto it?

I can tell you. The Democrats were ACHING for the GOP to not raise the debt ceiling AND shut down the government last time around. They really needed that heading into the midterms. They really needed the GOP to obstruct just one more time.

The GOP doesn't obstruct. They stand for American values, you Communist!