About time -NDP MP’s bill to make Remembrance Day a national statutory holiday gets s

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
NDP MP’s bill to make Remembrance Day a national statutory holiday gets support of Harper government | National Post
OTTAWA — The Conservative government is throwing its support behind an NDP private member’s bill that would make Remembrance Day a national statutory holiday, as Canadians mourn the death of two soldiers killed in separate attacks on home soil.

New Democrat MP Dan Harris’s Bill C-597 would establish a cross-country standard to treat Nov. 11 as a national statutory holiday, although it would still be up to provinces to enact their own legislation.

Members of Parliament will hold a second-reading free vote Wednesday on the bill, which is expected to pass with Conservative MPs’ support. If approved, the bill will go to the House of Commons Heritage committee for further study, before coming back to the Commons for a final vote.

Mr. Harris said he expects a prominent Conservative senator will sponsor the bill in the upper chamber, assuming it gets past third reading in the Commons, and he hopes the bill becomes law in time for Remembrance Day next year.

“The government throwing its support behind the bill means it should actually pass, and that makes a world of difference,” he said Tuesday. “The important thing at this point is to get this into legislation and have it enacted for the next Remembrance Day.”

Currently, the federal government recognizes Remembrance Day in the Holidays Act as a national holiday, but it doesn’t force provinces to treat Nov. 11 as a paid statutory holiday.

Mr. Harris’s bill would amend the Act to treat Remembrance Day like other paid, national statutory holidays, such as Victoria Day and Canada Day.

Currently, there is a hodgepodge of legislation in each of the provinces. Six provinces and three territories — British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland and Labrador, Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut — mark Remembrance Day as a paid general holiday.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
As the article says if the Conservatives have backed it, it'll pass. Not sure I agree with it though. It'd probably turn into just another long weekend.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
As the article says if the Conservatives have backed it, it'll pass. Not sure I agree with it though. It'd probably turn into just another long weekend.

I agree we don't need a paid day off. I've been paying my respects to our fallen wherever and whatever I'm doing.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
I don't agree with the day off either, I think the kids at school can have a much more meanful morning if they reserve this morning for this event.

Just another poorly thought out Policy by the NDP.
And they are a Government in waiting,,,omg!!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
"What's good for the goose is good for the gander".............I think there should be a provision for the kids to be able to attend the cenotaph which would pretty well carve up the day anyhow. Makes much more sense than that stupid day in February, where in Canada they are celebrating absolutely nothing.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Can't complain about more holidays lol

NO we can't complain about 'more holidays' but this should be a 'celebration of those we gave us what we have today'.

My only hope is that everything except essential services is closed that day, particularly the retail industry lest we have people flocking to the malls in search of dead soldier discounts..........

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
NO we can't complain about 'more holidays' but this should be a 'celebration of those we gave us what we have today'.

My only hope is that everything except essential services is closed that day, particularly the retail industry lest we have people flocking to the malls in search of dead soldier discounts..........

an excellent point...everything should be closed or forget it.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I'm sure everyone would love another paid holiday, but only a few will use the time to remember the sacrifices made and those who made them.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
an excellent point...everything should be closed or forget it.

The Legion had damned well better be able to remain open.

Hell, these guys can barely keep their doors open, but stop into any Legion on Nov 11th and they are packed.... It's great to see that support - too bad the other 364 days of the year they are not supported properly

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I'm sure everyone would love another paid holiday, but only a few will use the time to remember the sacrifices made and those who made them.

So, kind of like it is now? I really don't want to see it become a stat either, and you know me, I am usually all about the long weekend, but it wouldn't work as a stat.

I would like to see some measure of legislation, perhaps, mandating that all businesses do not open prior to noon. I don't think it's like that now but I'd like to see that. When I was in retail, we had to report for our regular shift, doors closed to the public and there was always an announcement just prior to 11am. That was company policy.

Since I've worked in business offices, there's nothing. And I find that rather shameful.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario

Hell, these guys can barely keep their doors open, but stop into any Legion on Nov 11th and they are packed.... It's great to see that support - too bad the other 364 days of the year they are not supported properly
That's because there are to many associates now.

I used to love the Legion when it was mostly Vets. It didn't matter whether it was Friday night or a roast beef dinner. You could be guaranteed great conversation.

Now, not so much and I really don't want to get into why at this moment, I'll leave that for Nov 11th.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

Maybe the legion should do a better job of offering things the public wants

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

goes without saying that the Legion should be open but shopping malls should not...the problem of course with the shopping malls is that out West in particular, shopping malls almost never close...retailers are pushing for Christmas day openings now...most are also currently closed New Years, but that's it...two days a year.

I get that the Christian holidays aren't important to many but it certainly is hard to staff various times of the year

at some point, all this shopping needs a limit and Veteran's Day would be a good start and make the fines over the top for opening and it should all flow to Veteran's fund

the holiday is coming but it should have limits

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
There's more than enough shallow, blingy chains out there, if that's what you're into.

goes without saying that the Legion should be open but shopping malls should not...the problem of course with the shopping malls is that out West in particular, shopping malls almost never close...retailers are pushing for Christmas day openings now...most are also currently closed New Years, but that's it...two days a year.

I get that the Christian holidays aren't important to many but it certainly is hard to staff various times of the year

at some point, all this shopping needs a limit and Veteran's Day would be a good start and make the fines over the top for opening and it should all flow to Veteran's fund

the holiday is coming but it should have limits
I think that's a bit heavy handed and kind of strikes a little at the freedom some gave their lives for.

Just how I sees it.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
There's more than enough shallow, blingy chains out there, if that's what you're into.

I think that's a bit heavy handed and kind of strikes a little at the freedom some gave their lives for.

Just how I sees it.

without respect, there is no freedom...why should some staffers not be able to observe the day because someone wants to wander around a store looking for a new skirt that they can purchase 363 other days of the year

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

They offer far more than the trends of the day.

For the most part, food is food and drink is drink and unless you habitually attend establishments where the entrees start at $30.00, the sole difference is in how short the waitress' skirt is

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

Just how I sees it.

Or it's about the general public standing up for those who gave lives for freedom and demonstrating what respect means for at least one morning in a year.

Just how I see it. ;)

It's not so much to ask.