Idiot ripped off by ex, owes bank big time!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
If she stole the card as is reported above, then she should be charged with a felony.

In a perfect world! I think the courts here are tied up with shootings, muggings, rapings, pedophilia and various other mayhem, so by the time it got to court, the interest owed on the amount stolen would possibly be a $million.

In Canada, there is no such a thing as a felony....but I hear you.

I think we just use other terms for it, Ron. Felony as far as I know just means indictable crime.
(I think the term "felony" sounds more nefarious) :)

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
If she was sentenced to that community service (what a joke), then the guy should be able to give enough proof to the banks that the card was indeed stolen and that SHE, not he, should have to pay the amount owed. Also, his Credit Rating should be restored because of this (whatever damage was done to it by this, that is. If he had a crappy one before, then leave it what it was before the stolen card).

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
If she was sentenced to that community service (what a joke), then the guy should be able to give enough proof to the banks that the card was indeed stolen and that SHE, not he, should have to pay the amount owed. Also, his Credit Rating should be restored because of this (whatever damage was done to it by this, that is. If he had a crappy one before, then leave it what it was before the stolen card).

Hey you are forgetting a couple of important facts. When you give someone your P.I.N. to a credit card, you are obviously giving them implicit permission to use the credit card. There was no theft involved. Second he broke one of the cardinal rules of the bank, YOU DON'T DIVULGE YOUR P.I.N. TO ANYONE. The bank owes him nothing (actually the bank may be able to lay a charge against him)

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Hey you are forgetting a couple of important facts. When you give someone your P.I.N. to a credit card, you are obviously giving them implicit permission to use the credit card. There was no theft involved. Second he broke one of the cardinal rules of the bank, YOU DON'T DIVULGE YOUR P.I.N. TO ANYONE. The bank owes him nothing (actually the bank may be able to lay a charge against him)

And when they broke up, any permission was done with as well. If she hadn't been in the wrong, she wouldn't have had to do any community service. Also, just because he gave her the PIN doesn't mean she could use the CARD without his permission, certainly not after they had broken up. And in the link, it says she STOLE the card. Permission NOT given.

And I don't see the bank legally being able to put a charge against him.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
And when they broke up, any permission was done with as well. If she hadn't been in the wrong, she wouldn't have had to do any community service. Also, just because he gave her the PIN doesn't mean she could use the CARD without his permission, certainly not after they had broken up. And in the link, it says she STOLE the card. Permission NOT given.

I'd say morally you are right, but legally you'd be dead wrong (or at the very least dead wrong to make that assumption) Courts are tied up all the time deciding on the disposition of assets gained during a relationship.

sultana

Oct 22, 2014
Does this mean if you ask your partner to hold your handbag whilst you tie your shoelaces then he is entitled to go through your purse (wallet)?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Bankers don't care about legalities, they just follow the money. Whoever looks like the best bet is the one they hound.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

I agree. She admitted to doing the crime. Her sentence of community service is ridiculous. Her sentence should be a repayment of the bills on the card.

In fact they have absolutely displayed here that crime does indeed pay.

Divide 20 by however much the little theif racked up and that is how much she just earned an hour.

It's easier to steal and do a few hours of community time than to work for the money.

I call baloney here.

He is not an idiot, he trusted her.

Are you telling us you do not trust your wife enough to have your pin number? Or is that different? My guy has mine because I would not be with anyone whom I did not trust at that level.

Was it naive... yeah apparently. None the less the sentencing is ridiculous.

The guy has to repay it....that is also ridiculous given the specific circumstances of her theft and admittance of the crime.

You think no theft was involved? I beg to differ. Using anyone else's money or their possessions without their express permission is THEFT.

Agreed

The case is just wrong in a myriad of ways.

Bankers don't care about legalities, they just follow the money. Whoever looks like the best bet is the one they hound.

Yes that's exactly what happened here. He has a job, she doesn't. Let's victimize him further.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
First off she should be charged with theft over five thousand dollars
Secondly Harper should put in a new law that Stupidity may be a
crime depending on circumstance and this is one of those times for
sure.
How stupid could anyone be?
You don't give your card to anyone and you don't give your pin number.
That includes family friends or others under any circumstance.
If they let him off the hook the rest of the customers would pay the bill
that is not right either

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I gotta wonder if JLM and the powers that be at CIBC believe that all victims of crime should be held accountable. After all, mugging victims shouldn't be anywhere that a mugger feels comfortable and rape victim.....well....let's not get into those tarts with their short skirts.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
What a sh itty lesson.

It's unfortunate that we have to treat everyone as a possible criminal in order to protect ourselves. It seems so wrong to be punished again for someone stealing from you.