The Death of Lifelong jobs

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Only the best will keep a job. It's a natural extension of survival of the fittest.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Interesting story.

In work in economic development I'm starting to realize that some people in the future will never hold a job but may become successful as "contractors"

I think a lot people do very well for themselves like that now.

I believe also that young people may already be in such a mindset, several employers that I've spoken to over the past few years have noted that hiring someone in their 20s means you may have them around 3 years max before they want to move on.

Northboy

Electoral Member
I think a lot people do very well for themselves like that now.

I believe also that young people may already be in such a mindset, several employers that I've spoken to over the past few years have noted that hiring someone in their 20s means you may have them around 3 years max before they want to move on.

With the speed of change and advances in technology you can't really blame them.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
They will need to be educated, or fully certified in a trade, both would be preferable. Taking courses, ongoing throughout their working life to improve their qualifications.
Highly adaptable, and able to relocate to where the work is.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The death of lifelong jobs: Unlike past generations, younger workers are having to adjust to employment instability

Interesting story.

In work in economic development I'm starting to realize that some people in the future will never hold a job but may become successful as "contractors"

Perhaps a little hyperbole here. People are going to continue needing to be fed, clothed, washed, have dental work performed, have surgery and lastly buried. Criminals are going to have to be caught, tried, judged, sentenced, jailed etc. Building are going to have to be erected, highways will continue to need maintenance. I think the trick is to pick something that is going to be permanent and then make sure you are one of the best in the business. But at the same time hone your versatility.:)

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Only the best will keep a job. It's a natural extension of survival of the fittest.

BS. Only those that flock to the government trough have much hope of a single lifelong employer. Even that might not last forever now. The rest of us have been downsized, rightsized and outsourced for the last two decades. And almost no one in construction will have just one employer because of the nature of the beast.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

I'd prefer something stable and long term. I've been working 6-12 month contracts for a few years now. Its a bit annoying after awhile. The only way I'd want to move on is if I was offered something better. If Im content with where I am chances are I wont really be looking for that.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
;-).......As for me
I'm stickin with the union
stickin with the union
stickin with the union
As for me
etc.

Join in Taxslave. In key of G.
or whatever.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
BS. Only those that flock to the government trough have much hope of a single lifelong employer. Even that might not last forever now. The rest of us have been downsized, rightsized and outsourced for the last two decades. And almost no one in construction will have just one employer because of the nature of the beast.

`yup

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Unfortunately, belonging to a union is no assurance of long-term employment either.

the people I cover for in the union via contract seem to do pretty well, even the lazy willful ones.

between the union and the labour laws, getting rid of sludge is difficult to impossible, you'd practically have to kill a kid and be witnessed doing so

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Actually that wasn't the case with most of the ones who worked with me, as soon as Glen Clark was gone a lot of the people I worked with were also gone or in the best case scenario replacing others who were gone. The Union sure as hell didn't help them either.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Just another layer of bureaucracy, not much has changed since John Fryer was a honcho back in the 80s.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Just another layer of bureaucracy, not much has changed since John Fryer was a honcho back in the 80s.

There are some benefits. We have an excellent pension plan. right up there with government employees although there is some erosion on the contribution side. And in large projects having someone do the bargaining is convenient. The downside of building trades is being trade specific so it is not easy to do a career change although that is slowly changing.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
It will be 5 years for me in February since I accepted the employment offer with my company. I hadn't even walked across the stage yet at graduation. Three promotions, and the future looks bright. I have no reason to look elsewhere, because my employer offers lots of development for employees.

I think it's interesting to note, that decades ago, many employers offered training on the job. You didn't necessarily require a certain skill set to be hired. Now, we're expected to have lots of training, minimum qualifications that sometimes include advanced training. The types of companies where employees stick around longer today is similar to those employers years ago who developed the skills of their associates on the job.

If the company shows no loyalty or interest in developing talent, why stick around on a dead end?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I was thinking about this yesterday for me lifelong job was never a sure thing.
I started in the orchards
became a grocery clerk
went into radio for three decades
managed night clubs
sold newspaper advertising
did television commercials
night club DJ
farm sales rep
retired and came back to the farm
now I am farming and the president of a farm organization
and sit of national and provincial boards of directors
and slowly working on putting an internet radio station together
a year behind schedule
in addition I have two books of poetry copy write stage no time to publish

I enjoyed every minute of everything I did it game me insight into the views of the world
it also taught me to be tolerant of others and some point to say enough its about
balance.
I don't think life long jobs are a good thing they teach people to be comfortable and
not reach out to try new things