Black & Orange Day, What A Ripoff

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Happy Orange and Black day: Canadian schools turn against Halloween

It is that spooky time of year when Canadian parents and students in small pockets around the country bristle at being told their schools will not be celebrating Halloween this year.
Instead, children will be welcome to celebrate something a little safer, something that doesn’t have its roots in the occult. Call it Spirit Day, or Black and Orange Day, or just Friday.
This year’s Ground Zero for anti-Halloween outrage is Windsor, Ont., where parents are unhappy that Anderon Public School has barred Halloween costumes and parties.
The Windsor Star reports that the public elementary school has instead implemented “Black and Orange Day.” Which, y’know, are the colours of the Halloween season.
There will be no parade, and costumes are outright discouraged, with the school saying it would be neat if kids wore black and orange clothing. Though it’s not all trick, there will be some treat: Classes are welcome to hold discussions about the history of Halloween and the different customs that have been practiced over the years.
On its website, Anderon Public Elementary School says they stopped allowing candy a few years ago, and the latest shift is to meet its commitment to inclusivity:

Halloween is an exciting time of year for many families. However, in some Anderdon households it is not observed at all, and therefore a school wide celebration presents with some anxiety around that day for many of our students.

The observation of Halloween is not part of the curriculum and is a tradition that is celebrated by some but not inclusive to all.
That’s the part that riles some parents: The idea of inclusivity through limitations.
“Parents are upset about seeing Canadians continually give up traditions and losing sight of accepting others for whoever they are,” parent Shannon Taylor told the Star.
“My nine-year-old son came home (last Friday) and said, ‘Mom, they’re taking away everything that was fun at school.’”

The Windsor school isn’t alone. North Ward School in Paris, Ont., is banning Halloween for the first time this year for a variety of reasons, including the increased level of supervision needed to monitor the appropriateness of costumes, and the frequency with which hot, uncomfortable costumes make children cry during class.
A London, Ont., school board candidate actually ran on the promise to deny schools the right to ban Halloween based on the fact there is no board policy on the matter.
This issue is by no means new. In recent years, a handful of schools have joined the movement against Halloween.
Last year, the popular Halloween alternative was “Spirit Day,” so at least we are making progress on that front. Black and Orange Day at least acknowledges that October 31 was once Halloween.
Now it has just been given a maudlin name to avoid offending anyone. Sort of like how Ottawa’s CFL team is called the RedBlacks, because who’s going to get offended and mount a petition against a couple of random words smashed together?
While Halloween has its roots in Christianity, that influence is gone completely at this time. The Vatican recently condemned Halloween for its “undercurrent of occultism.”
Either way, it is increasingly becoming a non-starter in Canadian schools. And parents are noticing.
Just wait until classes start marking Dec. 25 with Red and White Ho Ho Happy Day.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dail...lack-day-canadian-schools-turn-122333329.html

It must really suck to be a kid now a days.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The host nation is still infected with the socially squeamish liberalism virus. Eventually we will kill and purge it.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
there is a google link embedded.

Spammy! LOL. I meant the stuff in the link was lame! LOL

Halloween is Halloween, it's fun for kids, for adults, it's about costumes and candy, and a little bit of spooky fun. Nobody should be trying to change it, don't like, then don't participate. But for those of us who do like it, leave it alone, ya know?

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I don't care if you celebrate Halloween. Just don't do it in front of my kids.

HARDEARNED TAXDOLLARS should also not be spent on your devil worshiping holiday.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Spammy! LOL. I meant the stuff in the link was lame! LOL

Halloween is Halloween, it's fun for kids, for adults, it's about costumes and candy, and a little bit of spooky fun. Nobody should be trying to change it, don't like, then don't participate. But for those of us who do like it, leave it alone, ya know?
I wasn't sure. no probs. the Halloween theme isn't making the links clearly visible unless the arrow/pointer is placed over the word/words.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
You sound sensitive.

It sad how some people raise their kids to be such sad sacks.

I took it as sarcasm and decided to avert a pointless argument against a position I don't actually hold, lol.

I wasn't sure. no probs. the Halloween theme isn't making the links clearly visible unless the arrow/pointer is placed over the word/words.

Ah, I had to turn mine off (Halloween theme), it was hard on the eyes.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
the tiny ones looked so cute today as they paraded through the office in their little lion, and princess and pirate costumes. One kid is going to be possible future corporate material for sure. He got his treat, stood to the side and jumped back in line again. When I told him he had already received his treat, he looked up with these huge brown eyes looking all sad, opened his treat bag and shook his head.

yeah he got another one

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
the tiny ones looked so cute today as they paraded through the office in their little lion, and princess and pirate costumes. One kid is going to be possible future corporate material for sure. He got his treat, stood to the side and jumped back in line again. When I told him he had already received his treat, he looked up with these huge brown eyes looking all sad, opened his treat bag and shook his head.

yeah he got another one
Oh the horror, won't someone think of Cord's kids, lol.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
I took it as sarcasm and decided to avert a pointless argument against a position I don't actually hold, lol.

Ah, I had to turn mine off (Halloween theme), it was hard on the eyes.
I know what you mean. I will go back to the space theme sometime after midnight. I hope that andem will create a reverse video theme for those who find all the white too much on the eyes. :) :cool:

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

yeah he got another one

little bugger had the biggest eyes I have ever seen in my life...looked right at me and hit my heart. opened the little treat bag, man I could have dumped everything I had left into it, the kids teeth are gonna fall out

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Oh for gods sake, Halloween is a celebration that never did really get stolen by
the church. They tried with All Hallows Eve but it failed. Halloween is a left over
from the Druids likely and that is part of the culture of the Celts. If so why can't
they celebrate it? The are multicultural are they not they are supposed to be about
in inclusion. But only inclusion they can control.
No I'm not a Druid or into any of this stuff I am just tired of the system destroying
the celebrations of being a kid and trying to practice Socio Cleansing as I call it.
Anything that is deemed to offend something, which is anything they are out to
wipe from the list of celebration.
Its sort of like seeing October come on the Calendar and deciding to cal the World Series
something else in baseball.
they took the pagan holiday of solstice and called it Christmas, Easter was a pagan holiday .
so they changed it and so on now its Halloweens turn its time to say NO
in addition the same people are now trying to get rid of Christmas and call it Happy Holidays
Surely there are more important things to worry about.
As for tax dollars and schools its not a real argument either we are supposed to educate and
have people will a well rounded understand of all society and there are those who celebrate
Halloween
The real measure of democracy is more than just majority rules the intent of democracy is
the majority rules but the will of the minority must still be respected
lately that doesn't always happen