8 white cops, 1 black homeless man, 46 bullets

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
8 white cops, 1 black homeless man, 46 bullets

A video has surfaced showing a homeless man being shot dead by eight police officers as he held a small penknife. 46 bullets were fired.

Milton Hall, 49, has been described as “a community worker, and he was always there speaking out for those whom he considered the weak, for those who did not have the strength to speak for themselves,” according to the American Civil Liberties Union, which released the disturbing video.

Given such seemingly clean credentials, it’s unfathomable to imagine such a person being shot over a dozen times for merely holding a pen knife at a safe distance from police officers. But that’s exactly what happened in July 2012 in Saginaw, Michigan, after Hall got into an argument with police following an alleged fight with a store clerk.

The graphic video, taken by a bystander, shows Hall in a parking lot surrounded by eight police officers, all of whom have their weapons drawn and aimed at him. One of the officer’s orders Hall to drop his weapon. He refuses. After a period of about 10 seconds the officers open fire, with Hall appearing to be dead before he hit the ground.

Of the 46 shots fired, Hall had been hit 14 times.

As if that were not enough, the officers are seen in the video attempting to handcuff the mortally wounded man.

One onlooker can be heard asking, “Why did they have to shoot him so many times?”

Nevertheless, the US Department of Justice said it failed to find“sufficient evidence of willful misconduct” to press charges against the policemen, saying that Milton Hall and his pen knife presented a threat to eight armed police officers.

His mother, Jewel Hall, who believes that her son was “assassinated,” has been searching for justice for the past two years to no avail.

A Mother's Mission: The Shooting of Milton Hall (NSFW) - YouTube

“His blood running down the street like water. And he wasn't a threat, I mean, he had a little pen knife. He had no idea that those policemen would do that to him...As long as he was on his medication and all, he did fine. It was when he wasn't on his medication that he was impatient,” she said in an interview conducted by the ACLU.

“To have eight people stand in front of one human being and shoot at him 46 times and hit him 14 times – it's been devastating to our family. It was devastating to the community, to everybody. And justice still has not been served.”

Today the ACLU is presenting this video at a conference about racial disparities in the US criminal justice system before the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights, which is part of the Organization of American States. The surfacing of the graphic video comes at a particularly sensitive time in the US, where the nation is still grappling with the killing of 18 year-old African-American Michael Brown, who was shot by a white police officer in August in Ferguson, Missouri, sparking days of protests and violence that continues to simmer.

Meanwhile, Milton Hall's mother says she has dedicated her life to working “with parents whose kids have been similarly killed.”

“What needs to change is how police deal with situations like the one that ended in my son's death,” she said in her ACLU interview. “The elected leaders and community leaders must address conditions that allow police to use excessive and deadly force with impunity.”

source: http://rt.com/usa/200855-police-whi..._medium=aplication_chrome&utm_campaign=chrome

OK generally I will stand with law enforcement.. but if 8 officers can't take a pen knife away from a homeless guy.. come on..

Everyone of those officers need to be charged with manslaughter and fired.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
He had it coming. He was a clear threat to the officers.

Good thing it was a pen knife and not a pen, eh? Who knows what havoc he'd have (w)reaked...

Are officers taught to use ONLY lethal force? Is there no time or training for non lethal force?

Hunters will shoot over the head of a bear in charge, can't officers? scare the individual maybe?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Good thing it was a pen knife and not a pen, eh? Who knows what havoc he'd have (w)reaked...
Well, the pen is mightier than the sword, so the penknife must be a greater danger than a swordknife, so clearly deadly force was justified.

Good thing the cops fired more rounds than the entire German police force fired in all of 2013. Can't be too careful.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

Are officers taught to use ONLY lethal force? Is there no time or training for non lethal force?

Hunters will shoot over the head of a bear in charge
, can't officers? scare the individual maybe?
Huh?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Hunters will shoot over the head of a bear in charge, can't officers? scare the individual maybe?

Only a bad shot would shoot OVER the head of a charging bear.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Well, Officer Fatass McLard there in the middle sure wasn't gonna take him on hand-to-hand.

Is it just my impression or are most policemen overweight? Too many doughnuts and not enough exercise? Whenever I see police in action on the news, they all seem to be fat asses.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Is it just my impression or are most policemen overweight? Too many doughnuts and not enough exercise? Whenever I see police in action on the news, they all seem to be fat asses.
Part of that may be the body armour, but if Officer McLard is body armoured, it must be nine-inch battleship plates.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
this video has been around for a couple of years but re-released by the ACLU for perhaps some maximum trolling.

annnyway

After the shooting, all of the SPD officers at the scene wrote reports. In these reports, the officers who discharged their weapons explained that they did so because they believed Hall posed an imminent threat to the officers’ safety.

A fter a careful review of all of the evidence, experienced prosecutors from the Criminal Section of the Civil Rights Division and the United States Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Michigan have determined that t he evidence in this case is insufficient to prove , beyond a reasonable doubt, that the SPD officers willfully shot Hall for an unlawful purpose, rather than for their stated purpose of preventing Hall from harming SPD staff. Even if the officers were mistaken in their assessment of the threat posed by Hall, this would not establish that the officers acted willfully, or with an unlawful intent, when using deadly force against Hall. Accordingly , this tragic event does not present sufficient evidence of willful misconduct to give rise to a federal criminal prosecution of the police officers involved.

Justice Department Announces Results of Investigation into the Death of Milton Hall | OPA | Department of Justice

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Only a bad shot would shoot OVER the head of a charging bear.

I've seen a few videos of hunters out..hunting who have been charged by grizzly bears. Momma grizzlies (should have added that to my original post) and they've shot over the head of the bear. I was wondering if it's something officers could do. Sort of stun a would be aggressor. Make him sh it his pants while living, rather then dead.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I've seen a few videos of hunters out..hunting who have been charged by grizzly bears. Momma grizzlies and they've shot over the head of the bear. I was wondering if it's something officers could do. Sort of stun a would be aggressor. Make him **** his pants while living, rather then dead.
Not a great idea, Twila. Bullets have a bad habit of keeping on going after they miss their target. Probably no threat in a grizzly bear environment, but not so good in a city.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Not a great idea, Twila. Bullets have a bad habit of keeping on going after they miss their target. Probably no threat in a grizzly bear environment, but not so good in a city.

ah, right. Hadn't thought of that. As you can tell, I don't fire guns..or shoot guns. Or do what ever it is you do with guns to make them go BOOM!.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Part of that may be the body armour, but if Officer McLard is body armoured, it must be nine-inch battleship plates.

Interesting that six or eight shots were fired after the guy was on the ground and still. I'm no expert on police tactics but did they all have to fire? Of the 46 shots, 32 went somewhere else......maybe they all did have to fire.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Interesting that six or eight shots were fired after the guy was on the ground and still. I'm no expert on police tactics but did they all have to fire? Of the 46 shots, 32 went somewhere else......maybe they all did have to fire.
This is America. The cops' conduct was restrained. Down hereabouts, it's only considered excessive force if they reload.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I've seen a few videos of hunters out..hunting who have been charged by grizzly bears. Momma grizzlies (should have added that to my original post) and they've shot over the head of the bear. I was wondering if it's something officers could do. Sort of stun a would be aggressor. Make him sh it his pants while living, rather then dead.
When I took the wilderness handgun safety course, the instructor explained that a charging bear will travel 50 ft. in one second, that if you don't make that first shot count, you might not have time for another.
Those Hunters (Plural) meant a back-up gun.
But I agree that those cops overdid it, by a long shot.....