P.S.A. screening test finally recognized for what it is!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
According to the news tonight the P.S.A. test for Prostate Cancer is not as useful as once thought, for the reasons my doctor told me 20 years ago- too many false positives. If you get a low reading no problems but if you get a high reading you're not sure what to do.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
what of it...more often the size of the prostate is more indicative...any time I've had a higher reading it was almost expected and easily explained...bladder infection, post transrectal ultrasound (maybe even those that enjoy a little bum fun, who knows)...mild trauma and such...go back in a few weeks and do it again and readings are 'normal' or acceptable...costs me nothing other than a couple minutes of my time...beside, any urologist worth his salt will have regular digital rectal exams, abdominal ultrasounds and the aforementioned rectal ultrasounds for measuring prostate volume as part of a prostate health regimen, especially for those more at risk such as myself...nobody should be relying on one simple indicator test as their be all and end all at any rate.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
costs me nothing here anymore...still, a few bucks for a re-do of an errant result is worth it wouldn't you say.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Following the butthole test and an announcement of an enlarged prostate, doc told me the prostate gland is like ears. It never stops growing. Dad had prostate cancer so I'm deemed high risk so the negatives from a PSA are reassuring

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Following the butthole test and an announcement of an enlarged prostate, doc told me the prostate gland is like ears. It never stops growing. Dad had prostate cancer so I'm deemed high risk so the negatives from a PSA are reassuring

Same as me if the number is low (like mine is a small fraction) you're safe, it's the poor bastards with high numbers who may well be safe too but can't be sure but most of them are worrying for nothing. Some even have invasive procedures for nothing. Most prostate cancer isn't the fatal type.