US to recognize gay marriage in another six states

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
US to recognize gay marriage in another six states

Washington (AFP) - The US government announced Saturday it would recognize same sex marriages in six more states, following an earlier Supreme Court decision not to take up the debate.

Related Stories

U.S. recognizes gay marriages in six more states Reuters
Same-sex marriage gets another big boost from the Obama administration Christian Science Monitor
U.S. To Recognize Same-Sex Marriage In 6 New States Huffington Post
U.S. government recognizes same-sex marriage in six more states The Week (RSS)
Arizona, Alaska join 29 other states recognizing gay marriage Christian Science Monitor
The announcement from Attorney General Eric Holder means gay and lesbian married couples in those states will have the same legal rights and federal benefits as heterosexual couples.

The latest decision covers Alaska, Arizona, Idaho, North Carolina, West Virginia, and Wyoming, and comes on the heels of a similar decision last week that extended federal recognition to seven states.

Holder's announcement "brings the total number of states where same sex couples are recognized by the federal government to 32, plus the District of Columbia," the Justice Department said.

"With each new state where same sex marriages are legally recognized, our nation moves closer to achieving of full equality for all Americans," Holder said.

"We are acting as quickly as possible with agencies throughout the government to ensure that same sex married couples in these states receive the fullest array of benefits allowable under federal law."

The statement said Holder had also determined the government would legally recognize same sex marriages in two states, Indiana and Wisconsin, conducted in June. Court battles over gay marriage bans in those states are ongoing.

Earlier this month, the US Supreme Court snubbed appeals from several states where state-level bans on gay marriage had been deemed unconstitutional.

Marriages in those states had been on hold pending the court's decision on whether to hear the cases. The ruling means that same sex couples in the five states can now have their unions recognized.

The number of states legalizing gay unions is expected to increase.

source: US to recognize gay marriage in another six states

This will be as important as the 13th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, when gay marriage is legal in all 50 states.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It's not marriage.

I hear you Walter, but it's hard to argue against what society decides. I think many of us seniors gravitate toward the philosophy of the traditional family unit and what we thought for years was "normal" sexual relations. Is the new way going to prove better in the long run? I don't know, but at the same time I have no control over it. It brings one back to the alcoholic's prayer- "Accept the things you can not change............................"

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Jesus Christ

Superstar!!

Jesus Christ Superstar - Superstar - YouTube

Love that song...

Walter, life is too short to waste time hating anyone...

If two people who love each other want to be married and be happy, who are you to deny there happiness. Who are you to say they can't?? Because of your religious beliefs?

Sure I make jokes and troll about homosexuals.. "God mad Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve" whatever. But they truth is I now same sex couples who are very happy together.. I am happy for them.

I'm not into Politically Correct BS.. I just go with the flow. (whatever time of the month it is)

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Over the years people have read and interpreted the Bible and the Qur'an to match their personal and or society beliefs ....
I have left this statement open-ended so that nobody and everybody feels pointed....Bible thumpers and sinners alike

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Does that mean if a man doesn't leave his father and mother, and instead the "wife" moves in with the man in his family home, they're not married?

More like a real man doesn't depend on Mommy and Daddy for anything once he's married!:) (He gets off the one t it and onto another:))