Sensational 'Satanic' trial comes to end in Ontario

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

BARRIE - Mark Dobson sliced the throats of two women as part of a religious, satanic cult and is now pretending to be insane to avoid life in prison, a Crown attorney alleged on Friday.

"This was a cult," said Crown attorney Shannon Curry in her closing arguments. "And now he wants to be found not criminally responsible."

It was the last day on trial for 24-year-old Dobson, who is charged with the first-degree murders of his girlfriend, 32-year-old Mary Hepburn of Barrie, and 52-year-old Helen Dorrington of Cold Lake, Alta.

The Crown agrees Dobson suffers from mental illness, but not a "major mental illness" that would make him incapable of understanding that the killings were morally wrong.

Defense lawyer Mitch Eisen insists his client is schizophrenic and psychotic, and believed he was morally right to kill the women.

"He loved these women. He cared about these women," Eisen said. "Why would he kill them? ... It's because he was delusional... He thought he was helping them."

The women were found with their heads partially severed, surrounded with small dolls and satanic art in a room at a Travelodge motel in Barrie on May 2, 2012.

From the beginning, when the women were discovered in blood-soaked beds by horrified staff, Dobson admitted he was the killer.
The three met on the Joy of Satan website where Dobson and Hepburn fell in love. She moved from British Columbia to Barrie where they lived in squalor.

Dobson found great comfort in the website, where some 13,000 members discuss magic, spells and demon worship.

If found guilty, Dobson will be sentenced to life in prison. If he is found not criminally responsible, he will be treated in a psychiatric facility for an indefinite time.

Justice David Watt is expected to issue a verdict Dec. 12.

Sun News : Sensational 'Satanic' trial comes to end in Ontario

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
The Crown agrees Dobson suffers from mental illness, but not a "major mental illness" that would make him incapable of understanding that the killings were morally wrong.

Wouldn't his being a satanist imply he knew just how wrong it was and THAT'S why he killed them?

Or am I just thinking in stereotypes. Are satanists benign?

It would really suck to be a failure at satanism. Sheesh!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Wouldn't his being a satanist imply he knew just how wrong it was and THAT'S why he killed them?

There is no downside really. What can happen to you? You go to Hell. Victory!

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
It is claimed Satanic acts are committed by those who are possessed NO I don't personally
believe that but these people claim they were not involved the spirit of Satan invades them and
takes control.
Personally evil people do evil things and should face the music

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

wouldn't it be the opposite? Being a satanist (and what is a satanist) he would think it right to kill which would imply mental illness (not saying he shouldn't be held accountable regardless).....I don't know...it's all whacko stuff to me

he thinks he is some kind of master of the dark arts, well, now he will find the dark side of the real world, a mental facility or a prison cell...he got exactly what he sought

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

Its a really vague term. Most of them are pretty benign and it has nothing to do with what we think of as Satan.

Plus even if it did no matter what side a person is on be it good or evil, they think they are on the good side.