Giant poppy made by 1,400 GCHQ intelligence agency staff

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
More than 1,400 staff of British intelligence agency GCHQ have created a giant remembrance poppy at the organisation's "doughnut" headquarters in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire.

Staff dressed up in red rain ponchos to form the 125ft poppy to mark the start of the Royal British Legion's Gloucestershire poppy appeal.

The 1,308 civilian staff were joined by black-uniformed Royal Navy personnel, who made up the centre of the poppy, and military personnel who created the 92ft stalk.

A GCHQ spokesman said: "Thanks to military planning and some loud hailers, it took just over an hour to get everyone into position."

GCHQ - Government Communications Headquarters - was formed in 1919 and is responsible for providing signals intelligence (SIGINT) and information assurance to the British Government and Armed Forces. It has over 6,000 employees and is one of the three UK intelligence and security agencies, alongside MI5 and the Secret Intelligence Service (MI6).

Giant poppy made by 1,400 GCHQ intelligence agency staff

24 October 2014
BBC News

More than 1,400 intelligence agency staff have created a giant poppy in the centre of the GCHQ "doughnut' building in Cheltenham.

Staff, dressed in red rain ponchos, marked the launch of the Royal British Legion's Gloucestershire poppy appeal by forming the 125ft poppy.

The 1,308 civilian staff were joined by black-uniformed Royal Navy personnel, who made up the centre of the poppy, and military personnel who created the 92ft stalk.

A GCHQ spokesman said: "Thanks to military planning and some loud hailers, it took just over an hour to get everyone into position."

The Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ) is one of the three UK intelligence and security agencies, alongside MI5 and the Secret Intelligence Service (MI6).

The agency said there was "no shortage of volunteers" wanting to support the Legion.

One participant, who made up part of a poppy petal, said: "I was really proud to take part and show my support for the Royal British Legion by coming together with my colleagues, united in purpose, to honour those who have served and continue to serve this country."

Chris, a GCHQ civilian employee, said: "I've worked with the military in Afghanistan and seen first-hand how GCHQ intelligence can help keep UK troops safe whilst on operation.

"I'm proud to see so many from GCHQ come together today to show their support for the Royal British Legion and the military family."

Nicole Mayall, from Gloucestershire's poppy appeal, said it was "moving to see so many people standing together to support the work" of the Legion.

The red rain ponchos used are to be donated to local scout groups and Bloodbikes, a charity which provides an out-of-hours emergency medical courier service to the local area.

BBC News - Giant poppy made by 1,400 GCHQ intelligence agency staff

Last edited: