Giant sex toy or Christmas tree? Paris baffled and outraged (VIDEO)

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Giant sex toy or Christmas tree? Paris baffled and outraged (VIDEO)

A giant green Christmas tree designed by a US artist was erected in a Paris square, but city residents say the artwork resembles a sex toy. Some outraged people even attempted to deflate the sculpture.

The 24-meter-tall sculpture by American artist Paul McCarthy, was erected in the Place Vendome in the center of Paris.

According to McCarthy, the “Tree” installed for the International Contemporary Art Fair (FIAC) scheduled October 23 to the 26 in Paris, is “an abstract work.”

“It all started with a joke. Originally, I thought that a butt plug had a shape similar to the sculptures of [Romanian artist] Constantin Brâncusi. Afterwards, I realized that it looked like a Christmas tree,” he told French Le Monde. “People can be offended if they want to think of it as a plug, but for me it is more of an abstraction.”

France: Butt plug or Christmas tree? Judge Paris's sexy sculpture for yourself - YouTube

However, some Parisians say the artwork looks like a 'butt plug', a sex toy inserted into the anus. Definitely not a Christmas tree!

"I'll get right to it, for me it's a plug! But hey, you can see other things, but certainly not a tree as some claim,” a local man told Ruptly.

"This is one of the most beautiful squares in Paris - I like contemporary art, that is not the problem, but this work ugly, I find the color ugly, I find it violent at this location,” a local woman added.

Jofy @sir_jody
Follow
Godzilla coughs in Paris, dislodges buttplug RT @ParisZigZag Très bon cru pour la fiac 2014 si vous voulez notre avis http://twitter.com/ParisZigZag/status/522890249463402496/photo/1pic.twitter.com/dUMehY9xJq

McCarthy was reportedly attacked by a man who hit him three times in the face and told him, “you're not French and the work has no place on the square.”

The hashtag #PlugGate has recently appeared in social media. Hyperallergic, a Brooklyn-based arts blog called the sculpture "Paul McCarthy's XXXmas Tree."

Printemps Français @nelachonsrien
Follow
Un plug **** géant de 24 m de haut vient d'être installé place Vendôme !
Place #Vendome défigurée !
Paris humilié !

Twitter also burst with outrageous remarks about the ‘sex toy Christmas Tree.’

"A giant 24-metre tall butt plug has just been set up at Place Vendôme! Place Vendôme disfigured! Paris humiliated!" wrote the Printemps Français, a right-wing pressure group.

In the meantime, the organizers of the festival said they had received a green light from the city authorities.

“This work received all the necessary authorizations: the Prefecture de Police, Paris Town Hall, the Ministry of Culture and the Comité Vendôme, which represents the business owners on the square,”FIAC Artistic Director Jennifer Flay told Le Monde. “What’s art good for if not to disturb, raise questions, to reveal the weaknesses in society?”

On Saturday, however, it was reported that somebody tried to deflate the inflammable sculpture cutting the cables the "Tree" was kept in place with. It was left slumped on the pavement.

"Individuals waited until the security guard's attention was elsewhere and cut the cable that kept the sculpture in place," a police source told AFP. “The inflated work slumped down."

Police said they will resurrect the ‘Tree’ as soon as possible.

source: Giant sex toy or Christmas tree? Paris baffled and outraged (VIDEO) ? RT News

They found Petros sex toy :lol:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
We were already discussing the fabulous Christmas butt plug somewhere around here. Not sure where, still funny though.

Didn't know you fancied them BOOMer.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Love the way the French ladies talk.

Gives me les bumps de goose..............:lol:

Even if they're only asking someone to put out the garbage..........:love3: