Ship carrying 450 tonnes of fuel adrift off B.C. coast

Northboy

Electoral Member
A 135-metre bulk carrier hauling bunker and diesel fuel has lost power and is drifting off the B.C. coast toward Haida Gwaii.
The Canadian Coast Guard received a call about the vessel at about 11 p.m. Thursday night.
The ship, which had been travelling from Everett, Wash., to Russia, is carrying 400 tonnes of bunker fuel and 50 tonnes of diesel fuel, Ron MacDougall, Acting Sub-lieutenant with the Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre in Victoria, said on Friday.
© Rafal Gerszak/for The Globe and Mail A bulk carrier similar to those pictured here has lost power and is adrift in rough seas off the coast of B.C.
The vessel has lost power and is about 14 kilometres from land, Acting Sub.-Lt. MacDougall said.
Weather on the scene is “severe”, with 50-knot winds and seven-metre seas, but is expected to ease this morning, he added.
A Coast Guard helicopter was dispatched from Comox, B.C., to evacuate the vessel master, who was injured.
The U.S. Coast Guard is also involved in the situation and is providing a helicopter to assist in evacuating crew if that is required, Acting Sub.-Lt. MacDougall said.
A tugboat is en route from Prince Rupert but is not expected to make it to the scene Friday. A Canadian Coast Guard vessel is also on its way to the scene.
There are 11 crew members on board, Acting Sub.-Lt. MacDougall said.
He would not comment on the possibility of the vessel running aground, saying only that “there are assets moving as quickly as possible” to get to the scene.
The name of the ship is Simushir. The Council of the Haida Nation called the situation an emergency and is setting up a command post in Old Masset.
On its Facebook page, the Council of the Haida Nation on Friday morning said “Coast Guard is preparing for the worst with the ship hitting ground in 3-4 hours” and called the situation “dire.”

Source: Globe and Mail

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
I know WCQCI-if the ship is drifting parallel to the coast it's caught in that famous North/South current and isn't going anywhere near land-it can't.

Once in a 168' retired mine sweeper we hit that current coming around the Top End @ Langara headed to Englefield Bay-it was so strong gave us another 7 kph all the way down.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
For the sake of many I hope it stays at sea until help arrives if only a few liters
spill into water or land the end of the pipeline debate would come to an end.
The people believe just like the Titanic it can't happen so if it does no amount
of reason would convince BC residents otherwise

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
For the sake of many I hope it stays at sea until help arrives if only a few liters
spill into water or land the end of the pipeline debate would come to an end.
The people believe just like the Titanic it can't happen so if it does no amount
of reason would convince BC residents otherwise

and why should it.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
and why should it.

How about because there is nothing in the world that we do from when we climb out of bed in the morning until we return to bed at night that is 100% safe? -:)

Not according to them they aren't-I doubt you've ever met one of those miserable argumentative SoBs.

What? You mean working stiffs just trying to earn a living in not the best of conditions away from home?

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
How about because there is nothing in the world that we do from when we climb out of bed in the morning until we return to bed at night that is 100% safe? -:)

being ultra protective over our environment is much more important to me than climbing out of bed and
stumbling over the dog. the environment is for 'all' of us, for our earth, not just for you and me.
being loosy goosey about what kind of ships go up and down our coasts is irresponsible and allows
big corporations, who don't give a damn, to make their millions taking a big risk with our land.

there must be a balance, and saying nothing and doing nothing doesn't allow that balance, it allows
us to be taken advantage of, let alone the deaths And suffering of birds,animals and fish.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
being ultra protective over our environment is much more important to me than climbing out of bed and
stumbling over the dog. the environment is for 'all' of us, for our earth, not just for you and me.
being loosy goosey about what kind of ships go up and down our coasts is irresponsible and allows
big corporations, who don't give a damn, to make their millions taking a big risk with our land.

there must be a balance, and saying nothing and doing nothing doesn't allow that balance, it allows
us to be taken advantage of, let alone the deaths And suffering of birds,animals and fish.

So what margin of risk should we be willing to accept?

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
So what margin of risk should we be willing to accept?

strange question, how can i figure that out, i said a balance, guess that is some sort of margin.

what margin do you think, just wring our hands and hope?, or be responsible and step up.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
strange question, how can i figure that out, i said a balance, guess that is some sort of margin.

what margin do you think, just wring our hands and hope?, or be responsible and step up.

Strange or not, I think it's a question that has to be answered. For starters I would say every reasonable precaution has to be identified and taken. I think all hazards (within reason) have to be identified and have a protocol in place to deal with them as they arise. But we have to accept also there is very little that can be done if a 9.3 earthquake happens right under the boat.