Calgary toddler mauled in dog attack; owner flees

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Calgary toddler mauled in dog attack; owner flees

A two-year-old Calgary boy is recovering from facial injuries he sustained when a small dog bit him in the face outside an elementary school.
The incident happened Friday, outside an elementary school in Calgary where Jaxon was waiting with his parents.
Jaxon’s parents say a woman was walking her leashed Shih Tzu when it suddenly lunged at the boy, biting him in the face and leaving him with cuts on his cheek, inside his mouth, and around his eyes.

“The lady walked by with her dog, and the dog attacked Jaxon,” Erin Schaffer told CTV Calgary of the dog attack on her son. “All we heard was him scream.”
Schaffer said Jaxon was unable to open his eye after the attack, prompting concerns he might have been partially blinded.
“The dog didn’t puncture the top of his eyelid, so we’re very lucky he has his eyesight,” Schaffer said, explaining that she rushed her son to hospital while her husband stayed behind to get the dog owner’s contact information.
The address the dog owner provided turned out to be false, Schaffer added.
“Being a responsible dog owner, she should have stayed to make sure that our son was OK and gave us proper information.”
Animal services say they have tracked down the dog in question and have placed it in 10-day quarantine, which is mandatory after any biting incident. Veterinarians will check the dog for diseases while they have it in isolation.
The Calgary Humane Society says most dog bite cases involve larger dogs, but size doesn’t always dictate aggression.
Schaffer said she’s not sure what she wants to happen to the dog, and she’s just glad her boy didn’t suffer more lasting injuries from the incident.

Calgary toddler mauled in dog attack; owner flees | CTV News

What a complete coward this woman is! If she can't take responsibility for her dog, then she's not responsible enough to have one.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
That is horrendous that she gave incorrect information. What is happening in the house to that dog that would cause it to attack a child. I doubt this is the first indication of aggression in that animal.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I'll reserve judgement, until other witnesses are heard from....dogs can be aggressive, so can kids who don't know how to approach a dog, and parents who don't teach them.
I stopped counting the number of times in the last few months I stepped off the sidewalk sometime onto the street, when a child with his mother made moves towards our dog.....
One lady down the street from us was even insulted when I wouldn't let her toddler come into my unfenced yard to come and play with the cute puppy, while I was impatiently waiting for them to be one their way so the dog would do his thing and I could get back in the house....
So I made up a story that she hadn't had her rabies shots yet....just so they would move on....

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I'll reserve judgement, until other witnesses are heard from....dogs can be aggressive, so can kids who don't know how to approach a dog, and parents who don't teach them.
I stopped counting the number of times in the last few months I stepped off the sidewalk sometime onto the street, when a child with his mother made moves towards our dog.....
One lady down the street from us was even insulted when I wouldn't let her toddler come into my unfenced yard to come and play with the cute puppy, while I was impatiently waiting for them to be one their way so the dog would do his thing and I could get back in the house....
So I made up a story that she hadn't had her rabies shots yet....just so they would move on....

good points!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Sometimes I get the idea that some dog owners should get their rabies shot.-:)

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
That is horrendous that she gave incorrect information. What is happening in the house to that dog that would cause it to attack a child. I doubt this is the first indication of aggression in that animal.

The biggest problem with these little dogs is the way owner treat them, like their not dogs. They don't grasp the concept that a little dog that's allowed to do whatever it wants thinks it's the pack leader and will act accordingly. This is when they become a danger to children, especially small children. I'd bet good money that this dog is treated like a pampered prince or princess in the home. And all normal dog aggressive behaviour is ignored. It's the owner, not the dog.

Welcome back by the way.

You're right, a small child can make a move that a dog may see as aggression and act accordingly. It's up to the parents to prevent their children from approaching strange dogs....and a responsible pet owner says no firmly if they don't want to take the risk.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
We have collars for the dogs that say "DO NOT PET". Only because they're always in training, when they aren't in the yard. They aren't small collars either. They're two inches wide and have big bold yellow lettering.

And you wouldn't believe the amount of people who still don't get it.

What is happening in the house to that dog that would cause it to attack a child.
WTF! A dog bites a kid and suddenly there's a problem in the owners house? ffs.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
We have collars for the dogs that say "DO NOT PET". Only because they're always in training, when they aren't in the yard. They aren't small collars either. They're two inches wide and have big bold yellow lettering.

And you wouldn't believe the amount of people who still don't get it.

I had a co-worker once who had a Dachshund, so little dog. But she didn't get along with other dogs at all. My co-worker used to say she'd have her dog out for a walk and some big, lumbering, friendly dog would come romping over and their owner would shout out "It's okay, he's friendly" and my co-worker would say "yeah, but mine isn't."

People don't think.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
People don't think.

The problem is people. I have been around dogs ALL my life. I have been around horses, geese, goats, cattle, cats (both barn and feral) and I have never ever been bitten. Scratched lots, and once I banged my knuckle against my dogs tooth. But never bitten.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
The problem is people. I have been around dogs ALL my life. I have been around horses, geese, goats, cattle, cats (both barn and feral) and I have never ever been bitten. Scratched lots, and once I banged my knuckle against my dogs tooth. But never bitten.

True. It's not bad dogs, mostly bad dog owners. People who mean well, but don't take control of their dog because it's cute or it's little. It's one of the primary reasons I would trust a large breed over a small one, because of how the owners have taught it (and allowed it) to behave. I'd wager nine times out of ten I'm right, people with a large breed take the responsibility more seriously.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
No, People don't think.

We have all sorts of issues with the dogs in public.

Part of their training involves tracking through populated places, ei; malls, stores and such. We always have permission, the dogs have their vest with their credentials and big bold "SAR DOG", "IN TRAINING" and "DO NOT PET" flashes on them.

Do you know how often people will just reach out and try and pet them, or ask, or tell us "You can't have dogs in here".

I could fill a thread with some of the idiocy the latter has produced.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
True. It's not bad dogs, mostly bad dog owners. People who mean well, but don't take control of their dog because it's cute or it's little. It's one of the primary reasons I would trust a large breed over a small one, because of how the owners have taught it (and allowed it) to behave. I'd wager nine times out of ten I'm right, people with a large breed take the responsibility more seriously.

I would disagree. I don't think the size of a dog is any indication of the responsibility of the owner. I'd wager that more children are wary of a large breed dog over a small breed dog.

A big dog can push a child away and or leave the situation through strength and size. Small dogs can't and are more likely to be mauled, groped and carried around by neck, ears, collar. Their only defense is to bite sometimes. Specially if their snarl and attempt at escape is ignored. It only need happen once for a dog to learn what works (bitting) and what doesn't(growling and snarling)

The 1 statement I've heard time and again that angers me beyond belief is "kids can do anything to my dog and it won't bite" I wonder why they'd think it's ok for children to abuse their pet? The animal is needing it's human to protect it and the human is sitting there watching this whole thing go down...insane.