I wonder what happened here!

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The police and media have been spewing crap about this guy. From someone who knew him: The media should be getting their facts from people that actually know Peter. First I would like to set the record straight. No, Peter was never a military soldier. Growing up with Peter he was the eldest of seven children. We were partners with a few Science projects, competed in Track and Field. He was great at long distance running, I preferred sprinting.He was an avid trapper and outdoorsman. He was liked by all, had no enemies. He was a top honours student all through school with his grades being in the high 90's. He had scholarships for University, but sadly he was inflicted with a brain aneurism and almost died. He's been struggling through life since, merely surviving.His Mother passed away a year ago. People need to be more accepting and have more empathy for one another. Don't jump to conclusions and assume things. I'm afraid if he gives himself up, the R.C.M.P. will shoot him. He knows this, therefore must continue running. All I can say is,"back off government, don't hunt him like he's an animal". We're praying for you Pete, love your cousin" ~ CBC

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The police and media have been spewing crap about this guy. From someone who knew him: The media should be getting their facts from people that actually know Peter. First I would like to set the record straight. No, Peter was never a military soldier. Growing up with Peter he was the eldest of seven children. We were partners with a few Science projects, competed in Track and Field. He was great at long distance running, I preferred sprinting.He was an avid trapper and outdoorsman. He was liked by all, had no enemies. He was a top honours student all through school with his grades being in the high 90's. He had scholarships for University, but sadly he was inflicted with a brain aneurism and almost died. He's been struggling through life since, merely surviving.His Mother passed away a year ago. People need to be more accepting and have more empathy for one another. Don't jump to conclusions and assume things. I'm afraid if he gives himself up, the R.C.M.P. will shoot him. He knows this, therefore must continue running. All I can say is,"back off government, don't hunt him like he's an animal". We're praying for you Pete, love your cousin" ~ CBC

Yep, generally there is more to most people than is readily obvious! A very tragic ending.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The militarization of the police could be used against any citizen in the country.
I am more worried about the police and their view to policing than anything else.
It is time to ask some serious questions about them but keep in mind we do need
policing. I was afraid that if they found him outside of the community itself they
would kill him and it appears the did

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The militarization of the police could be used against any citizen in the country.
I am more worried about the police and their view to policing than anything else.
It is time to ask some serious questions about them but keep in mind we do need
policing. I was afraid that if they found him outside of the community itself they
would kill him and it appears the did

Yep, but I think there is one main problem. Often the police have to figure out in a split second who is a nice guy and who is a bad guy. However I'm guessing in this case they had 5 days to figure out a strategy that would work.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The problem with turning a police force into a para military one is they refuse to admit
wrong doing or guilt of even provide accurate information as to what really happened
The truth hides in some dark corner and crops up years down the road.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
The problem with turning a police force into a para military one is they refuse to admit wrong doing or guilt of even provide accurate information as to what really happened. The truth hides in some dark corner and crops up years down the road.

OK I get there are abuses by police, of their position, from time to time but where do you get off claiming they are now essentially "para-military" thugs? From the inception of the RCMP, as the NWMP, they have been armed men that were supposed to uphold the law. They deal with millions of people everyday: each officer interacts with at least dozens of people and respond to usually half a dozen incidents per day. And they are the ones we call on to deal with the worst our society has to offer: the crime scenes, the accident scenes, dealing with our criminals and in locations where tensions are high and they may be in harm's way.

Now we have this case, where a man fires at police and its their fault he ends up dead? I'm sorry but if he was willing to do that over a livestock dispute, then he does pose a risk to society at large.

And we don't know details of his death.

Was it suicide? Was it an officer shooting in self defense? We don't know but people are willing to automatically criticize the police handling of the case based solely on the fact the guy kills himself. If the statement about an aneurysm by his "cousin" is true, maybe he was mentally ill to the point where he DID take his own life.

We may never know, but keep on hating the cop you see in Tim Horton's, the little lunch joint down the road or driving along the highway because he is there to oppress you...

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
OK I get there are abuses by police, of their position, from time to time but where do you get off claiming they are now essentially "para-military" thugs? From the inception of the RCMP, as the NWMP, they have been armed men that were supposed to uphold the law. They deal with millions of people everyday: each officer interacts with at least dozens of people and respond to usually half a dozen incidents per day. And they are the ones we call on to deal with the worst our society has to offer: the crime scenes, the accident scenes, dealing with our criminals and in locations where tensions are high and they may be in harm's way.

Now we have this case, where a man fires at police and its their fault he ends up dead? I'm sorry but if he was willing to do that over a livestock dispute, then he does pose a risk to society at large.

And we don't know details of his death.

Was it suicide? Was it an officer shooting in self defense? We don't know but people are willing to automatically criticize the police handling of the case based solely on the fact the guy kills himself. If the statement about an aneurysm by his "cousin" is true, maybe he was mentally ill to the point where he DID take his own life.

We may never know, but keep on hating the cop you see in Tim Horton's, the little lunch joint down the road or driving along the highway because he is there to oppress you...

I think you are right on pretty well all counts, Wulfie. I'm just wondering why the cops aren't being forthwith! -:)

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
"I'm afraid if he gives himself up, the R.C.M.P. will shoot him." Yes Cliffy, they do this all the time, they somehow missed you, dammit eh?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The problem with turning a police force into a para military one is they refuse to admit
wrong doing or guilt of even provide accurate information as to what really happened
The truth hides in some dark corner and crops up years down the road.

OK I get there are abuses by police, of their position, from time to time but where do you get off claiming they are now essentially "para-military" thugs? From the inception of the RCMP, as the NWMP, they have been armed men that were supposed to uphold the law
RCMP is and always has been a militia.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I'm not sure if there is anything wrong with that! -:)

Not at all. It's why RCMP did tours of Afghanistan as well. They are trained for it.

Current Operations

Mission duration: Most deployments are 12 months in duration.

Haiti: MINUSTAH
West Bank: EUPOL COPPS
United States: Canada's Permanent Mission to the United Nations in New York
Italy: United Nations Standing Police Capacity, Brindisi

Final medal parade for Canadian police in Afghanistan - Royal Canadian Mounted Police

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
A five-day manhunt in British Columbia's Kootenays region has ended in the death of suspected gunman Peter Degroot following an "interaction" with police in a cabin.

interaction...he was alive at the time police got there. If he'd shot himself, they'd have mentioned that. They usually do.

It's a pretty sad thing that's happened. I wonder why they're only saying alleged to have shot at police. Are they still trying to figure out who fired first?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
interaction...he was alive at the time police got there. If he'd shot himself, they'd have mentioned that. They usually do.

It's a pretty sad thing that's happened. I wonder why they're only saying alleged to have shot at police. Are they still trying to figure out who fired first?

Yeah, there's something not quite right Twila. I think the use of the word "alleged" is just standard practice to avoid any unforeseen repercussions later. When Frank Smart used the word "interaction" I had a bad feeling right then.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Not sure if its true, but someone living in Slocan said he was shot in the back. Hard to commit suicide that way.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I know Peter, his family lives 20 minutes away from me. He had a stroke and hasn't been right since. When I heard someone say he was ex Army, I almost peed.

If you knew him, you'd know why.