B.C. girl banned from wearing headscarves

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Odd that a scarf can be worn for religious reasons, but not for practical reasons...

Think we may have gone a wee bit too far on the PC scale.

Your thoughts?
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
KAMLOOPS, B.C. - They're pretty and they serve a practical purpose — keeping her bangs out of her eyes.

But officials at Jamie Mitchell's school have told her that if she keeps coming to her Grade 3 class wearing a scarf, "she will no longer be welcome," her mother, Erin, said.

The eight-year-old said she’s worn hairbands in the past to deal with her long hair, but finds the scarves work better.

"I kinda like to wear them," she said.

Alain Blais, principal at Lloyd George elementary, where Jamie has attended since kindergarten has told the family the scarves violate the school’s dress code.

Blais acknowledged he had told Erin Mitchell that her daughter would be allowed to wear a scarf for religious reasons, referring her to the district's policy that says schools, when developing codes or policies, must address "the wearing of hats, hoodies or other headwear, other than for religious reasons."

The principal, new to the school after moving from Alberta, said his position comes from his belief that rules are rules, and it is respectful to remove hats or headwear when entering a building and that the policy avoids a double standard.

"I don’t like that we have to go 50 km/h in town, but that’s the rule," Blais said in an interview. "At some point, there’s no point arguing. I don’t understand the purpose of not following the rules."

Blais said the restriction is needed to deal with students who wear tuques or hoodies, zipped up "so they hide their faces and the teacher can’t see if the students are learning.

"I feel one of the things we are doing is preparing students to be in a workforce and you don’t wear headgear in the workforce," he said, noting the policy is also designed to address the wearing of gang colours.

Mitchell said her daughter wore scarves while in pre-school in Vancouver so her Muslim friend, who also wore a scarf, wouldn’t feel out of place. She sees it as her daughter’s right to express herself.

Blais, however, said he emailed principals at elementary schools in the city and, of those who replied, all agreed with his interpretation of the dress code.

Kamloops-Thompson School District assistant supt. John Churchley said all schools are required to have a dress code and must include provisions that respect the Charter of Rights and Freedoms as it relates to religious headgear.

Blais said all school policies will be reviewed in the coming year with input from the parent-advisory council — and he has told Mitchell she is welcome to join the committee.

"It will be whatever the staff and parents want," Blais said. "It’s their school. As an administrator, we never win. And, once a final decision is made, we have to all get onboard."

As for Jaime, she said the issue seems strange to her because the scarf doesn’t get in the way of her learning.

She said she doesn’t fidget with it — it just keeps her bangs off her face.

"I like wearing it," she said.

"And I'm getting 10 more of them."

Read more: B.C. girl banned from wearing headscarves

B.C. girl banned from wearing headscarves

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Not odd at all. Religious freedom is protected by the Charter. Fashion is not.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Masking the hair should be allowed (unless the wind can be banned from certain locations), masking the face might be different. What about the boys and their full face toques, many colors and a pom-pom doesn't alter that it is a mask (against the cold) and a robbers tool in 7/11.
How many nice looking women (joggers)wear a sweater tied around their waist just so men (more than construction workers) can't get the best look possible of their backside? (now I would have to slide my glasses forward or backwards to focus and there goes the stealth and then you get the 'pervert' look which you deserve by then as you went to some effort to get a better look)

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Not odd at all. Religious freedom is protected by the Charter. Fashion is not.

If she'd worn a kerchief in her hair or a fabric headband they'd have said nothing though. It's elementary school, she's unlikely to hide a gun in it.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
If she'd worn a kerchief in her hair or a fabric headband they'd have said nothing though. It's elementary school, she's unlikely to hide a gun in it.

Then have the dress code changed.
It could have easily been added by the school. Rules are rules, & common sense rarely rules.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Then have the dress code changed.
It could have easily been added by the school. Rules are rules, & common sense rarely rules.

yeah, probably a pretty small thing in the over all scheme of things.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
yeah, probably a pretty small thing in the over all scheme of things.

I was not running at ya on this. My point is where the principal confirms this is the rule and is common. Well what is so wrong with a scarf.
Some idiots are teaching and running schools.
And his quote "Rules are rules" BS.
How hard would it be to amend the dress code.
A call to the parents, we are reviewing the code regarding scarves.Could your daughter refrain from a scarf for the next few weeks while we sort this out.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I was not running at ya on this. My point is where the principal confirms this is the rule and is common. Well what is so wrong with a scarf.
Some idiots are teaching and running schools.
And his quote "Rules are rules" BS.
How hard would it be to amend the dress code.
A call to the parents, we are reviewing the code regarding scarves.Could your daughter refrain from a scarf for the next few weeks while we sort this out.

Goober, I know you weren't. No worries.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Never really understood that rule. I dont see it as a big deal. Doesnt harm anyone or pose a risk to anyone. Let the kid wear it.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Never really understood that rule. I dont see it as a big deal. Doesnt harm anyone or pose a risk to anyone. Let the kid wear it.

that's just it. If it WERE to pose a risk (for whatever reason) then that would/should trump allowing it for religious reasons.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
Apparently the rule i sin place to stop students from wearing gang colours. Not too sure how many 8 yr old girls are sporting gang colours. Chalk one up to mindless enforcement of arbitrary rules.

As for freedom of religion, they really should change it to freedom to wear funny hats, because virtually every case I see on the subject invovles some kind of head gear.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
How very strange that you can do just about anything you want if you can convince the authority figure that it is for religious reasons but someone not of that religion can not do the very same thing.
What ever happened to everyone in a democracy being equal?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Here is the dreaded head scarf.

The kid is obviously some kind of subversive. Should likely be locked up.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
she should say she has cancer. that'd shut 'em up sure as sh!t.

they'd be trippin' all over each other sayin' how sorry they are...

and excuse her scarf.

"oh no no no, the rules weren't made for you, precious angel. it's okay to wear your scarf"

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
she should say she has cancer. that'd shut 'em up sure as sh!t.

they'd be trippin' all over each other sayin' how sorry they are...

and excuse her scarf.

"oh no no no, the rules weren't made for you, precious angel. it's okay to wear your scarf"

Yeah but then they'd start up a collection and they'd send her to Disneyland and then her cover'd be blown, and Fox news wouldn't know if they should idolize her or vilify her...it'd get messy

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
So she just wants to wear a scarf....because she wants to wear a scarf? How very Rhoda of her, lol.

It in no way obscures her face, they (the school) is making mountains out of mole hills....again. Sigh.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
What a load of crap. First if its for religion its ok and not for others. I think both should
be allowed to wear them I have nothing against religious or practical reasons. The
problem is the school has become the problem they want to regulate everything. What
people wear is their business admitted to a point. I see no problem with ball caps no
problem with hoodie either. The problem is they are afraid of gangs they are afraid of
snowball fights for god sake. Can you imagine the negative view a young child has on an
institution that would turn on her cause she wore a head scarf? She has to be questioning
their sanity I know I am.
It does lead me to wonder though if ordinary people are going to be put through the wringer
because there is no religious protection, if we're going off the deep end why protect the
religious right and not the common right to apparel? Perhaps we must define freedoms or
lack of them in a new way by taking some things out of the constitution or putting some things
into the constitution. Better still why do we not just ensure the school system uses the
common sense approach and move on. That would be too easy.
The other thing that troubles me is this schools attempt to get parents and the community to
cooperate to stop bullying in schools and then they bully an 8 year old kid over a head scarf.
I think schools staff and teachers should study their own anti bullying manuals.and take their
own sensitivity training course Imaging bullying a little kid over a head scarf boarders on abuse

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
So she just wants to wear a scarf....because she wants to wear a scarf? How very Rhoda of her, lol.

It in no way obscures her face, they (the school) is making mountains out of mole hills....again. Sigh.

RHODA! oh my, I haven't heard that name in soooo long...She's gonna bring Rhoda style back all by herself...actually, wait...no..I don't look good in scarves like that...

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
RHODA! oh my, I haven't heard that name in soooo long...She's gonna bring Rhoda style back all by herself...actually, wait...no..I don't look good in scarves like that...

Rhoda was the last person I saw actually wearing head scarves aside from those trying to hide the curlers in their hair. Remember them too? Lol.