Britain to send troops, ship and helicopters to Sierra Leone to combat Ebola

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Britain is to send 750 troops, three Merlin helicopters and an RFA medical support ship to Sierra Leone to help tackle the deadly Ebola outbreak - and has now called on other countries to also "step up to the plate."

Troops will head to Sierra Leone as early as next week, where British military engineers and medics are already overseeing the building of an Ebola hospital.

Around 750 personnel will help set up treatment centres and an Ebola Training Academy.

The measures were decided during a meeting of the Government's Cobra emergency committee, as the Foreign Secretary said the world had to do more "to prevent what is currently a crisis from becoming a catastrophe."

The deadly virus has killed more than 3,400 people in Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia.

RFA Argus, a medical ship with a fully-equipped 100-bed hospital on board, will be sent to Sierra Leone, along with three Merlin helicopters.

Philip Hammond, the Foreign Secretary, said the disease had now become "an unprecedented threat that knows no borders".

He said: "We have to get ahead of this disease, but if we get ahead of it, if we rise to the challenge, we can contain it and beat it. We know how to do this, it is not complicated to do, it just requires a large focus of resource and effort to deliver it."

Ebola crisis: Hundreds of British troops sent to tackle deadly outbreak

More than 750 British troops, along with three helicopters and a medical support ship will head to Sierra Leone to tackle the to help tackle the deadly Ebola outbreak

The deadly virus has killed more than 3,400 people in Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia during this latest outbreak Photo: AP Photo/Jerome Delay

By Ben Farmer, Defence Correspondent
08 Oct 2014
The Telegraph

Britain will send hundreds of troops, a ship and three helicopters to tackle the deadly Ebola outbreak spreading through West Africa.

Troops will head to Sierra Leone as early as next week, where British military engineers and medics are already overseeing the building of an Ebola hospital.

Around 750 personnel will help set up treatment centres and an Ebola Training Academy.

The measures were decided during a meeting of the Government's Cobra emergency committee, as the Foreign Secretary said the world had to do more "to prevent what is currently a crisis from becoming a catastrophe."

The deadly virus has killed more than 3,400 people in Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia.

RFA Argus, a medical ship with a fully-equipped 100-bed hospital on board, will be sent to Sierra Leone, along with three Merlin helicopters.

The Royal Navy medical ship, RFA Argus, has a 100-bed hospital on board

Philip Hammond, the Foreign Secretary, said the disease had now become "an unprecedented threat that knows no borders".

He said: "We have to get ahead of this disease, but if we get ahead of it, if we rise to the challenge, we can contain it and beat it. We know how to do this, it is not complicated to do, it just requires a large focus of resource and effort to deliver it."

He added: "We now need the wider international community to step up to the plate and deliver that additional resource, not just money, but trained medical and clinical personnel to lead that effort on the ground. We all have to do more if we are going to prevent what is currently a crisis from becoming a catastrophe."

Michael Fallon, the Defence Secretary, said: “The Ebola outbreak in West Africa is already a global threat to public health and it’s vital that the UK remains at the forefront of responding to the epidemic.

“Following today’s meeting we are stepping up significantly the UK’s contribution and leadership in work to tackle the outbreak, on land, in the air and at sea. At the heart of the package is the commitment to provide more than 750 personnel to help with the establishment of Ebola Treatment Centres and an Ebola Training Academy. We are deploying troops, helicopters and a ship – Army medics and Merlin helicopters, supported by the RFA Argus to provide direct support and reassurance.”

The troops will include soldiers of the Royal Scots Borderers (1 SCOTS) based in Holywood, Co Down.

Lt Col Matt Munro, commanding officer, said: "This is a challenge unlike any, but the point is that we are very well prepared. This kind of operation represents, I think, the future for parts of the British Army.

He said: “There are some peculiar threats to this operation clearly relating to the Ebola virus and of course there is a risk of soldiers from this battalion contracting the virus but it is a very low risk because there are all sorts of very practical and sensible measures that my people can employ to ensure that the risk is kept to an absolute minimum.

"And it is worth saying also that, for the most part, my soldiers have been queuing up to deploy. There are a lot of young men in the battalion very keen to go on operations. They joined the army to be challenged and to do different things and evidence of that is that very many of them want to go."

Ebola crisis: Hundreds of British troops sent to tackle deadly outbreak - Telegraph

Last edited:

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Maybe they'll just bomb the EBOLA! away?

I heard some American Military high up the other day saying 4-5,000 soldiers are going to some EBOLA! hot spot but only a small percentage of them will be involved in dealing with the EBOLA! outbreak.

That made me wonder what the rest are going for as that was not alluded to.

The same with the British.

What's with all the military stuff.........?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
What's with all the military stuff.........?

It's a ship with a fully functioning hospital onboard. What would you rather we send in to fight a deadly disease? Ken Dodd?

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
...and when Ebola mutates to an air born virus and comes to the shores of North America.. call it Mother Nature doing a reset.

I just came back from Dallas - Ft Worth to Calgary.. I have flu, nose bleeds, vomiting.. maybe I have Ebola..

""HELLO ALBERTA!!!""

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
How do you fight Ebola with a military force..???

Containment and murder of infected people.. then burn the bodies??

You fight Ebola with resources, like human and infrastructure/equipment, which the military has lots of. Not murder, containment yes, and burning the bodies would be the best thing to do.

Honestly, that's a far better response than screening passengers in airports, which might look like something, but is barely better than nothing.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The world has to get out in front of this thing it could become more deadly than Spanish Flu
Most have probably forgotten about that nasty thing. It spread around the world in 1918 and
yes it reached North America as well For a time people were afraid it was a Mother Nature
reset and in a sense it was. Coming to grips with it now rather than in a few months from
now will make a huge difference. The Brits were not late again by the way they are just more
thoughtful in their approach every detail has to be examined in hopes the problem may tire
of itself and go away. It was the same for the Federal Liberals under Lester B Pierson
The joking slogan was, "kick it around and we'll always get by"

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
...and when Ebola mutates to an air born virus and comes to the shores of North America.. call it Mother Nature doing a reset.

I just came back from Dallas - Ft Worth to Calgary.. I have flu, nose bleeds, vomiting.. maybe I have Ebola..

""HELLO ALBERTA!!!""

It was first discovered in the 1970s, and in all that time it has yet to mutate to an airborne virus.

Brits late again...

The disease was discovered in 1976, so it has taken the Yanks almost 40 years to finally do something about it.

And 4,000 troops does seem like typical American overkill. But that comes as no surprise. America is the country which sent about ten warships and hundreds of Navy Seals just to rescue an American container ship captain from four lightly armed kids in a dinghy.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
That's funny, you limey's weren't whining about American overkill when they pulled your bangers out of the German grinder.

That's because they didn't "pull our bangers out of the German grinder".

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
That's because they didn't "pull our bangers out of the German grinder".
Oh stop being silly, you poor green citrus's were months away from having your cuisine introduced to sauerbraten and pumpernickle.

It's OK, I can understand why you\d want to see it differently.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Oh stop being silly, you poor green citrus's were months away from having your cuisine introduced to sauerbraten and pumpernickle.

Don't be a Silly Billy. A German invasion of Britain was averted when Britain won the Battle of Britain when it was the ONLY country taking on Nazi Germany, when the Yanks were sitting on the sidelines twiddling their thumbs and doing cushy business deals with Germany

It was the British who prevented a German invasion of Britain.

As for sending 4,000 troops to combat Ebola, it's just typical American overkill, in the vain of Captain Phillips and many other examples. Send 750 maybe, but not 4,000.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Don't be a Silly Billy. A German invasion of Britain was averted when Britain won the Battle of Britain when it was the ONLY country taking on Nazi Germany, when the Yanks were sitting on the sidelines twiddling their thumbs and doing cushy business deals with Germany

It was the British who prevented a German invasion of Britain.
We'll have to chalk that embarrassing missive up to the poor state of the UK education system.

As for sending 4,000 troops to combat Ebola, it's just typical American overkill, in the vain of Captain Phillips and many other examples. Send 750 maybe, but not 4,000.
Says the product of a country that lost a massive portion of its empire to a dude in a cotton diaper, lolz.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
We'll have to chalk that embarrassing missive up to the poor state of the UK education system.

Do what you like. Because it's true.

The Battle of Britain, the last battle to be fought in Britain, took place from 10th July to 31st October 1940. The RAF suffered 544 fatalities and had 1,547 aircraft destroyed. The Luftwaffe suffered 2,698 fatalities, 967 captured and 1,887 aircraft destroyed. 40,000 British civilians were killed in the battle. Britain fought - and won - the battle when it was the ONLY power in the world to be taking the fight to Nazi Germany, and our victory staved off any possibility of a German invasion.

It's there in the history books. My granny remembers it.

Says the product of a country that lost a massive portion of its empire to a dude in a cotton diaper, lolz.

At least we had an empire, which I'm proud to say.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Do what you like. Because it's true.
I'm glad you can admit your education system is in terrible shape.

On behalf of Canada and the US, you're welcome. We didn't mind overkilling the Germans and saving your bangers and mash.

At least we had an empire, which I'm proud to say.
And you lost to an unarmed man, in a cotton diaper. Not much of an empire.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I'm glad you can admit your education system is in terrible shape.

On behalf of Canada and the US, you're welcome. We didn't mind overkilling the Germans and saving your bangers and mash.

I put all the credit of the thwarting of a Nazi invasion of Britain down to our brave lads in the RAF, what Churchill called "The Few".

The Few saved Britain from invasion whilst the Yanks merely watched from the sidelines.

And you lost to an unarmed man, in a cotton diaper. Not much of an empire.

I've got no idea what you're talking about. However, the British Empire was the biggest, richest, most powerful and most benevolent empire in the entire 250,000 year history of modern humanity.

By the way, observers watching an argument between me and you would probably compare it to watching a football match between Manchester City and Bishop's Stortford.