RCMP Cpl. Ron Francis, who smoked marijuana on job, found dead

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

A New Brunswick Mountie who made national headlines for smoking medical marijuana while in uniform last year has been found dead.

The death of RCMP Cpl. Ron Francis was confirmed to CBC News by Pat Polchies, a councillor with the Kingsclear First Nation.

Francis's lawyer T.J. Burke said Francis died around 4 o'clock Monday afternoon. There is no word on the cause of death.

Chief Gabriel Atwin of Kingsclear First Nation was emotional as he spoke Monday evening.

"It's a tragic, tragic event," he said. "Tragic loss to our community. Ron was not only a good friend of mine, and a great community member, but also a family member of mine. It's a tragic event."

Francis was a 21-year RCMP veteran who was serving with the force's J Division in Fredericton, and had been facing six criminal charges.

He was set to stand trial in September on the six charges, including two counts of assaulting fellow officers and one count of breaching an undertaking to not possess or consume alcohol and non-prescription drugs.

He pleaded guilty to three of the counts just before his three-day trial was to begin. The other charges were dropped. His sentencing was scheduled for Nov. 3.

Francis was still on medical leave from the RCMP. At his court appearance in September, he said he was focused on healing, and hoped his treatment would include guidance from a native elder.

He was prescribed medical marijuana last November, and said at the time it helped him calm down and reduced his symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder, or PTSD. He was pictured smoking the drug shortly thereafter in his red serge uniform, prompting a crackdown by the RCMP.

A Facebook group titled Families of the RCMP for PTSD Awareness posted a tribute to Francis.

"Our hearts go out to Ron, who struggled for so long, his family who journeyed with him, and all those who knew, worked with and loved him, all of whom are struggling to deal with the aftermath of suicide," it reads.

"Please know that we at Families of the RCMP for PTSD Awareness are devastated and we are working tirelessly to do all we can to stop these tragedies from occurring."

RCMP Cpl. Ron Francis, who smoked marijuana on job, found dead - New Brunswick - CBC News

grumpydigger

Electoral Member
Mar 4, 2009
Kelowna BC
You would think that the rCMP would have a way to screen and help people like this.
Instead they push them until they crack completely in order to protect some fantasy ideal of their great organization.

The smoking of marijuana in the dress uniform was a very effective way of drawing attention to the rCMP's incompetence in these matters.

But instead of trying to help him, the rCMP's goal was to shut him up at any cost and push him till they could arrest him because his condition continued to worsen.

When your organization is built on a fantasy it's pretty hard to live up to those standards when you're only human...LOL

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
At one time the RCMP was a respected organization and highly regarded by most Canadians.

It has steadily gone downhill since it has tried to become politically correct.

Maybe it should be disbanded and replaced with a different kind of police organization.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The problem is the RCMP has too much at stake to disband. What it has to do is take its
own words seriously and clean up the bad apples withing its ranks. The police force is a
respected organization its some of the people in the ranks starting at the very top of the
force. It doesn't need new leadership, it needs Leadership Period.
Respect is not given or mysteriously granted its earned everyday by all of us. That goes
for parents, teachers, Doctors and the police, politicians we'll deal with another time.
The police are not all the problem, they are the first visual signs or symptoms of a much
bigger problem.
The police are not confronted with politically correct alone they are becoming a militarized
force rather than a civil force cops have to reengage the community which it is supposed
to serve and stop being the perception of we know everything and what is best for you.
If they continue down this road they will fail as a respected force and when the public turns
on them it won't be pretty the Canadian outcry will see them fold and policing go the a more
local level which should be happening anyway
It is sad when some people would rather face a Hells Angel at night on the street than walk
facing two Mounties

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I wonder if it was self inflicted.. given the association of habitual marijuana use with paranoia, severe depression, social isolation and psychotic symptoms.. including schizophrenia.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I wonder if it was self inflicted.. given the association of habitual marijuana use with paranoia, severe depression, social isolation and psychotic symptoms.. including schizophrenia.

That would be my guess- very sad story that, the poor guy obviously needed help for a very long time. Every time something like this happens everyone vows it must never be allowed to happen again, yet it does over and over. What are we learning?

The problem is the RCMP has too much at stake to disband. What it has to do is take its
own words seriously and clean up the bad apples withing its ranks. The police force is a
respected organization its some of the people in the ranks starting at the very top of the
force. It doesn't need new leadership, it needs Leadership Period.
Respect is not given or mysteriously granted its earned everyday by all of us. That goes
for parents, teachers, Doctors and the police, politicians we'll deal with another time.
The police are not all the problem, they are the first visual signs or symptoms of a much
bigger problem.
The police are not confronted with politically correct alone they are becoming a militarized
force rather than a civil force cops have to reengage the community which it is supposed
to serve and stop being the perception of we know everything and what is best for you.
If they continue down this road they will fail as a respected force and when the public turns
on them it won't be pretty the Canadian outcry will see them fold and policing go the a more
local level which should be happening anyway
It is sad when some people would rather face a Hells Angel at night on the street than walk
facing two Mounties

I think one of the problems these day is the bad actors and thugs and dope pushers and freaks have far too many rights. Like for instance spitting in the cop's face and there's not a whole lot he/she can do about it, when what they probably should do is break the guy's head. Then of course there's the other extreme where an old lady gets pushed to the ground for giving a bad cop a dirty look. Most of the "rights" are on the side of the criminal, but then occasionally things go overboard, like the airport incident at Y.V.R. 7 years ago. Over the years I've encountered several a$$holes among the cops but I've also encountered a few good guys too.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
What are we learning?

That we are expecting our fellow man to be super human and above reproach working in a potentially dangerous environment with the lowest scum of the earth and that they are fully disposable.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Hmmm.

A known cause of suicide, PTSD, is ignored, and chooses to laying probable blame on pot, with accusations that have no solid basis in fact.

Interesting.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Hmmm.

A known cause of suicide, PTSD, is ignored, and chooses to laying probable blame on pot, with accusations that have no solid basis in fact.

Interesting.

Actually i didn't really do that. But i did note that pot will only make whatever psychological problem you have worse.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I was thinking suicide.

I read a few articles saying thats what it was. A sad end but I cant say Im surprised.

That would be my guess- very sad story that, the poor guy obviously needed help for a very long time. Every time something like this happens everyone vows it must never be allowed to happen again, yet it does over and over. What are we learning?

How to say nice things and do nothing.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Actually i didn't really do that.
Actually you did.

But i did note that pot will only make whatever psychological problem you have worse.
There you did it again.

PTSD has been treated with Mary J. Google is your friend.
https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl#q=marijuana+for++ptsd+treament

MDMA (AKA street name Ecstasy)is also being studied as an effective treatment. Right in BC as a matter of fact.

Ecstasy to be used in Canadian study into post-traumatic stress disorder | National Post
Oh BS Goobs, didn't you watch Refer Madness!