London parents give up custody of children for free Wi-Fi

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

QMI AGENCY

Sep 30, 2014 , Last Updated: 10:57 PM ET

Six parents in London, England, unknowingly gave up their first-born child "for the duration of eternity" in an experiment aimed at highlighting how little we pay attention to terms and conditions online.
The experiment, sponsored by security firm F-Secure, used a hotspot in the city's Canary Wharf, The Guardian reports. In order to access the Internet, the users had to agree to the firm's terms and conditions.
A "Herod clause," promising free Wi-Fi but only if "the recipient agreed to assign their first born child to us for the duration of eternity," was included in those terms.
F-Secure said the experiment proved people don't read the small print when it comes to signing up for Wi-Fi, and that can be dangerous.

Been trying to figure out the best way to mock Blackleaf with this. I couldn't decide so I put to the membership instead.

:D

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Are you sure they didn't do it willingly? If they were teenagers, it might have been a fair trade.

Smart parents might just drop off their kid when they get to be too much of a handful. Somehow I hear the words "thought you could fool me did you?" echoing in the night.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007

QMI AGENCY

Sep 30, 2014 , Last Updated: 10:57 PM ET

Six parents in London, England, unknowingly gave up their first-born child "for the duration of eternity" in an experiment aimed at highlighting how little we pay attention to terms and conditions online.
The experiment, sponsored by security firm F-Secure, used a hotspot in the city's Canary Wharf, The Guardian reports. In order to access the Internet, the users had to agree to the firm's terms and conditions.
A "Herod clause," promising free Wi-Fi but only if "the recipient agreed to assign their first born child to us for the duration of eternity," was included in those terms.
F-Secure said the experiment proved people don't read the small print when it comes to signing up for Wi-Fi, and that can be dangerous.

Been trying to figure out the best way to mock Blackleaf with this. I couldn't decide so I put to the membership instead.

:D

If it said that we could give Blackleaf to them, I would gladly sign that contract!;)