Hong Kong - Demonstrations

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Could get messy to say the least.
Hong Kong leader asks government to hold talks with pro-democracy protesters calling for him to resign | National Post

HONG KONG — Protestors repeated their warning: Resign by Thursday midnight, or they would storm the barricades and seize this city’s seat of power, the office of Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying.

Unreasonable? Of course. No one expected capitulation from a man as powerful as Mr. Leung. He has an entire city apparatus behind him and more than that, he is backed by China’s central government in Beijing.

But just minutes before midnight, Mr. Leung did offer something. Not a concession, but at least a discussion.

“I will not resign,” he told reporters at his official residence, Government House.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Don't worry! Mr Wynne is on his way to save the Chinese people with sternly worded commentary!!!

lolz

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
It'll be Tiananmen Square all over again.
I was actually discussing this with a Chinese immigrant today.

He's actually optimistic. He thinks they're barking but will actually sit down and talk. It may be lip service, but they aren't looking for another Tiananmen Square. Especially not in Hong Kong where they can't control the press as easily.

And in the end, it'll be all for nothing.
Are we still talking about the protests or Mr. Wynne's Chinese vacation?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I was actually discussing this with a Chinese immigrant today.

He's actually optimistic. He thinks they're barking but will actually sit down and talk. It may be lip service, but they aren't looking for another Tiananmen Square. Especially not in Hong Kong where they can't control the press as easily.

I hope that's true but the Chinese government is not known for it's negotiating skills. They do compliance and they do silence. But they'd be foolish to engage in protracted hostilities in Hong Kong.

Are we still talking about the protests or Mr. Wynne's Chinese vacation?
Lol, actually I meant the protestors.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Dramatic clip captures the ugly side of Hong Kong protests

It’s not an easy thing to watch.
A GIF of a police officer pepper-spraying a non-violent man during the Hong Kong protests is going viral.
The clip comes from a live-stream video of the protests. In it, a police officer reaches over a barricade and grabs an elderly protestor by the shoulder, turning him around so he can pepper-spray him at point-blank range.
A 10-second video clip of the incident also went viral on Facebook.
"I was watching the live stream and witnessed the whole incident," wrote Reddit user Black Tomatoes. “Protestors were aggressively trying to break through the barricade several times; this uncle however was pleading the protestors to remain clam and insisted on a peaceful protest. I’ve seen him stopping the mob from charging towards the police force. Guess what? In return for his effort, one of the police officers gave him a cheap shot and sprayed directly into his eyes. What a jerk!”
"That also explains why he yelled ‘I’m here to help’ at the end of the video," he added.
A full version of the incident has also been circulating online:

Protesters have been demonstrating against China’s broken promise to grant Hong Kong full democracy by 2017. While the Chinese government did announce that it would allow Hong Kong to hold its first democratic elections that year, as promised, the announcement came with a huge string attached: A pro-Beijing committee would select the candidates, essentially rigging the first “democratic” election.
The violent police response to protesters is only further angering Hong Kong residents and adding to the “worst unrest there since China took back control of the former British colony two decades ago,” Reuters reported.

“The video is shocking for its apparently arbitrary violence against a harmless-looking elderly protester, but made all the more so for the fact that this is Hong Kong, a place that prides itself on its orderliness and peaceful marches. This is just not something that happens in Hong Kong, except that it’s happening. These sorts of scenes are enraging Hong Kong residents, who on Sunday began joining the student-dominated protests occupying the city’s Central district,” wrote Max Fisher for Vox.
"I hope people will understand why the action keeps on escalating," said Chan Kin-man, one of the protest leaders, in an interview on the street. “It’s because the government is getting more and more closed without listening to Hong Kong people. If the government can give us a proper response in due course I think we can end the occupation immediately.”

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dail...res-the-ugly-side-of-hong-kong-165304939.html

That's nasty, right up in his face like that.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
It'll be Tiananmen Square all over again. And in the end, it'll be all for nothing.

I doubt it. Hong Kong has always been different from the rest of China. They were allowed a lot more freedom and have a large expat population. Another Tinanmen square massacre would not be so easy for the Chinese to get away with this time. A lot harder to cover it up in a place like Hong Kong. If anything I think it might embolden the rest of Hong Kong.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I doubt it. Hong Kong has always been different from the rest of China. They were allowed a lot more freedom and have a large expat population. Another Tinanmen square massacre would not be so easy for the Chinese to get away with this time. A lot harder to cover it up in a place like Hong Kong. If anything I think it might embolden the rest of Hong Kong.

I hope it emboldens the rest of China to get out from under an oppressive regime. But I think if the protestors in Hong Kong shove the government, they'll shove back....hard. Hope I'm wrong.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I hope it emboldens the rest of China to get out from under an oppressive regime. But I think if the protestors in Hong Kong shove the government, they'll shove back....hard. Hope I'm wrong.

And only 2 countries left for the present Winter Olympics bid- China being 1.
Norway's citizens told the Govt to stuff it.