AB Premier - making changes?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
AB Premier - making changes? Will we see a house cleaning, where people are fired or suddenly resign to study underwater basket weaving?

Premier Jim Prentice is talking the talk around ending culture of entitlement in

After all, this time Premier Jim Prentice makes his way into the belly of the Toryland beast.

There’s no waving of wands Wednesday. No easy fixes. Government planes gone. New licence plate designs gone. Michener Centre no longer gone.

On Wednesday the talk is about the PC trough, the perks and pleasures of one-party rule.

This is what the premier says he will take on.

The party has been the government since Billy Jack was a box-office hit.

Over the decades the rot sets into the joint, the connections with the governing party are everywhere, favours are doled out, life goes on as if it’s all normal.

Any hint of a political philosophy is stowed in the history books.

The mission is all about keeping the party machine in the driver’s seat. Survival.

Premier Prentice promises new Accountability Act | Globalnews.ca

EDMONTON – Premier Jim Prentice has announced the government has started work on a new Accountability Act to end the “culture of entitlement.”

The premier says the act, which will be introduced in the fall sitting of the Legislature, will create the highest ethical standards.

Alberta Premier Prentice announces review of health delivery in rural areas - The Globe and Mail

Alberta Premier Jim Prentice ordered a sweeping review Tuesday to fix concerns in rural health care, but opposition members accused him of plowing old ground to avoid having to take action.

“Many rural communities face daunting challenges, particularly when it comes to health care,” Prentice said at an announcement in Olds, Alta.

Prentice government begins review of government agencies - Edmonton - CBC News

Following up on Wednesday’s promise to restore Albertans’ faith in their government, Premier Jim Prentice announced his team will begin a review all 52 agencies reporting to the province.

Another 142 other agencies, boards and commissions (ABCs) that operate under the Alberta Public Agencies Governance Act will also be examined.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
This always happens when a government is in trouble. The problem is not so much the
government as its a problem with the people. They all herd like sheep to vote the same
party all the time eliminating competition and when that happens entitlement begins.
Just once they need to vote Liberal or NDP to ensure one right wing party doesn't replace
another right wing party. When there is a real competitive choice a through process
actually begins. The Conservatives and Wildrose are nothing more than a mirror image of
each other except Wildrose is more a movement than a political party and movements
are often short lived

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
This always happens when a government is in trouble. The problem is not so much the
government as its a problem with the people. They all herd like sheep to vote the same
party all the time eliminating competition and when that happens entitlement begins.
Just once they need to vote Liberal or NDP to ensure one right wing party doesn't replace
another right wing party. When there is a real competitive choice a through process
actually begins. The Conservatives and Wildrose are nothing more than a mirror image of
each other except Wildrose is more a movement than a political party and movements
are often short lived

Well we out here know the rot is deep. Until we see blood on the floor, well Prentice will have a harder road to walk.
That said he is head and shoulders above the past few and if Harper had resigned could have run in the leadership.
Myself I like Prentice.
Prentice eager to take over top job in Alberta

EDMONTON – Jim Prentice says voting for same-sex marriage was one of the most trying moments of his political career — especially after people set fire to his house.

“The pressure was incredible,” said Prentice, recalling his days as a Conservative MP in 2005 when he made it known he would support the controversial bill put forward by the Liberal government.

“(But) there’s a duty to balance and protect the rights of everyone.”

That humanist rationale, however, didn’t cut much ice in his riding of Calgary Centre-North.

There were angry letters to the editor. Staff in his riding office quit. People told him his political career was finished.

One angry Calgarian passed him in a pickup truck, pulled over and threatened to clean his clock on the spot.

Someone set fire to his veranda.

In the church where he was married and his three children were baptized, Prentice and his wife, Karen, arrived one Sunday to learn the sermon was a warning about him.

Nine years later, Prentice, 58, is back in the arena, one of three candidates vying to become the next premier of Alberta as leader of the provincial Progressive Conservatives.

Five decades earlier, his only goal was to play hockey.

Prentice was born on July 20, 1956, in South Porcupine in northern Ontario.

His dad, Eric, was a gold miner and former pro hockey player, a 17-year-old whiz kid winger and the youngest person ever signed by the Toronto Maple Leafs.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Imagine people stopping someone on the street and threatening them like that
or setting fire to his house because he stood up for the rights of all Canadians
regardless of their lot in life. I lived in Alberta three times in my life In the north,
and in Camrose and Red Deer, except to visit I would not live there agains
unless I had Alzheimer's in which case I wouldn't know I was there.
A man who takes an unpopular stand for what he believes is right, is a man
worthy of trust.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
are often short lived

Typical tripe from someone who doesn't live in Alberta, have a true appreciation of the issues or possible solutions, and holds the people in disdain.You claim you wouldn't want to live there, maybe its just you don't deserve to live there.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Imagine people stopping someone on the street and threatening them like that
or setting fire to his house because he stood up for the rights of all Canadians
regardless of their lot in life. I lived in Alberta three times in my life In the north,
and in Camrose and Red Deer, except to visit I would not live there agains
unless I had Alzheimer's in which case I wouldn't know I was there.
A man who takes an unpopular stand for what he believes is right, is a man
worthy of trust.
Sometimes. Would you trust a man who took a stand for returning to racial discrimination, or for withdrawing the franchise from women?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Typical tripe from someone who doesn't live in Alberta, have a true appreciation of the issues or possible solutions, and holds the people in disdain.You claim you wouldn't want to live there, maybe its just you don't deserve to live there.

For some reason it's easier to blame on the place than on the individual.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
No one would not stand up for going back to discrimination of racial lines.
Did you notice the people who tried to burn his house or confronted him
and threatened him were people who would in fact deny people their rights
because they were gay, this man said everyone should be treated equally.
As for tripe, no I lived in the North for about three years and it was the most
pleasant of the times I lived in Alberta, but Red Deer and Camrose not so
much. Most of it was the conservative lifestyle. Economic conservatism I
don't mind the social conservative stuff I didn't care for at all. The atmosphere
and lifestyle i didn't care for at all. I like Saskatchewan and BC but Alberta
I wouldn't want to live there again. I have family there but live there no.

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
Mr. Prentice does not plan on hanging around as Alberta's Premier for very long, right now all he is focusing on is making Albertans feel good and more so to ram a few Federal and Provincial Legislations through the House of Commons,I suspect it would have lots to do with oil and gas,Mr. Prentice has work to do,then he will be just a figment of our imaginations,gone as quick as he has arrived.Go Jim Go!