‘F**k it, I quit’ – Alaska TV reporter resigns on air

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
‘F**k it, I quit’ – Alaska TV reporter resigns on air to fight for marijuana legalization

A former television reporter for an Anchorage, Alaska CBS News affiliate is for once making headlines instead of reading them announcing her resignation Sunday evening by saying live on air: “**** it, I quit.”

Charlo Greene’s unexpected sign-off came seconds after she finished playing her audience a report concerning the Alaska Cannabis Club — an organization that aims to establish connections between medical marijuana cardholders and suppliers in the Last Frontier State, where patients have been able to legally possess, use and grow small amounts of weed with a valid doctor’s prescription since the passing of a ballot measure in 1998.

Greene was beginning to debrief KTVA viewers about the report during Sunday’s program when she changed course and instead announced a previously unreported affiliation she has with the Cannabis Club — and then just as quickly quit live in the midst of the broadcast.

KTVA reporter quits on-air, reveals herself as owner of Alaska Cannabis Club - YouTube

“Now everything you've heard is why I, the actual owner of the Alaska Cannabis Club, will be dedicating all of my energy toward fighting for freedom and fairness, which begins with legalizing marijuana here in Alaska," she said. "And as for this job, well, not that I have a choice but, **** it, I quit.”

Greene soon after told the Alaska Dispatch News that KTVA was unaware of her role with the Cannabis Club or her plans to part ways with the network, and an NBC News-affiliate has since confirmed that state records show the organization is owned by Charlene Egbe — Greene’s legal name. KTVA apologized after the incident on Facebook “for the inappropriate language” and said Greene, who had been quite clear about quitting, has been terminated.

"If I offended anyone, I apologize,” Greene told ADN, “but I’m not sorry for the choice that I made.”

As footage of the incident began to circulate around the web, the Alaska Cannabis Club’s social media accounts soon directed followers to a video featuring the now-former news anchor further explaining her reasoning for resigning.

Why I quit: - YouTube

“Nearly a century of marijuana prohibition and stigma has stained America, the land of the free and the home of the brave. But we have a chance to start taking back the right,” Greene says in the clip.

“Advocating for freedom and fairness should be everyone’s duty. I’m making it my life work to uphold what America stands for truly: life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness — ideals that now need to be defended,” Greene continues. “But I can’t do this alone. I need you in the very least to start the conversation. Talk to a friend, a mother, a co-worker, brother, anyone. Just share your own ‘My Marijuana’ story. Show them that we smokers are responsible, contributing members to society.”

“Changing one heart and mind at a time is the only way to legalize marijuana and bask in lady liberty’s glory,” Greene says before formally offering her endorsement of Ballot Measure 2— a law up for vote on November 4 that, if successful, will allow adults in Alaska to possess, grow and sell weed without requiring a medical script as currently state rules specify.

"The proposed initiative will take marijuana sales out of the underground market and put them in legitimate, taxpaying businesses,” Tim Hinterberger, a sponsor of the bill and a developmental biology professor at the University of Alaska, previously told the Huffington Post. “Replacing marijuana prohibition with a system of taxation and sensible regulation will bolster Alaska’s economy by creating jobs and generating revenue for the state."

If Alaskans vote ‘yes’ on Ballot 2 — an effort that Greene says is a “a vote for liberty, freedom and fairness” — then the state will become the third in the US after Colorado and Washington to allow adults to legally purchase and possess restricted amounts of marijuana for recreational purposes. Federally speaking, however, pot sale and cultivation remains illegal.

source: http://rt.com/usa/189704-alaska-mar..._medium=aplication_chrome&utm_campaign=chrome

F*ck'in Pot Heads!!!

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
‘F**k it, I quit’ – Alaska TV reporter resigns on air to fight for marijuana legalization

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
An Anchorage judge has ordered Charlene Egbe, better known as Charlo Greene, to move out of the old Kodiak Bar and Grill by Monday at 5 p.m.

Egbe appeared at a Friday eviction hearing, in a case brought by her landlords and held this week, to fight a motion that the Alaska Cannabis Club be forced to leave the upstairs section of the former restaurant at 225 E. 5th Ave.

The hearing was the latest emotionally charged event in a busy winter for Egbe, who walked off the air at Anchorage CBS affiliate KTVA with a profanity, after covering a September story on the ballot measure Alaskans ultimately approved to legalize recreational marijuana in November. Egbe’s announcement as she quit that she owned the Alaska Cannabis Club drew attention from the Alaska Public Offices Commission, which subsequently investigated whether she had violated campaign laws in doing so.

According to Alaska Commons coverage of the eviction hearing, Ethann and Donald Oldham sought to remove Egbe from the Kodiak Bar and Grill premises, after a party to be held Friday evening was announced at the “Alaska Cannabis Clubhouse.” The Oldhams said the planned service of alcohol at the party would violate both state liquor laws and insurance requirements.

Sarha Shaubach, the building’s downstairs tenant, told the Anchorage Press last month that Egbe had become belligerent after holding loud parties. She also wouldn’t let fire inspectors inspect the building’s upstairs sprinkler system, a step necessary for Shaubach to obtain a business license, barring them from the area by claiming it as her private residence.

Egbe had a few testy moments in court Friday, admitting that representatives of Anchorage fire and police, the state fire marshal’s office, and the state Alcoholic Beverage Control Board had all stopped by the premises. Egbe acted as her own lawyer, and at times the exchanges between her and her now-former landlord were quite heated.

District Court Judge Pamela Washington ultimately sided with Egbe on her assertion that she hadn’t broken the law, saying that the Oldhams’ claims of illegal activity weren't proven by the evidence. Washington did find that Egbe violated her lease by not obtaining insurance in a reasonable amount of time, and was therefore subject to eviction.

Washington’s decision on Monday as an eviction date did leave Egbe with one triumph in court: the judge said there was nothing she could do to stop the Cannabis Club’s Friday party.

video

Charlo Greene evicted from Anchorage cannabis 'clubhouse' | Local News - KTUU.com Anchorage

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Ha, what a way to go out. Its the best part of quitting.
it was cool that she quit on air with that story as the lead, but the part I really was stoked about was the look on her co-workers face..."deer in the head lights" blink...speak...blink...completely blank....bwahahaha...THEN you can hear one of the camera people give a small snort of laughter...

she certainly has all of her facts together...

District Court Judge Pamela Washington ultimately sided with Egbe on her assertion that she hadn’t broken the law, saying that the Oldhams’ claims of illegal activity weren't proven by the evidence. Washington did find that Egbe violated her lease by not obtaining insurance in a reasonable amount of time, and was therefore subject to eviction.
that wasn't smart of her

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Police raid club of pot activist who quit TV job on air

The police took marijuana and impounded a Dodge Dakota and a Jeep Liberty on Friday, KTUU (http://bit.ly/1ARX4oU ) reported.

Greene is a former television reporter who gained notoriety when she quit her job on live TV in September with an expletive and announced she's becoming an advocate to legalize the recreational use of marijuana in Alaska.

Greene, whose legal name is Charlene Egbe, told KTVA (http://bit.ly/1I7Xht7 ) the club is a medical marijuana dispensary. "We don't sell any recreational marijuana. We don't sell any medical marijuana. This is a place for cardholders to come and share their own cannabis," she said.

The residence is home to multiple medical marijuana cardholders, as well as the club, she said.

"I saw them uproot a couple of marijuana plants. They took some bongs and pipes and phones and computers, and that's pretty much it," Greene said on scene as bags of items were carried out by police.

Greene said she reopened the club on Saturday.

"By opening back up bright and early, less than 24 hours after the local police department's failed scare tactic, we, at the Alaska Cannabis Club, have made it clear that the will of the people is stronger than any force they have — and we aren't going anywhere," she said in an email to The Associated Press.

Greene said she was "incensed" the police executed a search warrant on her instead of focusing on a stabbing and shootings that happened nearby just a few hours before.

Alaska voters last year approved a ballot measure legalizing the recreational use of marijuana. But it's still illegal to sell the drug.
Guidelines for the regulation of the marijuana trade are under consideration by the Legislature.

Anchorage Police Department spokeswoman Jennifer Castro said it's "very important that people don't try to jump the gun until the state sets our other rules and protocols for the sale and commercialization of marijuana."

No arrests have been made or charges filed in connection with the raid.

Police raid club of pot activist who quit TV job on air

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
What news have you got to report in Alaska? The place has that "Closed on Sundays" feel about it even more than Canada does.

Last edited:

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
What news have you got to report in Alaska? The place has that Sunday feel about it even more than Canada does.
nope see below

It may seem incongruous that Alaska, which has a low poverty rate and high levels of high school and college graduates, would be among the states with the worst crime rates. It has among the worst violent crime rates in part because of its forcible rape rate: 79.7 per 100,000 residents, the nation's highest rate.Oct 5, 2013

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
You can imagine the local news there:

"The headlines tonight on Alaska Reports:

Woman chokes on muktuk in Manokotaktaktoktokalok; man in Tunuliakolioknunavutilok slides on ice; and, in Upper Skaliatutavutiliak Pass, two children beat their grandmother in Cluedo."

Alaska has got to be one of the most tedious and depressing places on Earth to live.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Is the natural lighting at that latitude good for a grow-op? Granted you would need a tent and supplementary heat unless the excess in the summer could be tapped. A modern gen set would only emit CO2 and when you are in a green house that is food for the plants. With material capable of 20 years it might be possible to locate them on the south side of the hills so the get the most heat from the sun and shelter from the winter winds.

Somebody should tell the zombies that they won't die if they don't eat and seat-belts don't matter in crashes if you are almost immortal and a little gibbled to begin with. Zombi demo derby where they take on a car until they win.