Mulcair to rasie minimum wage!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Just heard on C.B.C. radio news that if Mulcair becomes P.M. he will raise the minimum wage to $19 by 2019. He didn't mention that the price of virtually everything will increase. He don't seem to get the picture that you are no better off in a boat at high tide than you are at low tide. Perhaps the boy is a little shy on I.Q. points! -:)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Desperate people promise dumb things.

For sure- absolutely no savvy about how the financial situation works. It's already getting kind of awkward having to push two wheel barrows full of money around town for the weekly shopping. -:)

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
In Australia the minimum wage is around 16$/ hour.
Higher wages means more money spent, more taxes collected, a better livable life style, a better economy. What would you rather have, people living well or the rich getting richer while the poor get poorer. If CEOs can make in the millions while the workers have to be on food stamps that your tax dollars pay for, the economy and everybody is diminished. The present system is inequitable, unsustainable and just plain stupid.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
One would have to look where the minimum wage jobs are before running wild disaster theories.
Definitely have some impact on the economy how much and where? ... Dunno I am not an armchair economist.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Who's gonna hire a 15 year old to flip burgers for $19/hr. High unemployment is the result of high minimum wage.

Gubmint should not be telling the job makers what their employees get paid.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Yeah, okay. Wouldn't Mulclair actually have to be Prime Minister for this to actually become an issue? Right now he's just trying to hold onto Official Opposition....so he's going to make statements designed to achieve that end.

No reason to panic folks.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Who's gonna hire a 15 year old to flip burgers for $19/hr. High unemployment is the result of high minimum wage.

Gubmint should not be telling the job makers what their employees get paid.

The job makers are the middle class. People like you can't seem to grasp that concept

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Just heard on C.B.C. radio news that if Mulcair becomes P.M. he will raise the minimum wage to $19 by 2019. He didn't mention that the price of virtually everything will increase. He don't seem to get the picture that you are no better off in a boat at high tide than you are at low tide. Perhaps the boy is a little shy on I.Q. points! -:)

Always verify what you're hearing.........

The New Democrats want it to start at $12 and rise gradually to $15 by 2019.

NDP proposes $15-an-hour federal minimum wage - The Globe and Mail

A recent study by Statistics Canada shows that in real terms, the average minimum wage in Canada increased by just one penny between 1975-2013.

The Liberals eliminated the federal minimum wage in the 1990s – and an NDP government will undo that damage.

Our plan is a concrete step to fight growing income inequality and improve standards for workers across the country.

https://action.ndp.ca/page/m/2a8b19b5/38da1241/511b4bf/6c4b84d5/707161944/VEsF/

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
He don't seem to get the picture that you are no better off in a boat at high tide than you are at low tide.

8O

Have you ever been in a boat before? Ever had to avoid ending up on the rocks? I don't think you could have picked a worse analogy.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
The job makers are the middle class. People like you can't seem to grasp that concept
You're daft. The job makers are those who will hire others who earn their wage. In other words if you aren't worth the minimum wage to the employer you ain't being hired.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
It will work for a very short time. But then as the increased costs work through the supply chain, everything will go up in price (because the increased costs are NOT going to come out of the companies profits) and then the person making minimum wage will be able to only buy the same amount of stuff they can now.

Of course the rest of us will buy less as our wages did not go up but the costs did.

The solution to working people being poor is not through playing with the minimum wage. I would change our welfare system to supplement all those working under the poverty line. I would take that money from the deadbeats who do not want to work. Let's reward somebody for getting a job and help them make ends meet rather than rewarding them for not taking the job.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
It will work for a very short time. But then as the increased costs work through the supply chain, everything will go up in price (because the increased costs are NOT going to come out of the companies profits) and then the person making minimum wage will be able to only buy the same amount of stuff they can now.

Of course the rest of us will buy less as our wages did not go up but the costs did.

The solution to working people being poor is not through playing with the minimum wage. I would change our welfare system to supplement all those working under the poverty line. I would take that money from the deadbeats who do not want to work. Let's reward somebody for getting a job and help them make ends meet rather than rewarding them for not taking the job.

I completely agree.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

Guaranteed income supplement. Just tweak it a little?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
In addition, increased funding to adult education via Job Centres/Employment Offices, for people displaced by layoffs and closures, or wanting to move on from deadend minimum wage jobs.

Holy crap! Is this conversation actually producing fruitful dialogue?

Last edited: