Family angered as former Quebec doctor who killed kids granted bail

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Family angered as former Quebec doctor who killed kids granted bail

CTVNews.ca Staff
Published Friday, September 12, 2014 10:56AM EDT
Last Updated Friday, September 12, 2014 12:57PM EDT Family members of the ex-wife of Guy Turcotte are outraged that the former Quebec cardiologist who admitted killing his two children has been granted bail.
Guy Turcotte was ordered freed on bail Friday while he awaits a new trial in the deaths of his children Olivier, 5, and Anne-Sophie, 3.
Turcotte's former wife, Isabelle Gaston, did not attend the hearing, but CTV's Vanessa Lee reports that her family was there and were clearly angry with the decision.

"Isabelle Gaston's brother stormed out of the court room right after the decision was read," she said, adding that the family was outraged.
Crown prosecutor René Verret told reporters outside the St. Jerome, Que.court that he was disappointed with the decision.
“Of course, this is not the conclusion that the Crown expected,” he said.
In Friday's ruling, the judge said he was satisfied that Turcotte was not a flight risk and posed no danger to himself or the public.
Turcotte testified during his bail hearing that his mental health was better, thanks to medications and regular appointments with health professionals, and that he had a strong support system in place. Two psychiatrists agreed with that assessment and testified that Turcotte did not represent a danger to society.
The former physician said he would live with his aunt and uncle if released on bail and would be of more use to society as a caregiver to them, instead of in prison.
The judge attached several conditions to Turcotte's release, including requiring his brother to act as a surety and pledge $100,000. Turcotte must also abide by a strict curfew and have no contact with his former wife, Isabelle Gaston. He must also continue taking his medication and check in with police several times a month.
Lee reports it is unlikely Turcotte will leave the mental health facility today but will wait until all the bail conditions can be met.
At his trial in 2011, Turcotte said he attempted suicide by drinking windshield washer fluid and then stabbed his children to death because he did not want them to find his body.
He was found not criminally responsible for the deaths and spent 18 months at the Pinel Institute for the mentally ill before being released in December 2012.
In November 2013, the Crown successfully appealed the verdict, citing errors by the trial judge in his instructions to the jury. A new trial was ordered and Turcotte was re-arrested.
His new trial is scheduled to begin in September 2015.

Read more: Ex-Quebec doctor, Guy Turcotte, who killed his kids granted bail | CTV News

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I'm not very hapopy about this either. This SOB stabbed his children to death,....a two year old and a five year old. He claims he drank windshield washer fluid to commit suicide. You can bet he didn't drink much of it This guy was a doctor and would know what would kill him.....probably had something in his bag that would do it.

QuebecCanadian

Electoral Member
Apr 13, 2014
Dammit....I did it again. Posted the same (ish) thing.

Very pissed at the outcome but not at all surprised any more. How much you wanna bet Luka Magnotta gets off? :(

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Dammit....I did it again. Posted the same (ish) thing.

Locutus will merge.....it's his "thing", lol.

Very pissed at the outcome but not at all surprised any more. How much you wanna bet Luka Magnotta gets off? :(
It's disheartening. As I said the other day, haven't felt this much hatred for someone since Homolka. And I really, really hated her.

Magnotta, if he get's anything less than 'forever' in jail, I'm staging a coup d'etat. I'll PM you with details, Lol.