More hypocracy from the feminists.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
A new taxi company in New York will cater only to women and will have female drivers.
SheTaxis (or SheRides as it will be called in New York City) will serve women who may feel uncomfortable being driven by a man, or who just want the company of a female driver, the New York Times reports.
Women can hail a cab using an iPhone app starting Sept. 16. An Android app is also in the works.
"You feel safer and more comfortable with a woman," Gretchen Britt, a 51-year-old school clerk from Manhattan, told the newspaper.
Stella Mateo, a mother of two daughters, came up with the idea, telling the newspaper she would have liked to have had the option of having a woman driver take her girls to soccer practice or to see friends.
Josephina Soto, 25, is a driver for the company and said it's "the cab version of the gym."

Sun News : New York taxi service to cater to women only

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
are there male on female violence from cab drivers? I thought cab company's had to uphold certain safety standards when it came to hiring drivers?

I like the idea of consideration of safety for women, but I feel that it can also lead to women feeling less empowered and more fearful then they should be.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
The New York City Human Rights Law prohibits discrimination in employment, housing, and public accommodations based on race, color, creed, age, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, GENDER (including gender identity and sexual harassment), sexual orientation, disability, or marital status

EEO Laws - EEPC

I believe that under NYC statute, this company's activities will be found to be illegal.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
There's one local cab company that, when I need a cab, I call them as they do zone pricing as opposed to metered service. A little pricier for short trips but cross city ends up being the same as the meter rate. Plus they're a bit more 'upscale' geared towards the business person so their cabs are always spotless clean, they are extremely courteous, etc. They have a very diverse staff including women. Inevitably every time I get a female driver, they simply won't shut up and yap all the way, completely oblivious to the normal signals we give when someone is not in the mood for small talk. I hate getting the female drivers, I'm female and I detest small talk.

I cannot imagine ever wanting to utilize this service, lol.

When it comes to safety and comfort, the two main objectives stated, I think a service would do far better to operate with a thoroughly vetted employee roster and other safety features (whatever they may be) and promote the business in that manner. Yes it would probably come at a bit of a premium (like my example above) but it would be well worth it if I were entrusting a company to ferry my kids to after school activities or utilizing it late at night.

If some moslem guy said he would want a guys only taxi service, there would be an uproar.

There are too many people who say they want equality, inclusiveness, etc except when it comes to their very own special interest group.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
A new taxi company in New York will cater only to women and will have female drivers.
SheTaxis (or SheRides as it will be called in New York City) will serve women who may feel uncomfortable being driven by a man, or who just want the company of a female driver, the New York Times reports.
Women can hail a cab using an iPhone app starting Sept. 16. An Android app is also in the works.
"You feel safer and more comfortable with a woman," Gretchen Britt, a 51-year-old school clerk from Manhattan, told the newspaper.
Stella Mateo, a mother of two daughters, came up with the idea, telling the newspaper she would have liked to have had the option of having a woman driver take her girls to soccer practice or to see friends.
Josephina Soto, 25, is a driver for the company and said it's "the cab version of the gym."

Sun News : New York taxi service to cater to women only

I have no problem with women-only gyms.

I have no problem with women-only cabs.

I have no problem with men-only barbers.

If you DO have a problem with any one of the above, you must have a problem with all of the above.

That simple.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
That simple.

Not so. The most important consideration for this or any other issue is this - the law.

NYC law forbids gender based discrimination in public accommodations. Gyms, fraternities, Masons, etc are all private. Cabs, libraries, etc are public. Therefore, it is a good bet that cabs fall within the purview of this statute.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Not so. The most important consideration for this or any other issue is this - the law.

NYC law forbids gender based discrimination in public accommodations. Gyms, fraternities, Masons, etc are all private. Cabs, libraries, etc are public. Therefore, it is a good bet that cabs fall within the purview of this statute.

except that there are women's only fitness gym's in new york. So there is something legal about them.

In BC I am a member of a women's only gym and there are a number of women wearing head scarves. I assumed the presence of such gym's are able to get around the discrimination law because they are trumped by religious freedom.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
except that there are women's only fitness gym's in new york. So there is something legal about them.

In BC I am a member of a women's only gym and there are a number of women wearing head scarves. I assumed the presence of such gym's are able to get around the discrimination law because they are trumped by religious freedom.

This can be based on local law - for example single sex camps or schools are exempt in NY/NJ. I do not recall reading where transportation was under the exemption.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I like the idea of consideration of safety for women, but I feel that it can also lead to women feeling less empowered and more fearful then they should be.

I agree. Every time I see an 'accommodation' which is based on gender, or race, or sexual orientation I feel it also ends up being somewhat demeaning. Because there is always a flip side to the coin.

If there is a specific safety issue that is primarily targeted at women or girls, for whatever reason, and there is a remedy or safety measure for that issue, then that should be the minimum standard for service. Irrespective of the gender of the customer.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The International Feminist Conspiracy that ordered these two moves clearly didn't anticipate Gerry's dot-connecting genius. What a bunch of hypocrites!

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

If you see a fuse sticking out of one of the head scarves, might be wise to leave.

The International Feminist Conspiracy that ordered these two moves clearly didn't anticipate Gerry's dot-connecting genius. What a bunch of hypocrites!

Yup, gerry the genius;

Didn't you mean hypocrats ?

There, that's better for dot connection.8O

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I have no problem with women-only gyms.

I have no problem with women-only cabs.

I have no problem with men-only barbers.

If you DO have a problem with any one of the above, you must have a problem with all of the above.

That simple.
Unfortunately, there can be no room for exceptions. We tried that. Didn't work. Maybe in another 50 years.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Wad deaf whee jest spilled wards dee whey whee wan ted. Den know bawdy wood calm plane de whey hippo crates whiz spilled. Hippo crazy? Sew watt!

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

Didn't say anything about a conspiracy. Just pointing out the hypocrisy of those useless feminists. The ones that would have no problem with this, or women only gyms, or women only anything, all the while begrudging males the same options and freedoms.I see you and nuggler have no problem with this.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Didn't say anything about a conspiracy. Just pointing out the hypocrisy of those useless feminists. The ones that would have no problem with this, or women only gyms, or women only anything, all the while begrudging males the same options and freedoms.I see you and nuggler have no problem with this.

Is the business model the problem or feminists in general?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Is the business model the problem or feminists in general?

Read what I have written, and what Colpy wrote. I think you're smart enough to figure it out. If not, I apologize for over estimating you and just let me know and I will use smaller words and shorter sentences to explain it to you.