Putin Threatens Nuclear War Over Ukraine

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Putin Threatens Nuclear War Over Ukraine

On Friday, as Russian Federation tanks and troops poured across the border into eastern Ukraine, Vladimir Putin talked about his country’s most destructive weaponry. “I want to remind you that Russia is one of the most powerful nuclear nations,” he said. “This is a reality, not just words.” Russia, he told listeners, is “strengthening our nuclear deterrence forces.”

That same day, Putin used a term for eastern Ukraine meaning “New Russia.” So when he refers to repelling “any aggression against Russia” and speaks of “nuclear deterrence,” as he did on Friday, the Russian president is really warning us he will use nukes to protect his grab of Ukrainian territory.

For more than a generation, nuclear weapons were considered defensive only. In a few short sentences on Friday, however, Putin made these devices offensive in nature, just another tool to be employed by an aggressor. And to highlight his threat, on Aug. 14 at Yalta, the Crimean city he had seized this year, Putin mentioned “surprising the West with our new developments in offensive nuclear weapons about which we do not talk yet.”

Also in Yalta, where the Duma was meeting, the Russian leader spoke about renouncing the 1987 Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty between the U.S. and Russia. The treaty outlaws ground-launched ballistic and cruise missiles with ranges between 300 and 3,400 miles and is a foundation of the post-Cold War peace.

It is one thing to talk about withdrawing from the pact—Putin has been doing that since 2007—it is another to violate it, which Putin has apparently been doing since 2008, when Russia began testing cruise missiles again. And when the State Department’s Rose Gottemoeller raised the concern in May of last year, Russian officials tried to shut down the dialogue. According to The New York Times, they “said that they had looked into the matter and consider the issue to be closed.”

“Administration officials said the upheaval in Ukraine pushed the issue to the back burner,” the paper reported of the INF violation. Putin, with his comments Friday, just moved it to the front of the stove.

And not just in the European kitchen. If Putin manages to intimidate the West with his not-so-veiled promises to incinerate Ukraine’s defenders, other aggressors may think they too can employ his threatening tactics. For instance, both North Korea and China have recently talked about unleashing Armageddon.

source: Putin Threatens Nuclear War Over Ukraine - The Daily Beast

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Yup - just another effort on the part of the military industrial complex to get Congress to give them more trillions in corporate welfare. Sadly, some delusionals will believe that made up "threat" so kiss your tax dollars good bye.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Putin is an ***....he has way overplayed his card and is sounding desperate.

He'll get disappeared me thinks.

LOL

WHO is gonna "disappear" Mr. Putin??

I'm afraid Vladimir is a disappearer, not a disappearee...........unfortunately. :)

You just keep living in the land of unicorns and fairies.........leave the reality to the adults.

Yup - just another effort on the part of the military industrial complex to get Congress to give them more trillions in corporate welfare. Sadly, some delusionals will believe that made up "threat" so kiss your tax dollars good bye.

Yeah, that's right.

Putin is working as a promoter of the US arms industry.....

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Must be one helluva oil supply route to be pulling the nuke card.

Call his bluff.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Boomer loves Putin. Makes him feel all soft and squishy inside.
Maybe the correct answer is as easy as not having your butt-cheeks automatically clinch when you hear Uncle Sam or Captain Hindgrinder is coming to town.
The two week an Kiev is Moscow's will get to be the catch phrase of 'Iran wanting Israel pushed into the sea' comment. Is it a good Idea to let the opponent decide things like that?

Which brain in the West should be thanked for this headline?

Russian Bank Hires Two Former US Officials to Lobby Against Sanctions | World | RIA Novosti

I have wet dreams about him nightly.. what can I say..
I (barely) noticed you aren't claiming the right to make him the bitch, . . . .

Must be one helluva oil supply route to be pulling the nuke card.

Call his bluff.
Should the sign be a dark and cold city this winter or a parking lot where there used to be a city before winter came?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
That brings a tear to my eye, just like it would bring tears to your eyes. I see the Syrian refugees are getting food, somebody on 'the team' mess up? (not the usual style) Remember how the sane people do it. For every insult you should have one personal opinion to share about the 'subject' of the thread.

Better than bombs eh Comrade?

Russia breaks ground on new gas pipeline to China

Last edited:

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
It's gonna be hard to make steel without Ukrainian coal and hydro.

Duh, you wonder why he's taking over the Ukraine..

The Putin Nationalist part I like, but the Greedy Capitalist Thug I do not like. Somebody will Assassinate Putin if he continues down this road and with more stupid Nuke threats.

He needs to focus on Trade and Infrastructure to grow his own country..

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
He needs to focus on Trade and Infrastructure to grow his own country..

Hard to do that when you're banning imports from trading partners.

Investors are pulling capital out of Russia. Food prices are soaring. The rouble is losing value, as is their stock market. They better get that BRIC bank soon if they want to continue acting like they are, or Russia will have an internal battle to deal with.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Hard to do that when you're banning imports from trading partners.

Investors are pulling capital out of Russia. Food prices are soaring. The rouble is losing value, as is their stock market. They better get that BRIC bank soon if they want to continue acting like they are, or Russia will have an internal battle to deal with.

That didn't work out real great for the leadership last time.