Wage theft on the rise in the US

Tonington
Employers are being cracked down on by State and Federal regulators more than at any time in the past. In some cases, overtime hours are not being paid out by payroll. In other cases, the employer forced employees to sign blank time sheets so that they could record 'minimal' hours of work. FedEx, has classified it's drivers as independent contractors to avoid paying overtime.

"I’m amazed at how petty and abusive some of these practices are. Cutting corners is increasingly seen as a sign of libertarianism rather than the theft that it really is."
New York Attorney General, Eric T. Schneiderman (external - login to view)

I worked a crappy job after high school for about one year, unloading trucks for Zeller's. Something similar happened to me, though in the end it was some criminal fraud and embezzlement by the HR manager. And off to university I went!

Tecumsehsbones
+1
#2  Top Rated Post
Love me some free enterprise!

Tonington
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Love me some free enterprise!

Lol, free. Good one

Tecumsehsbones
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

Lol, free. Good one

Free to the enterprise. To the workers, not so much.

Retired_Can_Soldier
Most Trucking companies are federally registered so that when you have a labor dispute they don't have to answer to the province.

Tonington
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_SoldierView Post

Most Trucking companies are federally registered so that when you have a labor dispute they don't have to answer to the province.

Sounds a bit like registering a ship in the Bahamas. Though I hope you don't have to deal with Somali pirates...

Retired_Can_Soldier
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

Sounds a bit like registering a ship in the Bahamas. Though I hope you don't have to deal with Somali pirates...

Yeah its similar., I work for a company that treats its drivers pretty fair and pays well, but I'm in Alberta, you don't find a lot of that elsewhere.

Ludlow
Yes and we don't be needin any regulatory measures imposed on us good ole boys cause we're honest..

Tecumsehsbones
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by LudlowView Post

Yes and we don't be needin any regulatory measures imposed on us good ole boys cause we're honest..

Dam raht thar, good buddy. Thet thar gummint better keep its hands off'n our freedom!

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Dam raht thar, good buddy. Thet thar gummint better keep its hands off'n our freedom!

You and DB in the same shape going after the same poor sap? This is going to be a classic.