Mandatory Voting In Canada? Trudeau Liberals Ponder Idea

View Poll Results: Should voting be mandatory?
Yes 4 36.36%
No 7 63.64%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Grievous
Mandatory Voting In Canada? Trudeau Liberals Ponder Idea (external - login to view)

Tecumsehsbones
+4
Acts as an admission that your democracy has failed.

Grievous
+1 / -1
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Has it?

Maybe, I think in has failed in the U.S. considering how politicians are bought.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+2
It is a right. If you are too stupid to act on it, that is your right too. I would rather the uninformed don't vote than vote randomly or for a Lieberal.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by GrievousView Post

Has it?

Maybe, I think in has failed in the U.S. considering how politicians are bought.

Tu quoque fallacy is the best you got? How disappointing. You showed signs of being better than that.

Grievous
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

It is a right. If you are too stupid to act on it, that is your right too. I would rather the uninformed don't vote than vote randomly or for a Lieberal.

Why would they vote Liberal?

It could go any way.

Getting people to care is the problem.

We all clearly care on this site, left, right.....doesn't matter. We care.

It matters....we need to find ways to restore democracy.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1

Why would they vote Liberal?

It could go any way.

Getting people to care is the problem.

We all clearly care on this site, left, right.....doesn't matter. We care.

It matters....we need to find ways to restore democracy.

An uninformed vote is a wasted vote. We don't want random voting.

El Barto
+1

I get what you are saying. Democracy is supported by the will of the people, the only will the people have is to complain about the government.

To me it should be a duty to vote.

Tecumsehsbones
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by El BartoView Post

I get what you are saying. Democracy is supported by the will of the people, the only will the people have is to complain about the government.

When you start legislating duty, it's a pretty good sign your society is on the road to ruin.

El Barto
+1

When you start legislating duty, it's a pretty good sign your society is on the road to ruin.

Totally agree
Some things just need a kick in the seat of the pants.

Tecumsehsbones
+2
I joined the service for a lot of reasons: a job, educational benefits, travel, getting the hell out of Oklahoma. But there was also a sense of duty in the mix. It's complicated, but there was a duty to the warrior ethos of the Shawnees, to America, and a few other factors. I don't talk about it much.

Point is I felt that duty. By contrast, our posters who yell most loudly for war on Muslims or Russians or whoever has them scared this week somehow never felt that duty. But I have not the first doubt they count themselves better citizens and more patriotic than me.

Similarly, I vote every chance I get, despite the fact that my state and district are so Democratic that the election that counts is the Democratic primary, not the general election. Again, sense of duty. Some feel it, some don't. My grandmother's probably primarily responsible in my case.

IdRatherBeSkiing

I joined the service for a lot of reasons: a job, educational benefits, travel, getting the hell out of Oklahoma. But there was also a sense of duty in the mix. It's complicated, but there was a duty to the warrior ethos of the Shawnees, to America, and a few other factors. I don't talk about it much.

Point is I felt that duty. By contrast, our posters who yell most loudly for war on Muslims or Russians or whoever has them scared this week somehow never felt that duty. But I have not the first doubt they count themselves better citizens and more patriotic than me.

Similarly, I vote every chance I get, despite the fact that my state and district are so Democratic that the election that counts is the Democratic primary, not the general election. Again, sense of duty. Some feel it, some don't. My grandmother's probably primarily responsible in my case.

Not everybody has the same call to duty. Not everybody is cut out to be a soldier. I vote in every election. I pay my taxes honestly. I voice my opinion and have worked on campaigns if so moved. But I never felt the want or need to join the military. I honestly don't think I would be capable of killing someone and if I did, I know I would not be the same person.

El Barto
+1

I also understand it is hard to find that sense of duty when you see parties attack each other for better posturing, or lack of sensible Candidates. Not to mention the scandals and wasting tax payers money....

Tecumsehsbones
+4
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

Not everybody has the same call to duty. Not everybody is cut out to be a soldier. I vote in every election. I pay my taxes honestly. I voice my opinion and have worked on campaigns if so moved. But I never felt the want or need to join the military. I honestly don't think I would be capable of killing someone and if I did, I know I would not be the same person.

I got no problem with that. My problem lies with those whose solution to everything is war, but when the time came for them to put their a$$es where their mouths were, they had "other priorities," to quote the former Vice President.

As far as voting, turns out there's a Lazarus Long quote for that, too:

"If you are part of a society that votes, then do so. There may be no candidates and measures you want to vote for... But there are certain to be ones you want to vote against. In case of doubt, vote against. By this rule you will rarely go wrong.

If this is too blind for your taste, consult some well-meaning fool (there is always one around) and ask his advice. Then vote the other way. This enables you to be a good citizen (if such is your wish) without spending the enormous amount of time that truly intelligent exercise of the franchise requires. "

--Lazarus Long

damngrumpy
+2
I think everyone should vote. Parties arguing in the House is part of the process
compromise comes from a great argument and debate. The negative campaigns
are part of the system except the present government has taken them to a new
low and stays in election mode polarizing the country. The time to go after this
government is soon with all the stuff they pulled off it should be a great verbal
light show. I'm for anyone but Harper.

mentalfloss
If we did this we would never have a Conservative government.

Corduroy
+2
I refuse to vote in this poll.

Has it?

He said it was an admission that you democracy has failed. It's failed in the US but they ain't admitting it.

skookumchuck
Forced voting? How tribal.

IdRatherBeSkiing
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

If we did this we would never have a Conservative government.

So you agree that ignorant uninformed voters would likely vote Lieberal?

Colpy
+1
Of COURSE Trudeau's Liberals support forcing people to the polls.

#juan
+1
Some of our posters require a bulls--t filter.

One of Trudeau'd advisers brought up the subject and Trudeau said he would look at it.

Ron in Regina
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by El BartoView Post

It is a duty to vote, but it shouldn't be mandatory.

Personally, I give more weight to the complains of someone
(about the gov't) who bothered to get of their couch and go to
the polls than I do to someone who couldn't be bothered to vote
and yet snivels about the results.

darkbeaver

Has it?

The Canadian economy and culture and currency is 80% American, but the elected in Canada, according to you, are superior ethical prodigy. How is this purity instilled in our honorable members of Parliament?

Ron in Regina
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

The Canadian economy and culture and currency is 80% American, but the elected in Canada, according to you, are superior ethical prodigy. How is this purity instilled in our honorable members of Parliament?

Good morning db (It's still morning out here on the flat lands).

I think caps (I believe it's a max of $1,100.00 per person or
company....or something along those lines) on political
donations helps in Canada. It's pretty hard to purchase (or
at least rent for a while) a politician's soul for $1,100 bucks.

Locutus
I'll save some of you from having to click past shiny pony's glam shots in the link...enjoy their little poll yourself:

Take our 2-minute Summer Caucus issues poll (external - login to view)

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

I think everyone should vote. Parties arguing in the House is part of the process
compromise comes from a great argument and debate. The negative campaigns
are part of the system except the present government has taken them to a new
low and stays in election mode polarizing the country. The time to go after this
government is soon with all the stuff they pulled off it should be a great verbal
light show. I'm for anyone but Harper.

Why should we vote? The game will not change with new elected servants of wealth. If you could point to a Canadian election in the last 60 years where these replacement ministers deviated from the banker agenda by as much as a comma, I would like to hear of it.

Locutus
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

Why should we vote? The game will not change with new elected servants of wealth. If you could point to a Canadian election in the last 60 years where these replacement ministers deviated from the banker agenda by as much as a comma, I would like to hear of it.

it's one of those self-platitudes that spastics like to spout as if they're gonna get some pat on the back...I vote, I pay my taxes (try NOT paying them and then come tell us all about it), I do this I do that...*yawn*

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in ReginaView Post

Good morning db (It's still morning out here on the flat lands).

I think caps (I believe it's a max of $1,100.00 per person or
company....or something along those lines) on political
donations helps in Canada. It's pretty hard to purchase (or
at least rent for a while) a politician's soul for $1,100 bucks.

Blackmail is is dirt cheap, a picture is worth ten thousand words a clip is worth millions. Most are bought at birth anyway, the right people go to the right schools and play in the right clubs and pray to the same Gods. Money isn't everything.

Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

it's one of those self-platitudes that spastics like to spout as if they're gonna get some pat on the back...I vote, I pay my taxes (try NOT paying them and then come tell us all about it), I do this I do that...*yawn*

You pay taxes!!!? You need a consultant. I've seen no change in Canadian government adherence to the designed policies of the Black Nobility in my entire voting history. My pat on the back is the gas and time I don't waste electing another baby licking stooge to office. We Canadians don't even control our own currency, as long as the central banks do, a vote in Canada is a vote for the same people with a better hair cut and a different suit. Not paying taxes is easy, get out of money.

SLM
+5
#29  Top Rated Post
Instead of politicians mandating that we should vote, how about they do a better job of earning our vote?

spaminator
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Instead of politicians mandating that we should vote, how about they do a better job of earning our vote?

in the future they will be telling us that voting for their party is mandatory.