9yo girl accidentally kills gun instructor in Arizona

B00Mer

A nine-year-old girl accidentally shot a gun instructor in the head with Uzi automatic gun at a shooting range. The man didn’t survive his injuries and died shortly after being airlifted to a medical center.

The incident happened at the outdoor shooting range in the city of White Hills, Arizona, according to a press release from the sheriff’s office in Mohave County.

The investigators identified the victim as Charles Vacca, 39, of Lake Havasu City, Arizona. At the time of the shooting Vacca was standing next to the girl while he was showing her how to use the weapon.

Then the girl “pulled the trigger on the automatic Uzi, the recoil sent the gun over her head,” said the investigators, adding that Vacca was shot “accidentally” in the head.

He was then airlifted to a University Medical Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, but didn’t survive his injuries and was pronounced dead.

9-year-old girl accidentally kills shooting instructor with Uzi - YouTube

The video of the incident was posted on YouTube. The footage shows a young girl beside a man in camouflage pants.

“All right, full auto!” he says when she managed to shoot. Then comes a spray of bullets and at the end one can hear the child’s scream.

“The guy just dropped,” Mohave County Sheriff Jim McCabe told the Las Vegas Review-Journal, adding that no charges would be filed against the shooting range as it is a licensed operation.

Sheriff said that the girl successfully fired the 9mm weapon several times when it was set in the “single-shot” mode. Then the weapon was put into the “fully-automatic” mode which became fatal for the instructor.

The sheriff’s spokeswoman, Trish Carter, told the Las Vegas Review-Journal that the girl, whose name hasn’t been revealed, was vacationing from New Jersey with her parents.

Ronald Scott, a Phoenix-based firearms safety expert, told AP that most shooting ranges have strict safety rules and age limits, adding that the gun instructors should have their hands on the weapons when the children are shooting.

"You can't give a 9-year-old an Uzi and expect her to control it," Scott said.

Jeff Frichette, director of training for The Range 702 in Las Vegas, said that “hypothetically” a 9-year-old would be able to shoot a fully automatic weapon, but it’s a decision based on physical and safety guidelines.

The children must be “physically and mentally prepared” before they are allowed to shoot a fully automatic weapon, he added.

The Uzi is an Israeli open-bolt, blowback-operated submachine gun designed in the late 1940s. It is used as a personal defense weapon by artillery troops and officers, as well as a frontline weapon by light infantry assault forces.

source: rt.com/usa/183108-girl-kill-g...ampaign=chrome (external - login to view)

Personally, I think there should be an age restriction on gun use, like driving a car.. 16 years old sounds about right.

Twila
+3
She's scarred for life. I don't know that it's necessary to teach 9 yrs olds to fire automatic weapons... Tragic.

petros
+2
Quote:

Personally, I think there should be an age restriction on gun use, like driving a car.. 16 years old sounds about right.

I think instructors should stand BEHIND their student, but that is just my opinion.

Tecumsehsbones
Already posted in the "Gun Control Is Useless" thread.

Colpy
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

A nine-year-old girl accidentally shot a gun instructor in the head with Uzi automatic gun at a shooting range. The man didn’t survive his injuries and died shortly after being airlifted to a medical center.

The incident happened at the outdoor shooting range in the city of White Hills, Arizona, according to a press release from the sheriff’s office in Mohave County.

The investigators identified the victim as Charles Vacca, 39, of Lake Havasu City, Arizona. At the time of the shooting Vacca was standing next to the girl while he was showing her how to use the weapon.

Then the girl “pulled the trigger on the automatic Uzi, the recoil sent the gun over her head,” said the investigators, adding that Vacca was shot “accidentally” in the head.

He was then airlifted to a University Medical Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, but didn’t survive his injuries and was pronounced dead.

9-year-old girl accidentally kills shooting instructor with Uzi - YouTube

The video of the incident was posted on YouTube. The footage shows a young girl beside a man in camouflage pants.

“All right, full auto!” he says when she managed to shoot. Then comes a spray of bullets and at the end one can hear the child’s scream.

“The guy just dropped,” Mohave County Sheriff Jim McCabe told the Las Vegas Review-Journal, adding that no charges would be filed against the shooting range as it is a licensed operation.

Sheriff said that the girl successfully fired the 9mm weapon several times when it was set in the “single-shot” mode. Then the weapon was put into the “fully-automatic” mode which became fatal for the instructor.

The sheriff’s spokeswoman, Trish Carter, told the Las Vegas Review-Journal that the girl, whose name hasn’t been revealed, was vacationing from New Jersey with her parents.

Ronald Scott, a Phoenix-based firearms safety expert, told AP that most shooting ranges have strict safety rules and age limits, adding that the gun instructors should have their hands on the weapons when the children are shooting.

"You can't give a 9-year-old an Uzi and expect her to control it," Scott said.

Jeff Frichette, director of training for The Range 702 in Las Vegas, said that “hypothetically” a 9-year-old would be able to shoot a fully automatic weapon, but it’s a decision based on physical and safety guidelines.

The children must be “physically and mentally prepared” before they are allowed to shoot a fully automatic weapon, he added.

The Uzi is an Israeli open-bolt, blowback-operated submachine gun designed in the late 1940s. It is used as a personal defense weapon by artillery troops and officers, as well as a frontline weapon by light infantry assault forces.

source: rt.com/usa/183108-girl-kill-g...ampaign=chrome (external - login to view)

Oh come on!!

First of all, accidents happen......in pools, on go carts, around playgrounds, etc etc etc.

This was awful, and one should not have had a 9 year old firing a full auto..........but I bought a Savage single shot .22 for my grandson (who just turned 9). The rifle is called the Rascal, and is made for a child (UNLIKE an Uzi).

Beside a 1911 pistol, to give you scale........not my pic, BTW.

Oh, one last thing....the rifle sits in my gun safe........

Corduroy

What part of shall not be infringed don't you understand?

IdRatherBeSkiing
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

I think instructors should stand BEHIND their student, but that is just my opinion.

He was wasn't he? I thought it recoiled back and she got him behind.

Tecumsehsbones
I think the girl should be prosecuted.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

This was awful, and one should not have had a 9 year old firing a full auto..........but I bought a Savage single shot .22 for my grandson (who just turned 9). The rifle is called the Rascal, and is made for a child (UNLIKE an Uzi).

Savage makes the best entry level rifles on the market and they are affordable. $360 for a decent hunting rifle with optics can't be beat.

Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

He was wasn't he? I thought it recoiled back and she got him behind.

He was beside her and leaning forward.

#juan
+3
This has to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard. What the hell was a nine year old doing firing a machine gun in the first place? The parent should be charged with criminal negligence.....at least.

Blackleaf
+1
Yanks and their guns. They'll never learn. Other than Mad Muzzies in "Palestine" and one or two other areas, the Yanks must be the only people who allow children to use guns. They aren't toys. They're deadly weapons.

Tecumsehsbones
+1
Nonsense. Back when y'all had testicles, y'all let kids play with guns. Y'all called 'em "midshipmen."

As I said, back when your Navy wasn't a cartoon.

Blackleaf
+6
#13  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Nonsense. Back when y'all had testicles, y'all let kids play with guns. Y'all called 'em "midshipmen."

As I said, back when your Navy wasn't a cartoon.

Yeah. Real men let 9 year old kids play with guns.

Americans don't seem to understand that a gun is a deadly weapon. It is not something that a child should be allowed to use. It isn't a toy.

There's something wrong in America when it has the highest legal alcohol drinking age in the world at 21 (Canada has the second-highest in the world at 19; in Britain it is 16) yet 9 year old children are allowed to fire submachine guns.

That nine year old girl can't buy a beer until the laughable age of 21, yet she's apparently old enough to fire a machine gun.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

Americans don't seem to understand that a gun is a deadly weapon. It is not something that a child should be allowed to use. It isn't a toy.

There's something wrong in America when it has the highest legal alcohol drinking age in the world at 21 (Canada has the second-highest in the world at 19; in Britain it is 16) yet 9 year old children are allowed to fire submachine guns.

Good post.

Tecumsehsbones

That nine year old girl can't buy a beer until the laughable age of 21, yet she's apparently old enough to fire a machine gun.

Well, I certainly favour lowering the drinking age.

Blackleaf
In the whole of 2011, there were 51 gun deaths (of all types - murder, accident, etc) in the UK. 51 - in the whole year. 51.

In the same year in the US, there were 83 guns deaths.... PER DAY.

The US population is about five times that of the UK population, which means that, if the US had the same number of gun deaths per head of population than the UK, then it would have over 250 gun deaths per year. Instead, it has over 3000 gun deaths per year.

Murders with the use of a firearm in the UK are almost the lowest in the entire world - an average of just 0.1 per 100,000 per year. In the US, that figure is 3.2 per 100,000 people.

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by CorduroyView Post

What part of shall not be infringed don't you understand?

one word.. ObamaCare.. legislated health care like auto Insurance.. laws change.. some for the better, and some not so much, depending who you are..

Funny Corduroy you bitching at me as if I'm anti-Gun or something... LOL

I do however feel training requirements and age restrictions should be legislated, past that, everyone should be able to have a gun and open carry.

#juan

one word.. ObamaCare.. legislated health care like auto Insurance.. laws change.. some for the better, and some not so much, depending who you are..

I do however feel training requirements and age restrictions should be legislated, past that, everyone should be able to have a gun and open carry.

God help us.!!

petros
+2

Yanks and their guns. They'll never learn. Other than Mad Muzzies in "Palestine" and one or two other areas, the Yanks must be the only people who allow children to use guns. They aren't toys. They're deadly weapons.

They are weapons in the hands of fools. Next time you need gun toting Americans and Canadians to save the turd in the Atlantic punch bowl we'll be there to save you yet again.
Last edited by petros; 3 weeks ago at 01:47 PM..

coldstream
The girl's parents should be arrested..and the NRA listed as a co-conspirator.. for criminally negligent homicide.

A 9 year old getting Uzi lessons, good grief.. real 2nd Amendment stuff in the U.S.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by coldstreamView Post

The girl's parents should be arrested..and the NRA listed as a co-conspirator.. for criminally negligent homicide.

A 9 year old getting Uzi lessons, good grief.. real 2nd Amendment stuff in the U.S.

She is just trying to make a fashion statement just like Israeli girls.

Tecumsehsbones

Funny Corduroy you bitching at me as if I'm anti-Gun or something... LOL

Sounds like infringement to me. And I can't rightly recollect an amendment on health care.

Zipperfish
+1
That's gotta be a Darwin Award winner.

Grievous
Guess the guy wasn't a very good instructor.

Btw, who teaches a 9 year old how to fire an Uzi anyways.

Twila
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by GrievousView Post

Btw, who teaches a 9 year old how to fire an Uzi anyways.

Those who have no plans past the first lesson, I'd imagine. Given recent circumstances and all

damngrumpy
+1
First of all I don't fire a gun don't own a gun and don't want to. Now a nine year old
with a machine gun is really over the top. She should not have been allowed near it.
To suggest however that a child should not have lessons in firing a weapon of less
potential danger is not valid either. Like all things children should be taught safety.
Farm kids handle guns all the time and likely the law has no knowledge of that.
Farm kids also learn to drive on the farm at nine or ten so what. They likely have a
first beer before city kids too so what?
This case is not about the gun and the child its about the stupidity of adults allowing
a child to handle a machine gun really dumb and deadly idea

IdRatherBeSkiing
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

First of all I don't fire a gun don't own a gun and don't want to. Now a nine year old
with a machine gun is really over the top. She should not have been allowed near it.
To suggest however that a child should not have lessons in firing a weapon of less
potential danger is not valid either. Like all things children should be taught safety.
Farm kids handle guns all the time and likely the law has no knowledge of that.
Farm kids also learn to drive on the farm at nine or ten so what. They likely have a
first beer before city kids too so what?
This case is not about the gun and the child its about the stupidity of adults allowing
a child to handle a machine gun really dumb and deadly idea

I learned gun safety and how to fire a rifle as a part of Air Cadets as a kid. I don't regret learning it but it did not ignite a passion in me for guns. I was 13 when I first fired one. A bit older than 9.

eh1eh
This is hilarious. Not ironic.

WLDB
+1
ha. Letting 9 year olds handle that kind of weapon is asking for an accident to happen.

gore0bsessed
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

Oh come on!!

First of all, accidents happen......in pools, on go carts, around playgrounds, etc etc etc.

Beside a 1911 pistol, to give you scale........not my pic, BTW.

Oh, one last thing....the rifle sits in my gun safe........

you're a deranged idiot, stupid enough to argue against a gun restriction for children under 16..

no new posts