Canada to Russia: ‘We will defend our sovereignty in the Arctic’

B00Mer
+1
Canada to Russia: ‘We will defend our sovereignty in the Arctic’

Canada is ready for a confrontation with Russia if it expands its ambitions in the Arctic region, Foreign Minister John Baird told a Danish newspaper. The oil-rich region is set to become a key political battleground in the coming decades.

“We are deeply concerned, and we are determined to promote and defend the sovereignty of Canada in the Arctic,” Baird said in an interview with the Danish publication Berlingske, published in the native language.

“For us, this is a strategic priority. In connection with the militarization that we are seeing, we would prefer to alleviate the conflict, but it's clear that we will defend our own sovereign power.”

Russia, last year unsealed a long-mothballed base on Novosibirsk Archipelago, off the north-eastern coast of the country, which has since then reinforced the area with warships and icebreakers that now constitute a coherent defense system. Moscow and Ottawa also engaged in a frosty exchange earlier this summer, after Canada scrambled its fighter jets to tail Tu-95 heavy bombers, which it said came close to its airspace.

“We have seen Russian provocations in the Arctic for decades, so there is nothing new under the sun,” said Baird, when questioned about the incidents. “We call once again upon the countries of the Arctic Council to sit down and solve problems constructively.”

Canada however already boycotted the high-ranking Moscow Arctic Council conference earlier this year, and with harsh rhetoric, a further escalation seems inevitable.

Baird’s statements echo the alarmist tone of his Prime Minister, the Conservative Stephen Harper.

“I just think we should not be complacent, because we have seen over the period that President Putin has been in power just a gradual growing in aggressiveness of his government toward neighbors and the gradual military assertiveness of that country, and I just think it’s something we should never be too at ease about,” the politician told the media last week.

Both Russia and Canada, who along with the US, Norway and Denmark constitute the five states with Polar claims, have made legal attempts to secure their rights to large swathes of the Arctic, which is thought to contain 15 percent of the oil reserves and 30 percent of all natural gas in the world. Russia submitted claims to the UN that it is connected to a large part of the region by its continental shelf as far back as 2001, while Canada used the same argument last year, following mapping studies costing more than $200 million conducted for over a decade. If approved, these would allow the countries to exploit areas that lie beyond their natural 200 mile nautical borders.

While most of the claimed territories do not overlap, there are several disputed areas, which could guarantee income not just through hydrocarbons, but also shipping lanes, with the North Pole itself among them.

The issues in the Arctic have become entangled with those in Ukraine –Canada being one of Russia’s harshest critics in the past several month – with both countries featuring heavily on each other’s sanctions lists.

Russia in the meantime aims to develop the Arctic as a region of peace and international cooperation, however is also prepared to defend its national interests.

“While Russia is planning to defend firmly its geopolitical and economic interests in the Arctic zone, we also seek to strengthen the cooperation with other member countries of the Arctic Council and to turn the Arctic region into a zone of peace, stability and cooperation,” President Putin said addressing another Arctic Forum meeting with a letter of greetings earlier in August.

source: rt.com/news/182992-canada-sov...ampaign=chrome (external - login to view)

Feeling pretty proud to be Canadian right now!!

Best move ever from Harper, take the heat off the Ukraine and focus it on Canada..

Walter
+1 / -3
Right on.

petros
+4
#3  Top Rated Post
F-ck the Bolsheviks!

B00Mer
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

F-ck the Bolsheviks!

Maybe so, but I'd miss that Beluga caviar & sturgeon, and Reyka Vodka..

petros
Dnieper pickled herring and horilka for me thanks.

B00Mer
But Stevie 007 will keep us safe..

Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Dnieper pickled herring and horilka for me thanks.

Yeah not bad, for the common taste buds.

petros
You could eat trendy gluten free, free range yogurt pizza wraps and can of Bud.

MHz
So we put the sailors into a -40C wind until stiff and send them over a 'gliders'?

Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

But Stevie 007 will keep us safe..

Yeah not bad, for the common taste buds.

You guys don't know anything 007 was Iranian.

petros
+1
Tubal Cain.

MHz
+1
(sharp intake of breath)

taxslave
+1
I'm waiting to see how the leftards are going to attempt a negetive spin on Harper defending Canadian soverignty.

Praxius
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

I'm waiting to see how the leftards are going to attempt a negetive spin on Harper defending Canadian soverignty.

Why would they?

Protection and defence of Canadian Lands should be an important thing no matter what political side you stand on.... and one would hope the Conservative supporters would do the same if it was the Liberals or NDP who were in the same position.

But we all know how politics works.

Anyways, I'm sure we'll do well at protecting ourselves against the Russians.... that rusty anchor in the photo tells all
Last edited by Praxius; Aug 27th, 2014 at 12:28 AM..

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by PraxiusView Post

Why would they?

Protection and defence of Canadian Lands should be an important thing no matter what political side you stand on.... and one would hope the Conservative supporters would do the same if it was the Liberals or NDP who were in the same position.

But we all know how politics works.

Anyways, I'm sure we'll do well at protecting ourselves against the Russians.... that rusty anchor in the photo tells all

My favorite TV program next to Arctic Air // Sea Patrol

Sea Patrol Season 1 Episode 1 - Welcome Aboard part 2 - YouTube

MHz
+1
My favorite attitude has a history.

The Rebel Johnny Yuma Theme Song II Classic - YouTube

B00Mer
Russia: We don’t want the Arctic to become arena of conflict (external - login to view)

Zipperfish
+2
"We will defend our sovereignty in the arctic"

BaalsTears
Defending Canadian sovereignty in the Arctic will be a generational process the experience of which will transform Canadian identity. Russia is only the first hostile claimant Canada will encounter. There is simply too much wealth at stake for Canada to enjoy repose. Childhood's end.

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Our subs are junk, we willnot die for a bunch of ice, fuk off I'mbusy, the ruskies can have the arctic

B00Mer
I'm not sure how much of the north is actually crown land, but why not offer it to people, so long as they build on it and live up there..

Sorta like the Great Dakota Boom where the US Government offered land grants to those who would settle there.

Praxius

Russia: We don’t want the Arctic to become arena of conflict (external - login to view)

Of course not.... the water's fk'n cold. I wouldn't want to be on a ship that was sinking from a torpedo or shell hit from another vessel.

Zipperfish
Quote: Originally Posted by PraxiusView Post

Of course not.... the water's fk'n cold. I wouldn't want to be on a ship that was sinking from a torpedo or shell hit from another vessel.

You have to remember that when it comes to Russia RT is like Bizarro World and you have to take the oppostie of what they say: "We Want Arctic to Become Arena of Conflict."

B00Mer
+2
NOT to worry, Justin Trudeau will just leave Canada's sovereignty up to the UN and bureaucrats.

God help Canada..

Justin Trudeau asked if North Pole part of Canada - YouTube

Upside, when we lose the arctic, the USA can scoop up the lower 10 provinces..

B00Mer
+1 / -1
A Justin Trudeau win is the end of Canada as we know it..

tay
Well there he was, thundering over the tundra, on the last day of his Great Photo-Op Tour of the North.

Taking part in a military exercise designed to portray him as a Great Strong Leader.

And suggesting that only a strong military, under his strong leadership, can save the people who live in the True North Strong and Free.

Even though he has been gutting the military, and we're in no better shape to enforce our sovereignty, or repel the Russians, than we were when he came to power.

And all he's doing is blowing smoke out of every orifice, and pandering.

A new report says global warming has so altered the Arctic that the Canadian Rangers – largely aboriginal reservists who patrol the North – need new equipment to navigate a vast terrain they barely recognize anymore.

“We’re still using the same equipment as the first Rangers (in 1947): canvas tents, wood stoves,” said one ranger, who noted they have to use their own sleeping bags and warm clothing.

Or for that matter, repel the Russians.

There was a renewed call for more modern rifles, a long-standing complaint as the Canadian Rangers run out of stock and parts for their .303-calibre Lee-Enfield No. 4 rifles, which were purchased at the unit’s founding in 1947 and are based on a 19th-century design.

But then of course it's all an insane farce.

It's not about them, or the other people who live there, or defending the True North Strong and Free.

It's all about re-electing Stephen Harper. By making him appear like a Great Strong Leader............

A good bolt-action hunting rifle can be had at any Canadian Tire for under $1,000. Five-thousand reservists, if my math works, gets us to $5 million. If the Canadian Rangers are worthy of photo ops with the most powerful people in the country, are they not also worthy of a decent rifle? Well, yes. They are. Sooner than 2016, please.

Get the Canadian Rangers a new rifle — sooner, not later | canada.com

Colpy
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by tayView Post

Well there he was, thundering over the tundra, on the last day of his Great Photo-Op Tour of the North.

Taking part in a military exercise designed to portray him as a Great Strong Leader.

And suggesting that only a strong military, under his strong leadership, can save the people who live in the True North Strong and Free.

Even though he has been gutting the military, and we're in no better shape to enforce our sovereignty, or repel the Russians, than we were when he came to power.

And all he's doing is blowing smoke out of every orifice, and pandering.

A new report says global warming has so altered the Arctic that the Canadian Rangers – largely aboriginal reservists who patrol the North – need new equipment to navigate a vast terrain they barely recognize anymore.

“We’re still using the same equipment as the first Rangers (in 1947): canvas tents, wood stoves,” said one ranger, who noted they have to use their own sleeping bags and warm clothing.

Or for that matter, repel the Russians.

There was a renewed call for more modern rifles, a long-standing complaint as the Canadian Rangers run out of stock and parts for their .303-calibre Lee-Enfield No. 4 rifles, which were purchased at the unit’s founding in 1947 and are based on a 19th-century design.

But then of course it's all an insane farce.

It's not about them, or the other people who live there, or defending the True North Strong and Free.

It's all about re-electing Stephen Harper. By making him appear like a Great Strong Leader............

A good bolt-action hunting rifle can be had at any Canadian Tire for under $1,000. Five-thousand reservists, if my math works, gets us to $5 million. If the Canadian Rangers are worthy of photo ops with the most powerful people in the country, are they not also worthy of a decent rifle? Well, yes. They are. Sooner than 2016, please.

Get the Canadian Rangers a new rifle — sooner, not later | canada.com

The incredibly scary thing is that as terrible as Harper's defense strategies are, any sense of resistence, or any resolve at all is completely absent from Trudeau.

It is, as always, a choice between imperfect candidates.

And Harper stands head and shoulders above the rest.

As for rifles, I believe we have thousands of brand new unissued semi auto only 7.62 NATO (.308 Winchester) FN FALs (C1s) in storage.

Why not use them?/

Oh RIGHT....because the idiot Liberals put them on the prohibited list, along with their 20 round magazines..........and the Rangers keep their weapons as personal guns.

Not that the FN is really any different than a Browning or a Remington .308 sporting semi-auto. It just LOOKS mean.

Idiots.

The world has been REALLY pissing me off lately.

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
You still here Mister, I thought the north needed your 'skill level'?

That quad pic is sooooooo fake, after crossing all the swamp they would have had to they would be kissing the 'solid ground'
Last edited by MHz; 4 weeks ago at 08:50 AM..

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

You still here Mister, I thought the north needed your 'skill level'?

geeez, I thought ISIS already recruited you MegaHurtz. Yet, you're still here.

MHz
How are they going to recruit me when you are holding the funds that you said you would give me if I went to Israel, the two weeks with Shin Bet was my suggestions as they need some upgrades done in the area of treating the Jerusalem Syndrome that affects some Gentiles in the area. (guess who, white Americans, they just need to know they act like that every place they go rather than it being persecution against anybody local, the other 13 days and 23 hours and 46 minutes will be devoted to the 'Are you fuking nits?' human rights issues. Remember that? Then we can get into Mossad's ISIS that makes the CIA's Savat in Iran look like school boys. Last vid I saw was them killing some Christian civilians, shot in the back of the head while hands cuffed behind their back and then pushed off a pier into the water. They won't like 'my neck of the woods' as I'm pretty sure the gunshot would be missing and the cuffing and being pushed into deep water ought to complete the 'needs killin' part just fine and the ammo can be saved for those who resits the cuffs. Just saying, . . . . . as the boogy man they aren't the ultimate.

I was going to seek shelter in some Christian based thread until you started to celebrate babies and mothers being wantonly murdered, about that time I thought containing you (I mean entertaining, yeah, yeah , that's it, entertain you) you so you can't get mixed in with the general public. No need to thank me, I doubt you would see it as a public service. In the reverse shrink tactic that you must be expecting that would mirror up to you being in control, well Boomer, do you feel like you are in control? (page 50 paragraph 16 How to take a toll on a troll., published Sept,1, 2015)

geeez, I thought ISIS already recruited you MegaHurtz. Yet, you're still here.

It pronounced like Prince's new name, just like it is pringed 'mhz', m-h-z, you can drag the z out a bit but too much and it starts to sound like a questioning verb. Like I'm questioning why you are still in action. Nothing to celebrate from the war zones yet. The dome hardware is up for discussion, would the launch facility be able to shoot and escape destruction from the sky? I can see why ISIS is getting their supplies via the Golan Heights rather than open desert in the back-country thay borders Iraq.

Iskander and SMERCH - Mobile Ballistic Missile Launch - YouTube

Syria to receive DEVASTATING NEW WEAPON from Russia to kill syrian FSA rebels - YouTube

I'll give Israel credit for this strike but DU rather than air/fuel I'm not sure. The shards that are glowing could be the remains of the container that was holding the 'jet-fuel' that was very finely atomized before detonation happened. Several were dropped or one had several different canisters in it. Big *** explosion for sure.

Israel Depleted Uranium Attack Hezbollah-Bound Missiles In Syrian Capital 5-2013 HD - YouTube

Last edited by MHz; 4 weeks ago at 09:11 AM..