Burger King buys Tim Hortons for $11bn

B00Mer
Burger King buys Tim Hortons for $11bn

The famous flame grilled Whopper burger is taking over a chain better known for its coffee and doughnuts in a deal that will create the world’s third largest fast-food chain with a total market capitalization of over $21 billion.

Tim Hortons and Burger King together will have more than 18,000 outlets in 100 countries, according to a statement from the companies.

The new fast-food chain will follow such global brands as McDonald's and KFC.

Burger King is currently based in Miami and will relocate its headquarters to Canada, which will help trim its tax bills. Canadian corporate tax rates are 15 percent compared to 35 percent in the USA.

3G Capital, the investment firm that owns Burger King, will have a 51 percent share in the new company. Warren Buffet’s investment group Berkshire Hathaway will front $3 billion in financing for the deal, and Burger King Worldwide Inc. will pay $59.74 ($65.50 CAN) in cash and 0.8025 common shares of the new company for each Tim Horton’s stock. Tim Hortons shares are priced at $85.79 ($94.05 CAN), a price based on Burger King’s Monday closing price.

Tim Horton’s was bought by Wendy’s International in 1995, but demerged as a separate public company in 2006.

READ MORE: Burger King in merger talks with Tim Hortons Donut chain

source: rt.com/business/182864-burger...ampaign=chrome (external - login to view)

Kreskin
+2
#2  Top Rated Post
To ease the pain they should hire Wolfgang Puck as the chief chef.

mentalfloss
Is it a full buyout?

Read somewhere that this is a merger.

Edit - Nevemind me, I see that it's 51% BK now.

B00Mer
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Is it a full buyout?

Read somewhere that this is a merger.

Edit - Nevemind me, I see that it's 51% BK now.

You mean they only bought the donut hole, not the whole donut? @ 11 Billion??

mentalfloss
Lol

Yea, these types of acquisitions usually mean the losing side still has a fair bit of autonomy, which is a good thing in this case imo.

gopher
+2
Mebbe the boycott will reduce the profits to the point where BK execs might reconsider whether they wish to pay taxes like everybody else does.

IdRatherBeSkiing
Quote: Originally Posted by gopherView Post

Mebbe the boycott will reduce the profits to the point where BK execs might reconsider whether they wish to pay taxes like everybody else does.

What boycott?

gopher
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

What boycott?

this has been all over the news:

Burger King Fans Call For Boycott Over Tax Dodge (external - login to view)

Quite a number of people are calling for it.

As for me, I don't near that choke-and-puke palace of fart causing shtt.

mentalfloss
Yea BK is pretty awful.

EagleSmack
+1

Burger King actually has fans?

IdRatherBeSkiing

They are paying taxes. Nice juicy Canadian taxes. Think of all the inquiries that will fund!

EagleSmack

They are paying taxes. Nice juicy Canadian taxes. Think of all the inquiries that will fund!

Enjoy the extra income Ski!

Tecumsehsbones
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

Enjoy the extra income Ski!

Racist.

coldstream
+2 / -1
I met Tim Horton when i was a kid (he was still a Leaf at the time).. at one of his outlets.. maybe his first one in Mississauga.. got his autograph. I think he might be turning in his grave to see this Canadian icon, that prided itself on its distinctly Canadian fare and identity, become an appendage of an American burger empire.. that has reduced its menu to that of the most formulaic and bland 'global' greasy spoon.
Last edited by coldstream; 4 weeks ago at 01:22 PM..

EagleSmack
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by coldstreamView Post

I met Tim Horton when i was a kid.. at one of his outlets.. maybe his first one in Mississauga.. got his autograph. I think he might be turning in his grave to see this Canadian icon, that prided itself on its distinctly Canadian fare and identity, become an appendage of an American burger empire.. that has reduced its menu to that of the most formulaic and bland 'global' greasy spoon.

BK it appears is soon to be a Canadian company.

B00Mer

Who give's a Fukk.. they probably need the diet.

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

If you read the article most people they actually interviewed shrugged it off. They're gonna get their Whopper!

gopher
+2 / -1

In all honesty, I dunno how anyone can eat that shtt without engaging in a puke fest.

B00Mer

In all honesty, I dunno how anyone can eat that shtt without engaging in a puke fest.

That BBQ taste, onion rings, chocolate shake.. I'm going for one right now..

IdRatherBeSkiing

I have no prob with BK, Wendies, McDs every now and again. Where do you go for your fast food?

The Old Medic
Of the major burger chains, Burger King has by far the best burgers. They FAR outstrip McDonalds, and are better than Wendy's. At least BK burgers actually taste like a real burger.

Anyone that regularly eats at any fast food place is looking for a weight problem, probable diabetes, and an early death. But, for an occasional burger, Burger King is the 2nd best that I have found.

The absolute BEST in done by In -N - Out, but they are strictly a West Coast chain, in the States.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by The Old MedicView Post

Of the major burger chains, Burger King has by far the best burgers. They FAR outstrip McDonalds, and are better than Wendy's. At least BK burgers actually taste like a real burger.

Anyone that regularly eats at any fast food place is looking for a weight problem, probable diabetes, and an early death. But, for an occasional burger, Burger King is the 2nd best that I have found.

The absolute BEST in done by In -N - Out, but they are strictly a West Coast chain, in the States.

Five Guys.

55Mercury
+2
Five Guys and a Toilet? lol

MHz
South America, next thing they will want to include coffee as part of the beverage. Amazon, along with that triple/triple I have a twisted ankle and I need to climb 10 flights of stairs 4 times today. Thanks

At least the lineup at 11PM would have a rhyme and reason in Crack Central.

JLM
Probably a good thing, now you can have a doughnut with your Whopper!

I have no prob with BK, Wendies, McDs every now and again. Where do you go for your fast food?

After Subway, A & Dub is probably the healthiest!

MHz
6 on a stick again, Meestor Man

tay
Quote: Originally Posted by coldstreamView Post

I met Tim Horton when i was a kid (he was still a Leaf at the time).. at one of his outlets.. maybe his first one in Mississauga.. got his autograph. I think he might be turning in his grave to see this Canadian icon, that prided itself on its distinctly Canadian fare and identity, become an appendage of an American burger empire.. that has reduced its menu to that of the most formulaic and bland 'global' greasy spoon.

Tims has been American owned before.........

Wendy's has grown to more than 6,000 restaurants worldwide, with a reputation for fresh, high quality food, and fast and friendly service. In 1995, Wendy's merged with Tim Hortons but Wendy's sold the stock of Tim Horton's in 2006.

Despite maintaining its operational headquarters in Oakville, the spun-off holding company, Tim Hortons Inc., was initially incorporated in Delaware (external - login to view).

On 29 June 2009, Tim Hortons Inc. announced that, pending shareholder approval, the chain's operations would be reorganized under a new publicly traded company, also named "Tim Hortons Inc.", incorporated under the Canada Business Corporations Act (external - login to view). The change was being made primarily for tax purposes

On 28 September 2009, Tim Hortons Inc. announced it had completed the reorganization of its corporate structure to become a Canadian public company.

Tim Hortons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (external - login to view)

Kreskin
+1

That BBQ taste, onion rings, chocolate shake.. I'm going for one right now..

We are proud of the burgers made this fine Canadian company.

B00Mer
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

Oh Canada, now we have a Queen and Burger King.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

My mouth is watering an hour before supper! -

no new posts