US man stages $1 bank robbery to get state healthcare

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
US man stages $1 bank robbery to get state healthcare

Unemployed and without health insurance, man in North Carolina has himself arrested in order to receive treatment.

Robber holds up bank for just one dollar - YouTube

It was not perhaps the most obvious way of getting a bad back, arthritis and a dodgy foot seen to. But if you're unemployed in North Carolina with no health insurance, there is no obvious way.

So on 9 June James Verone left his Gastonia home, took a ride to a bank and carried out a robbery. Well, sort of.

What he did was hand the clerk a note that said: "This is a bank robbery, please only give me one dollar." Then, as he later told the local NBC news station, he calmly sat in the corner of the bank having told the clerk: "I'll be sitting right over there in the chair waiting for the police."

Before his peculiarly modest robbery, Verone, 59, sent a letter to the Gaston Gazette. "When you receive this a bank robbery will have been committed by me for one dollar. I am of sound mind but not so much sound body."

He invited the paper to send a reporter to interview him in Gaston county jail, where he is now in custody facing charges of stealing from a person (for just $1 the prosecutors didn't think they could hold up a bank robbery charge).

He told the paper he had lost his job after 17 years as a Coca-Cola delivery man, and with it his health insurance. He was in increasing pain from slipped discs, arthritic joints, a gammy foot and a growth on his chest.

Since being in the jail he has attained his goal: he has been seen by nurses and an appointment with a doctor is booked.

source: US man stages $1 bank robbery to get state healthcare | World news | The Guardian

LOL this story rocks, but at the same time very sad situation... :

Hey Gopher; "Blame Obama!!!"

Just be thankful you live in Canada, where we have Socialized Health Care.. :canada:

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Yep. VA. Free. And excellent.

I don't use the VA because it's free. I can afford health care, and I have insurance. I use the VA because of the quality of care.

Well you have to admit, serve in the US military and you have health care for life in the VA. Sweet deal and great incentive to join the US military.

Obama however, is trying to wrap the VA up into ObamaCare to save money. At least that is what I heard.. Any take on this??

Former VA Official: Obamacare Puts Vets at Risk | Military.com

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Well you have to admit, serve in the US military and you have health care for life in the VA.
Yeah, but there's a price.

Obama however, is trying to wrap the VA up into ObamaCare to save money.

Former VA Official: Obamacare Puts Vets at Risk | Military.com
Yep, Obamacare sucks. I don't know how many times I have to say it before you get it through your armoured skull that I consider Obamacare the worst possible corruption of "health care."

But I'll keep trying.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Yep, Obamacare sucks. I don't know how many times I have to say it before you get it through your armoured skull that I consider Obamacare the worst possible corruption of "health care."

Well, now.. I think he sold out to Big Corporations, he should had gone all the way in the USA and had single payer like we do in Canada..

Regulating health care like car insurance, wtf?? You gotta have it, and the price just went up.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Well, now.. I think he sold out to Big Corporations, he should had gone all the way in the USA and had single payer like we do in Canada..

Regulating health care like car insurance, wtf?? You gotta have it, and the price just went up.
Nope. You still don't get it.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Probably the only guy in US custody that is refusing all calls from all Lawyers. How many homeless in America, I's seeing a big increase in 'customers' coming, all with various ailments.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Maybe from some Canadian soldiers who are not getting their disability money.

One helluva a way to say "help me".

whatever works in Big Steve's little mind.