B.C. man who went to Syria becomes the first charged with terrorism under new Canadia

B00Mer
B.C. man who went to Syria becomes the first charged with terrorism under new Canadian law

A British Columbia man accused of traveling to Syria to join an armed Islamist group was allegedly on a no-fly list but evaded counter-terrorism authorities by assuming a false identity, according to those familiar with the case.

Hasibullah Yusufzai, 25, was already known to Canadian authorities because of a previous trip he had made to Afghanistan, but he allegedly still managed to make his way to Syria by using a passport that did not belong to him.

The RCMP said Mr. Yusufzai had been charged under a new law that came into effect last year that made it a criminal offence to leave or attempt to leave Canada to engage in terrorism. He faces up to 14 years if convicted.

He is the first person charged in Canada over alleged involvement in the Syrian conflict, which has attracted dozens of radicalized Canadian extremists amid concerns they could bring their violence and militant ideology to Canada.

“This investigation underscores the reality that there are individuals leaving Canada to take part in terrorist activity,” James Malizia, the RCMP Assistant Commissioner, said in a statement. “These charges reaffirm the RCMP’s resolve to aggressively pursue terrorist acts to the fullest extent of the law.”

At the family home in Burnaby, B.C., relatives declined to speak to reporters.

The charges laid in Richmond, B.C., last Thursday accuse Mr. Yusufzai of leaving Canada on Jan. 21, 2014, for the purpose of committing murder “for the benefit of, at the direction of or in association with a terrorist group.”

Neither the charge sheet nor police indicated which terrorist group he was accused of joining, but many Western foreign fighters end up with Jabhat Al-Nusrah, the Al Qaeda affiliate in Syria that is locked in a power struggle with the Islamic State (IS).

Burnaby man is facing a rare charge accused of contributing to terrorism abroad - YouTube

Recently, Al-Nusrah fighters have been crossing over to IS, which last month declared itself the rulers of a swath of Syria and Iraq it has captured and ethically cleansed through a campaign of beheadings and forced conversions.

The Canadian Security Intelligence Service declined to comment on Mr. Yusufzai, but earlier this year the agency said about 30 Canadians had left to fight with extremist groups in Syria. They are mostly from Ontario, B.C. and Alberta.

At least five have been killed in the past year, according to death notices posted online by fellow extremists. They include former Calgarians Damian Clairmont and Salman Ashrafi, whom IS said carried out a November, 2013, suicide bombing in Iraq that killed almost 20 people.

Earlier this month, IS released a video featuring André Poulin, a troubled Timmins, Ont., youth who died in Syria last August. The 11-minute video appealed to Canadians to join the fight to impose a militant Islamist state in the region.

Canadian imams recently issued a statement warning Muslim youths against traveling abroad to fight in foreign conflicts. The RCMP, meanwhile, has been tracking “high-risk travellers” and attempting to disrupt their plans using such methods as denying them passports and placing them on the no-fly list.

source: B.C. man who went to Syria becomes the first charged with terrorism under new Canadian law | National Post

That's a good start, now they need to go after Terrorist sympathizer in Canada.. search, Facebook, YouTube and other Social Media places.

B00Mer

Hasibullah Yusufzai, who was charged Wednesday for travelling to join a terrorist group.

petros
Why are passports and CBSA lacking biometrics?

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Why are passports and CBSA lacking biometrics?

Good question, I think Canadian passports can be more secure.

Isn't the enhanced Canadian drivers license have these feature??

Canada, the USA and the UK are also starting a program, report terrorist supporters online.

...and Facebook, and other social media are removing this material fast...

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...453775&fref=pb (external - login to view)

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100006254411170 (external - login to view)

Report online terrorist material

petros
Enhanced licenses are for entry into the US only. Anywhere else you need a passport to exit and re-enter.

B00Mer

Enhanced licenses are for entry into the US only. Anywhere else you need a passport to exit and re-enter.

Yeah, the the enhanced drivers license has a RDIF in it.. before you hit the border, they know everything about you.

The US & UK have updated their passports to biometric passports.

Wonder why Canada is so far behind the times.. you sure Canada does not have a biometric passport?

Here they call it an ePassport.

Only the ePassport (Canadian Biometric Passport) is available to Canadians since 1 July 2013

Help Centre - Frequently Asked Questions - Passport Canada (external - login to view)

Biometric passport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (external - login to view)

Hey Petros, when was the last time you had a passport??

IdRatherBeSkiing
I am thinking that the guy who's passport he borrowed is probably screwed now. No doubt on a no-fly list too.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

I am thinking that the guy who's passport he borrowed is probably screwed now. No doubt on a no-fly list too.

And everybody whose name sounds kinda-sorta like his name.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

Yeah, the the enhanced drivers license has a RDIF in it.. before you hit the border, they know everything about you.
Hey Petros, when was the last time you had a passport??

SK drivers licenses are ready to as enhanced but for some reason the program is going slowly.

My passport expires in Nov.

IdRatherBeSkiing

SK drivers licenses are ready to as enhanced but for some reason the program is going slowly.

My passport expires in Nov.

I just renewed mine and will choose not to pay another fee to have it renewed again.

Praxius
+1
I got an ePassport.

I'm an International Man of Mystery..... YEEEAAH BABY, Yeah!

IdRatherBeSkiing
Quote: Originally Posted by PraxiusView Post

I got an ePassport.

I'm an International Man of Mystery..... YEEEAAH BABY, Yeah!

Well less mysterious to those who have the reader.

petros

I just renewed mine and will choose not to pay another fee to have it renewed again.

$80 is over the top. If you only use it once or twice over 5 years.

#juan
+2
#14  Top Rated Post
All we have to do now is deport the S.O.B

IdRatherBeSkiing

$80 is over the top. If you only use it once or twice over 5 years.

I use it for 4 trips a year. But old one works just fine and just renewed. Not gonna pay extra to replace.

petros

I use it for 4 trips a year. But old one works just fine and just renewed. Not gonna pay extra to replace.

I'm going the quick renew route too.

MHz
So a Canadian flies over to Syria to join the forces fighting against Assad and he is labeled a terrorist when Canada backs the removal of Assad by using those same terrorist groups. I'm beginning to understand why we are in the condition we are in. You sure he isn't there to help Assad and that is why he is labeled a terrorist?

Any plans on doing the same to the Ukrainians that would be going there to help their friends and families fight against the side we are actively funding with taxpayer dollars?
Last edited by MHz; 3 weeks ago at 01:29 PM..

B00Mer
your answer.

US and UK should back Assad to defeat ISIS - senior UK MP (external - login to view)

MHz
Russian and Assad don't need the help.
Britain 'will not work with Assad' to combat IS (external - login to view)

B00Mer
Should the U.S. Work With Assad to Fight ISIS? (external - login to view)

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

Should the U.S. Work With Assad to Fight ISIS? (external - login to view)

The US will back Lebanon to back Assad. Russia beat the US to Israeli gas but the US got Lebanon's. It's either go the expensive CNG tankers route or overland through Syria. Good thing ISIS took over the IIS pipeline route. Less competition.

damngrumpy
+1
Of course we should work with Assad, he is not a nice man but far better than
the alternative ISIS who we were going to arm. The time has come to demand
that families who know their young are joining terror groups should be deported
as sympathizers. If you join you are joining an enemy of Canada and if you are
hiding the fact family members are members of a group hostile to Canada you
are just as guilty.
We pay for foreign aid to help those fleeing the insane group and we have our
own citizens joining the insane group. In fact we should be asking very
important questions.
do you support democracy and will you be loyal to Canada?
If they support the terror groups they are not loyal and their citizenship should be
revoked and those who are not loyal deported.
Enough already

pgs
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

are just as guilty.
important questions.
If they support the terror groups they are not loyal and their citizenship should be
Enough already

You sound like a tea partier .

MHz

The US will back Lebanon to back Assad. Russia beat the US to Israeli gas but the US got Lebanon's. It's either go the expensive CNG tankers route or overland through Syria. Good thing ISIS took over the IIS pipeline route. Less competition.

Those 'rebels' are always thinking ahead, I like the part where the area they intend to conquer is the exact same size and shape as the 'greater Israel' map. Not trying to insult you but can you clatify this bit for me? "Russia beat the US to Israeli gas but the US got Lebanon's." How did the US get Lebanon's offshore gas when Israel is going to be out of the picture as owning any of the fields and the slant drilling won't work to drill into Lebanon's fields (or Gaza if they ever find a court that will listen to them)

Why would you not notice that the US has no ships and can't build enough ships to carry the gas even if they put everyone on the task.
The Ukraine want to purchase a lot a ng for the coming winter from their next door neighbor where the only task is writing a check for $3.1B and making sure it doesn't bounce.
Kiev Says Ukraine Needs 5 Bln Cubic Meters of Russian Gas for Winter | Business | RIA Novosti (external - login to view)

Why does the West never invite the ones that changes are being planned for never get an invitation to sit in on said meetings. Western trained obviously.
Arab States to Discuss Syrian Crisis Settlement on Sunday - Reports | World | RIA Novosti (external - login to view)
DUBAI, August 23 (RIA Novosti) - Top diplomats of Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Egypt, Qatar, and the United Arab Emirates will meet Sunday to discuss political settlement of the conflict in Syria (external - login to view) in the context of the increasing activity of the Islamic State (IS) militants, Sky News Arabia reported citing Egypt's foreign ministry.

petros
Quote:

In fact we should be asking very important questions

Like; "who benefits from ISIS' existence?"

MHz
+1
Nobody but the US and Israel, alone, who'd thought that would happen?

B00Mer

are just as guilty.
important questions.
Enough already

Hurrah!!! 10/10

MHz

the alternative ISIS who we were going to arm.

Like Assad would trade Russia for the West when the West was behind the civil uprising from day one. Look at how well their last intervention is going.

Libya Islamist militias 'seize Tripoli airport' (external - login to view)
Probably a big mystery to the US and Israel that nations are not begging that they come and help in the same manner they did a few years back in Libya.