College Newspaper Canít Be Called ĎThe Bulletí Anymore Because Itís Too Dangerous

Locutus

The University of Mary Washingtonís newspaper is changing its name after 96 years.

A Virginia university has decided to stop calling its newspaper ďThe BulletĒ over concerns that the name was so insensitive and inappropriate that it could even make people violent.

The University of Mary Washingtonís 96-year-old newspaper will now be called The Blue and Gray Press.

ďThe editorial board felt that the paperís name, which alludes to ammunition for an artillery weapon, propagated violence and did not honor our schoolís history in a sensitive manner,Ē newspaper staff said (external - login to view) in a release issued Monday.

ďThe board intends to remain faithful to the history our university stands upon, and we continue to honor this history both in a respectful and meaningful way.Ē

The new name refers not only to the schoolís colors, but also to the colors of the uniforms worn in the Civil War. The university is located in Fredericksburg, where two of Civil War battles were fought ó the first a decisive Confederate victory and the second a narrow and costly win for the Union.

The first edition of The Blue and Gray Press will be published on Sept. 4.

College Newspaper Can‚Äôt Be Called ‚ÄėThe Bullet‚Äô Anymore Because It‚Äôs Too Dangerous | National Review Online (external - login to view)

Grievous
+1
Big deal.

Might increase circulation since it has now itself made headlines.

Tonington
  • bullet

Kreskin
+1
Can't be all that bad. The owner of the Washington Bullets NBA team, Abe Pollin, did the same thing in 1995.

Tecumsehsbones
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

Can't be all that bad. The owner of the Washington Bullets NBA team, Abe Pollin, did the same thing in 1995.

Yeah, changed it to the Washington Wizards, famously a rank in the KKK.

Smooth move, Abe.

B00Mer
Appeasement for the anti-gun readers? dunno, but weird.

petros
+2
#7  Top Rated Post
It's the Δluminaughty

Kreskin
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Yeah, changed it to the Washington Wizards, famously a rank in the KKK.

Smooth move, Abe.

Nearly became the Washington Kemosabees.

Tecumsehsbones

Nearly became the Washington Kemosabees.

Fine by me. Kemo sabe isn't a phrase in any Indian language. White people being stupid don't bother me none.

Kreskin
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Fine by me. Kemo sabe isn't a phrase in any Indian language. White people being stupid don't bother me none.

Tonto language, and he was a fine one.

DaSleeper
+1

Tonto language, and he was a fine one.

Some here are members of the Wannabe Nation

no new posts