"Not white" cop shoots unarmed white kid in Salt Lake City

Locutus
a little something for everbody eh...paging eric holder.

Utah officer who shot Dillon Taylor was wearing a body camera

The Salt Lake City police officer who shot 20-year-old Dillon Taylor outside a convenience store last week was wearing a body camera. And that footage will be released to the public upon the completion of the investigation.

"You will see on camera ... the actions of everyone involved, including up to the point where our officer utilizes deadly force and his response thereafter," Salt Lake City Police Chief Chris Burbank told reporters during a question-and-answer session Tuesday at police headquarters.

Police have said the investigation may take several weeks, causing frustration among Taylorís supporters, who insist he was unarmed when he was shot Aug. 11 outside a 7-Eleven at 2102 S. State St.

"I want to know what theyíre hiding. Why is it that they canít tell us the truth?" Marissa Martinez, a family friend of Taylor, asked at a protest outside police headquarters Monday (external - login to view).

Burbank declined to discuss details of the camera footage ó including whether Taylor had a gun when he was killed ó because of ongoing investigations by detectives from two police forces, the district attorney, the departmentís internal-affairs unit and the civilian review board.

"It would be wholly inappropriate to take the most vital piece of physical evidence we have and put it out to the public prior to the officer having some due process," Burbank said. "That would be the same for anybody."

Burbank indicated that if Taylorís shooting is found to have been unjustified, the officer involved would be held accountable. In the past five years, the chief noted, two officers have been dismissed for using excessive force with a firearm.

The introduction of body cameras has been a cornerstone of Burbankís tenure as police chief, designed to usher in a new era of transparency for the department.

"My commitment in putting cameras on the officers, and the officers know this, is theyíre going to be exposed a little bit to public scrutiny," Burbank said. "Thatís not a bad thing because I am convinced that the majority of the time it will document outstanding police work. And it has thus far."

Burbank said that every officer who interacts with the public will be equipped with a camera within a year, and the footage recorded by the body cameras also will be used for training.

"We can now show that in training and say, ĎThis is what took place. How can we do better? What should we do differently? What are the good things that the officer did?í " Burbank said. "Thereís tremendous value in that."

Burbank drew a distinction between Taylorís shooting, in which the officer involved was not white, and the racially charged shooting of Michael Brown, the black teenager who was fatally shot by a white police officer in Ferguson, Mo., two days before Taylor was killed.
But Taylorís family, friends and supporters have drawn parallels to the Brown case, asserting that Taylor, like Brown, was unarmed when he was shot.

"It didnít make sense to me when I first heard everything, and they tried to say he had a gun," said Taylorís friend Aaron Swanenberg, who came to Mondayís protest straight from Taylorís funeral. "I knew Dillon. He never packed a gun."

Taylorís brother, Jerrail, who was outside the 7-Eleven with Taylor when he was shot at least twice, also has said his brother was not armed.

Another protest demanding justice for Taylor and Brown is planned for Wednesday at 7 p.m. outside the Wallace F. Bennett Federal Building at 125 S. State St.

During the Q&A, Burbank reiterated his opposition to a new ordinance proposed by the Salt Lake City Council (external - login to view) that would require city investigators to submit for analysis all rape kits gathered from victims after a reported sexual assault.

"Itís an undue burden on the taxpayers," Burbank said. "If someone is arrested for committing a sexual assault in this state, the law requires that their DNA be taken and entered into a database. Now why, if thatís occurring, would I [duplicate] that process and run a rape kit?"

Councilman Kyle LaMalfa has criticized the department for failing to analyze 788 of 1,001 rape kits collected between 2003 and 2011, and has said the ordinance would help to successfully prosecute more sexual assaults.

"The sense among the policymakers is that weíve waited long enough," LaMalfa said last week.

But Burbank said analyzing every rape kit would sacrifice the departmentís ability to investigate other crimes such as homicides and robberies.

more

Utah officer who shot Dillon Taylor was wearing a body camera | The Salt Lake Tribune (external - login to view)

captain morgan
+3
I'd say that a few weeks of riots and looting are in order here.

Praxius
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

Yup, time for some white folk to start sissy slapping store windows and kitty punching police cars.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

Call it the "American Spring."

SLM
+5
#5  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by PraxiusView Post

Yup, time for some white folk to start sissy slapping store windows and kitty punching police cars.

You mean, without having lost an NHL game first????

Just seems so empty that way.

Walter
Obviously the white kid was racist.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by PraxiusView Post

Way ahead of you.

HIGHLIGHTS UMD Riot After Terps Beat Duke 2013 83-81 - YouTube

What horrible injustice were they rioting about, you may ask?

They won a baseball game.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Way ahead of you.

Silly rioters. As SLM mentioned, the only thing worth rioting about is a loss of a hockey game.

EagleSmack

Way ahead of you.

That is considered a riot?

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

That is considered a riot?

Did you not see the destruction of property? And don't think this little clip is all that happened. Store windows were smashed, stuff was stolen. People were hurt.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

Silly rioters. As SLM mentioned, the only thing worth rioting about is a loss of a hockey game.

Unless of course you live in Toronto. If they rioted every time the Leafs lost a game, there would be nothing left of the city.

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

Unless of course you live in Toronto. If they rioted every time the Leafs lost a game, there would be nothing left of the city.

You say that like it would be a bad thing.

Kidding.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

You say that like it would be a bad thing.

Kidding.

I would take it if those losses were in the Stanley Cup Final. Think we are still pretty safe.

EagleSmack

Did you not see the destruction of property? And don't think this little clip is all that happened. Store windows were smashed, stuff was stolen. People were hurt.

Oh... oh ok. One would figure if you were trying to show a riot clip you'd actually find an actual riot clip. Just a suggestion.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

Oh... oh ok. One would figure if you were trying to show a riot clip you'd actually find an actual riot clip. Just a suggestion.

There were longer clips. I generally don't post them, because I know most people aren't going to watch a clip that's more'n two or three minutes.

But just to be clear, are you denying that College Park, MD has had a lot of trouble with University of Maryland students rioting after games?

no new posts