Dead At Noon -

Twila
IMO: To choose when and how you die would be marvelous. This lady is so very lucky to have had that opportunity. I hope that should I need this option it's available to me.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________
On Monday morning shortly before noon, Gillian Bennett dragged a foam mattress from her home on Bowen Island to one of her favourite spots on the grass, facing a craggy rock cliff, the place she had chosen to die.

Bennett, who was 85 and in the early stages of dementia, chose to take her own life with a draught of good whiskey, a dose of Nembutal mixed with water and her husband of 60 years by her side.

I held her hand, said Jonathan, a retired philosophy professor. His voice is reflective, resonant, measured. I agreed with her choice.

Before the shadows of dementia began to cloak her mind, Bennett created a website, Deadatnoon.com, to be made public after her death, on which she makes a passionate case for physician-assisted options for the terminally ill and elderly.
More:
www.vancouversun.com/health/D...068/story.html (external - login to view)

IdRatherBeSkiing
I would prefer late in the evening. Get a full day in.

Twila
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

I would prefer late in the evening. Get a full day in.

I'd also want to get a full day in...and maybe just go to bed and fall into eternal sleep.

but I gather with dementia you have to pick a moment where you are aware thinking clearly otherwise you're lost in your prison of mental fog.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

I'd also want to get a full day in...and maybe just go to bed and fall into eternal sleep.

but I gather with dementia you have to pick a moment where you are aware thinking clearly otherwise you're lost in your prison of mental fog.

That's my hope. If I get dementia (I'm aware there's some'd say "Whaddaya mean, IF?"), all I want is enough clarity to load up the ol' hogleg.