Dead At Noon -

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
IMO: To choose when and how you die would be marvelous. This lady is so very lucky to have had that opportunity. I hope that should I need this option it's available to me.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
On Monday morning shortly before noon, Gillian Bennett dragged a foam mattress from her home on Bowen Island to one of her favourite spots on the grass, facing a craggy rock cliff, the place she had chosen to die.

Bennett, who was 85 and in the early stages of dementia, chose to take her own life with a draught of good whiskey, a dose of Nembutal mixed with water and her husband of 60 years by her side.

“I held her hand,” said Jonathan, a retired philosophy professor. His voice is reflective, resonant, measured. “I agreed with her choice.”

Before the shadows of dementia began to cloak her mind, Bennett created a website, Deadatnoon.com, to be made public after her death, on which she makes a passionate case for physician-assisted options for the terminally ill and elderly.
More:
http://www.vancouversun.com/health/...her+than+suffer+indignity/10132068/story.html

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I would prefer late in the evening. Get a full day in.

I'd also want to get a full day in...and maybe just go to bed and fall into eternal sleep.

but I gather with dementia you have to pick a moment where you are aware thinking clearly otherwise you're lost in your prison of mental fog.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I'd also want to get a full day in...and maybe just go to bed and fall into eternal sleep.

but I gather with dementia you have to pick a moment where you are aware thinking clearly otherwise you're lost in your prison of mental fog.
That's my hope. If I get dementia (I'm aware there's some'd say "Whaddaya mean, IF?"), all I want is enough clarity to load up the ol' hogleg.