ANOTHER Suspect dead after officer-involved shooting in St. Louis near Ferguson

B00Mer
Suspect dead after officer-involved shooting in St. Louis near Ferguson

A 23-year-old African-American man was shot and killed by St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department officers midday on Tuesday, less than four miles from the protests in Ferguson. The man was brandishing a knife, witnesses said.

Two police officers in St. Louis, Missouri opened fire and fatally shot a man on Tuesday afternoon only a few miles down the road from the town of Ferguson.

Sam Dotson, the chief of police for St. Louis, told reporters on Tuesday just before 2 p.m. local time that the officers shot a suspect outside of a store after he acted ďerraticallyĒ while brandishing a knife at the cops.

According to eyewitnesses, the man told police "Shoot me" and "kill me now" before they opened fire. As he approached the cops in a "threatening manner with a knife in an overhand posture," according to Chief Dotson, both officers shot.

The suspect has been identified so far only as 23-year-old African American male.

Source: rt.com/usa/181452-st-louis-shooting-ferguson/ (external - login to view)

OUCH!! This is not good for Missouri, or the USA.

Tecumsehsbones
+1
On the facts presented, it's a "good shoot."

IdRatherBeSkiing
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

On the facts presented, it's a "good shoot."

Do we not need a riot or 2 to make sure?

lone wolf
+2
Suicide by cop?

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Suicide by cop?

Possibly. Or just crazy.

And I'd much rather they had used mace, or a Taser, or batons to take him down. But the law says an offer of deadly force justifies a deadly force response. And a knife is deadly force.

B00Mer

Possibly. Or just crazy.

And I'd much rather they had used mace, or a Taser, or batons to take him down. But the law says an offer of deadly force justifies a deadly force response. And a knife is deadly force.

But if you attack a police officer, and get his gun?? Does that constitute deadly force T-Bones??

Josie On The Dana Show 8-15-14 - YouTube

Grievous
Yeah, so if someone tries to grab your gun after he robs a store black or white....what would you do?

Give him a ticket?

tay
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

But if you attack a police officer, and get his gun?? Does that constitute deadly force T-Bones??

So if I phone a radio station, anonymously, and tell them a story about something does that make it true.......?

Grievous
What is the truth?

damngrumpy
+3
#10  Top Rated Post
Unfortunately no one really cares about the truth they are too busy winning a propaganda war
we don't want truth getting the the way of a good riot do we

petros
+1
Truth is there are 2 less jibrats in Missouri.

Tecumsehsbones
+3

Yes, it does. Where and when has that happened?

Try this one on for size, Boom. If Michael Brown "got his gun," what did Officer Wilson shoot him with?

Take your time. Think it through.

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

Unfortunately no one really cares about the truth they are too busy winning a propaganda war
we don't want truth getting the the way of a good riot do we

What about the truth of propaganda?

Grievous
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Wow!

Twila
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

What about the truth of propaganda?

the 3 sided coin, eh?

It's horrendous what is going on there.

Its horrendous that a child could be shot while on the ground 6 times. Hopefully something worthwhile for the citizens will come from this.

really? that's pretty cold and uncaring and not a truth, just an opinion.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

the 3 sided coin, eh?

Its horrendous that a child could be shot while on the ground 6 times. Hopefully something worthwhile for the citizens will come from this.

It won't. Here's the response from a cop. If you would like, I'll analyze it for you.

Iím a cop. If you donít want to get hurt, donít challenge me.

By Sunil Dutta August 19

Sunil Dutta, a professor of homeland security at Colorado Tech University, has been an officer with the Los Angeles Police Department for 17 years. The views presented here are his own and do not represent the LAPD.

A teenager is fatally shot by a police officer; the police are accused of being bloodthirsty, trigger-happy murderers; riots erupt. This, we are led to believe, is the way of things in America.

It is also a terrible calumny; cops are not murderers. No officer goes out in the field wishing to shoot anyone, armed or unarmed. And while theyíre unlikely to defend it quite as loudly during a time of national angst like this one, people who work in law enforcement know they are legally vested with the authority to detain suspects ó an authority that must sometimes be enforced. Regardless of what happened with Mike Brown, in the overwhelming majority of cases it is not the cops, but the people they stop, who can prevent detentions from turning into tragedies.

Working the street, I canít even count how many times I withstood curses, screaming tantrums, aggressive and menacing encroachments on my safety zone, and outright challenges to my authority. In the vast majority of such encounters, I was able to peacefully resolve the situation without using force. Cops deploy their training and their intuition creatively, and I wielded every trick in my arsenal, including verbal judo, humor, warnings and ostentatious displays of the lethal (and nonlethal) hardware resting in my duty belt. One time, for instance, my partner and I faced a belligerent man who had doused his car with gallons of gas and was about to create a firebomb at a busy mall filled with holiday shoppers. The potential for serious harm to the bystanders would have justified deadly force. Instead, I distracted him with a hook about his family and loved ones, and he disengaged without hurting anyone. Every day cops show similar restraint and resolve incidents that could easily end up in serious injuries or worse.

Sometimes, though, no amount of persuasion or warnings work on a belligerent person; thatís when cops have to use force, and the results can be tragic. We are still learning what transpired between Officer Darren Wilson and Brown, but in most cases itís less ambiguous ó and officers are rarely at fault. When they use force, they are defending their, or the publicís, safety.

Even though it might sound harsh and impolitic, here is the bottom line: if you donít want to get shot, tased, pepper-sprayed, struck with a baton or thrown to the ground, just do what I tell you. Donít argue with me, donít call me names, donít tell me that I canít stop you, donít say Iím a racist pig, donít threaten that youíll sue me and take away my badge. Donít scream at me that you pay my salary, and donít even think of aggressively walking towards me. Most field stops are complete in minutes. How difficult is it to cooperate for that long?

I know it is scary for people to be stopped by cops. I also understand the anger and frustration if people believe they have been stopped unjustly or without a reason. I am aware that corrupt and bully cops exist. When it comes to police misconduct, I side with the ACLU: Having worked as an internal affairs investigator, I know that some officers engage in unprofessional and arrogant behavior; sometimes they behave like criminals themselves. I also believe every cop should use a body camera to record interactions with the community at all times. Every police car should have a video recorder. (This will prevent a situation like Mike Brownís shooting, about which conflicting and self-serving statements allow people to believe what they want.) And you donít have to submit to an illegal stop or search. You can refuse consent to search your car or home if thereís no warrant (though a pat-down is still allowed if there is cause for suspicion). Always ask the officer whether you are under detention or are free to leave. Unless the officer has a legal basis to stop and search you, he or she must let you go. Finally, cops are legally prohibited from using excessive force: The moment a suspect submits and stops resisting, the officers must cease use of force.

But if you believe (or know) that the cop stopping you is violating your rights or is acting like a bully, I guarantee that the situation will not become easier if you show your anger and resentment. Worse, initiating a physical confrontation is a sure recipe for getting hurt. Police are legally permitted to use deadly force when they assess a serious threat to their or someone elseís life. Save your anger for later, and channel it appropriately. Do what the officer tells you to and it will end safely for both of you. We have a justice system in which you are presumed innocent; if a cop can do his or her job unmolested, that system can run its course. Later, you can ask for a supervisor, lodge a complaint or contact civil rights organizations if you believe your rights were violated. Feel free to sue the police! Just donít challenge a cop during a stop.

An average person cannot comprehend the risks and has no true understanding of a copís job. Hollywood and television stereotypes of the police are cartoons in which fearless super cops singlehandedly defeat dozens of thugs, shooting guns out of their hands. Real life is different. An average cop is always concerned with his or her safety and tries to control every encounter. That is how we are trained. While most citizens are courteous and law abiding, the subset of people we generally interact with everyday are not the genteel types. You donít know what is in my mind when I stop you. Did I just get a radio call of a shooting moments ago? Am I looking for a murderer or an armed fugitive? For you, this might be a ďsimpleĒ traffic stop, for me each traffic stop is a potentially dangerous encounter. Show some empathy for an officerís safety concerns. Donít make our job more difficult than it already is.

Community members deserve courtesy, respect and professionalism from their officers. Every person stopped by a cop should feel safe instead of feeling that their wellbeing is in jeopardy. Shouldnít the community members extend the same courtesy to their officers and project that the officerís safety is not threatened by their actions?

I’m a cop. If you don’t want to get hurt, don’t challenge me. - The Washington Post (external - login to view)

Twila
Think they're going to have to do what California has done. Put camera's on every police officers. There is clearly a large mistrust of police. Lets prove what they say...it's not the police, it's the citizens...It appears to worked in California.

Tecumsehsbones

Think they're going to have to do what California has done. Put camera's on every police officers. There is clearly a large mistrust of police. Lets prove what they say...it's not the police, it's the citizens...It appears to worked in California.

It's sad that it has come to that, but I agree.

darkbeaver

the 3 sided coin, eh?

I think it has to get very much worse.

The Purge of Loyal Military Officers By Barack Hussein Obama Continues (external - login to view)

B00Mer

Yes, it does. Where and when has that happened?

Try this one on for size, Boom. If Michael Brown "got his gun," what did Officer Wilson shoot him with?

Take your time. Think it through.

Taking a guess... back up gun ankle holster. Just say'in

Most officers carry one..

petros

Why should I care about jibrats when they don't even care for themselves or the people they scurry about amongst?

DaSleeper
+1
I wouldn't be surprised when they do the autopsy that they find the same **** in the toxicology results as the one in Fergusson.....

Walter

Possibly. Or just crazy.

Yeah, mace will slow him down once the knife is through the officer's eye.

Locutus
There goes my vacation plans to Missouri.

Twila

Why should I care about jibrats when they don't even care for themselves or the people they scurry about amongst?

Addiction is a horrible thing.

Here's to hoping you never suffer a "vice" and should you find yourself at the wrong end of such, that you have someone to lean on and the world does not turns it back on you.

Tecumsehsbones
+1 / -1
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

Yeah, mace will slow him down once the knife is through the officer's eye.

You forgot to give me a reddie, Walter. You're slipping.

Taking a guess... back up gun ankle holster. Just say'in

Most officers carry one..

I'd love to see your evidence, but you don't have any. You're off in pure fiction.

petros

Addiction is a horrible thing.

Here's to hoping you never suffer a "vice" and should you find yourself at the wrong end of such, that you have someone to lean on and the world does not turns it back on you.

Been there done that, grew up and went on with life.

If they chose to live a world of sh-t, it's not up to me to make them make better choices.

Tecumsehsbones
+1

You forgot to give me a reddie, Walter. You're slipping.

Much better. If stupid is all you have, go for consistency.

Locutus
+1

Much better. If stupid is all you have, go for consistency.

protip : faux whining about getting reds or requesting attention for said reds is trŤs lame...when the usual suspects like walter and el barto go on one of their tears, it builds more character to ignore them than to rant about your e-discomfort...it's akin to crying to mommy that they're 'looking at you'...at any rate, nobody cares that you or any of us got neg rep'd let alone who the culprit was.

do have a better e-day.

Tecumsehsbones

Been there done that, grew up and went on with life.

So, basically you're a jibrat?

no new posts