One in 13 female Canadian soldiers sexually assaulted, but number may be higher

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

Statistics Canada released a survey Friday indicating one in 13 female full-time members of the Canadian Forces had been sexually assaulted in connection with their service, but one expert said the numbers should be much higher.

Of the women surveyed, 7.6 per cent of women reported experiencing "sexual assault while deployed on CF operation or in CF workplace or by CF member or civilian DND employee."

However, 15.6 per cent of women surveyed reported experiencing "sexual assault or unwanted sexual touching while deployed on CF operation or in CF workplace or by CF member or civilian DND employee."

University of Ottawa Phd candidate Ashley Bickerton said while those statistics are troubling, she believes the actual numbers are far higher.

"When we speak about sexual assault in the military we need to be focussing in on one in six rather than one in 13," Bickerton told CTV News Channel on Friday. "We need to be asking more questions related to systemic sexual harassment" in the military, she said.

Bickerton said the reason why she believes it is actually much higher is because the definitions are outdated.
Bickerton said the two definitions Statistics Canada used for the survey are actually one in the same. Statistics Canada said they used those definitions because it coincided with past definitions so they would be able to make accurate comparisons.

"That's fair, but I think that things have changed in recent years," Bickerton said. "Our understanding of sexual assault has certainly been made much more contemporary. Our understanding is much more broad than it has been in the past."

Statistics Canada surveyed 6,700 full-time service members between April and August of 2013. It would not include anyone who was sexually assaulted and left the military or reserves forces. The survey was part of the greater Canadian Forces Mental Health Survey, which also looked at mental health and alcohol use.

Regardless of the numbers in this survey, Bickerton said this is a longstanding problem that needs to be addressed.

A retired judge is currently in the process of putting together an external review into sexual assault policy and procedures, training and culture in the Canadian Armed Forces. The results are expected next spring.

One in 13 female Canadian soldiers sexually assaulted, but number may be higher | CTV News

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

This is another case for Bullsh*t Man to sort out....

Last edited by a moderator:

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Warrant officer testifies accuser gave signals but not direct consent
QMI Agency
First posted: Friday, August 15, 2014 03:09 PM EDT | Updated: Friday, August 15, 2014 03:17 PM EDT
QUEBEC CITY — Warrant officer Andre Gagnon, who is accused of sexually assaulting former corporal Stephanie Raymond, told a court martial that although Raymond never gave direct consent, she was sitting on his lap and gave him the impression she "wanted to go further" with him.
Under cross-examination Friday morning, Gagnon, 48, said he was sitting on the floor when Raymond came up to him and straddled his lap.
After 15 minutes, "it seemed like there was more than a chance that she wanted to go further," Gagnon testified.
Gagnon admitted Raymond never responded to his kisses and caresses with any of her own.
"Since she didn't respond," the military prosecutor asked, "did you just feel like you were at an open bar?"
Gagnon didn't answer the question. The court martial continues Monday.
Former Corporal Stephanie Raymond and alleged victim during her testimony at the court-martial trial for sexual assault of Warrant Officer André Gagnon, Tuesday, Aug. 12, 2014 in Quebec City. (TVA NEWS/QMI AGENCY)

Warrant officer testifies accuser gave signals but not direct consent | Canada |

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
So the numbers must be wrong because somebody that spent too long in school doesn't agree with them. Not much point in doing the survey then is there?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
He's going to be tied up for years just going through the majority of the tripe you post.

And seriously, would it kill you to learn to remove the 'S' from 'https' before you post to the forum? How many times do people have to say not to do it before you'll clue in?
SLM? More like PMT.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
We're not talking about rape here. A small, unwanted touch, or an unwelcome feel are assaults as well and shouldn't be tolerated but I think the OP makes it sound worse than it is.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
We're not talking about rape here. A small, unwanted touch, or an unwelcome feel are assaults as well and shouldn't be tolerated but I think the OP makes it sound worse than it is.

Well Stats Can also recently made a tiny error where their numbers were off by about 41,800, so maybe being a little skeptical about hard numbers is not a bad idea, lol.

Having said that though, I think what it really boils down to is an underlying 'culture' and I don't say that to disparage the military at all or to suggest that all or even most service men bear this kind of attitude. All I'm saying is that the prevalence of this is not unheard of during the transition from a traditionally all male force to a more combined male/female force. While it certainly hasn't disappeared altogether, I'd say the highest instances of charges for sexual harassment in the corporate world were in the 80s and 90s when women were first starting to see advancement in that area. It's not unexpected (doesn't make it right of course, just not unexpected) and I wouldn't be surprised to see more reports like this in the future as well.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Can a mod please explain to this tool about removing the 's' before posting a YouTube? Please?
Naah! the next thread he starts, the first person to post in it post any video with an https... we'll call it a thread killer...............

This one should do fine

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Yeah. That'll persuade me.

Look bud, if you can't post these idiot videos like the rest of us, we'll simply stop editing your irritating thread-breaking youtube posts, and just ban you for awhile. No sweat off my arse. I'm tired of cleaning up this sh!t anyway. So try and play nice or out you go.

I'm not trying to 'persuade' you. Just giving you the low down.