Canadian ISIS member killed in Iraq

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Farah Mohamed Shirdon of Calgary, fighting for ISIS, dead in Iraq

Multiple social media reports in Iraq say that a young Calgary man who appeared in an ISIS video four months ago has been killed in Iraq.

Farah Mohamed Shirdon, a Calgarian fighting overseas with the militant group Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, was seen in the video burning his Canadian passport and threatening to destroy Iraq's oppressors.

The Department of Foreign Affairs says it is aware of reports that a Canadian was killed in Iraq and is following the situation closely.

A man claiming to be Shirdon's brother has been tweeting online — asking jihadi contacts for information on how Shirdon died.

Shirdon, who had been enrolled in the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology until at least 2012, came from a prominent and well-educated Somali family.

His father’s brother, Abdi Farah Shirdon, was a former prime minister of Somalia who has survived numerous attempts on his life by al-Shabab militants fighting for an Islamic state in Somalia under the banner of al-Qaeda.

Shirdon’s mother and sister currently live in Calgary and are deeply involved in the religious life of their community.

Attempts by CBC News to reach Shirdon's family have so far been unsuccessful.

Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird told reporters following a news conference in London, Ont., he was aware of the reports but could not speak to the specific facts of the case.

"It's a sad reality that, from time to time, a small number of Canadians — radicalized — participate in these type of activities," Baird added.

The Department of Foreign Affairs is advising Canadians "against all non-essential travel to Iraq due to the dangerous and unpredictable security situation.”

Source :: Farah Mohamed Shirdon of Calgary, fighting for ISIS, dead in Iraq, reports say - Politics - CBC News

As much as I think this guy got what he deserved, I really do feel bad for his parents.. that has to be hard for any parent to lose their child.

Wonder who took him out??

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
I continue to be amazed at reports of this kind as we have seen similar ones in Minnesota. These youths come from families which have escaped sectarian violence in their homelands, yet, for some inexplicable reason, they choose to join with religious fanatics in these violent campaigns. What on earth can possibly be their motivation??

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Canadians volunteered to fight in the US army in Vietnam. Just as perplexing. Why anybody wants to fight in a war is a mystery to me, unless they are suicidal.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
It's likely that there are Canadian passport holders who will return to Canada after fighting for the Caliphate. I suspect they will probably have difficulty integrating into Canadian society. What could go wrong?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
It's likely that there are Canadian passport holders who will return to Canada after fighting for the Caliphate. I suspect they will probably have difficulty integrating into Canadian society. What could go wrong?
Most Canadian Vietnam vets did not reintegrate very well either. Many are anti-government radicals. Go figure.