Burlington Skyway crash results in DUI and gridlock.

WHAT AN IDIOT! Now the rest of the story...

A 34-year-old Brampton man has been charged with impaired driving in connection with a dump truck crash that shut down the Toronto-bound lanes of the Burlington Skyway Bridge during rush-hour Thursday.
SKYWAY CLOSURE: Getting you to work on Friday (external - login to view)

A former transportation ministry official says motorists should expect the bridge to remain closed for "several days" because of the crash.

Will MacKenzie, who retired from the ministry in 2011 after nearly 20 years, says structural engineers will require time to declare the Toronto-bound bridge lanes ready for traffic again.

"On a steel bridge like this one, they've got to get up there, climb up, take a look around, all very carefully," he said Thursday night. "There's a lot of work that has to be done and they've got to go and do all their calculations and run it through computers."
The red dump truck, with its box open, struck the overhead truss of the Skyway at about 3:40 p.m. Thursday, causing what OPP Sergeant Kerry Schmidt described as "significant damage" to the bridge structure and taking down wood scaffolding that is part of three-year rehabilitation project.

Read more (external - login to view)

lone wolf
How can you not know the box is up?
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

How can you not know the box is up?

He was drunk. He may have hit an internal lever while reaching for his drink.
maybe thought he was hitting the "eject" lever.

Pretty much did I guess.
If he was that loaded that he obviously raised the box somehow it's a good thing he did or he likely would have plowed into someone's car at some point as the traffic downhill from that bridge always comes to pretty much a stop as people decide what lanes they should be in.....
El Barto
#6  Top Rated Post
That was not Smart , but the truck beside it is
I did not know that an impaired test must be taken within 3 hours to be valid, even if you are in Police custody all of that time........

Judge Fred Campling threw out an impaired driving charge and a charge of driving with a blood alcohol level over 80 mg, leaving the 36-year-old with five remaining charges: dangerous driving and four counts of mischief endangering life.

Rai has pleaded not guilty to the remaining charges.

Earlier in the trial, a breath test analyst testified the test was taken five hours after the collision.

On Monday, Campling said OPP officers demanded a breath test from Rai too long after he was sitting in the driver's seat. Campling said this demand was a breach of Rai's protections under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Breath tests must be made within three hours of the accused being behind the wheel, as outlined in the Criminal Code.

The Crown had argued the unique circumstances and chaos created by the crash were enough to warrant an exception to the time limit.

With the breath test results no longer being accepted as evidence, the court heard there was no reasonable prospect of conviction on the impaired charges, leading Campling to acquit on the two charges.



Similar Threads

Waterloo or Burlington???
by KovalKK | Sep 23rd, 2010
$1.5B for anti-gridlock plan
by Avro | Mar 6th, 2007
Burlington Santa Claus Parade
by GreenGreta | Nov 15th, 2006
no new posts