Mountie who witnessed bus beheading dies by suicide

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
After a long struggle with post-traumatic stress disorder, a Mountie who witnessed the beheading of a Greyhound bus passenger has taken his own life.

A family member has confirmed that recently-retired RCMP corporal Ken Barker died by suicide last weekend. A total of 13 Canadian first responders have taken their own lives over the past 10 weeks.

For first-responders, PTSD is all too common. Those burdened with confronting horrific crime scenes and accidents often suffer psychologically. For people like Andy Cunningham, that suffering is largely done in silence.

"I was afraid that people would think I'm weak," said the firefighter.

At first, Cunningham didn’t want to tell his supervisors. But after 22 years on the job, the trauma became too much.

"I started seeing all the bad calls that I had ever run,” he said. “Dead bodies, parts of people, horrific accidents," said Andy Cunningham.

Vince Savoia, a former paramedic and founder of the Tema Conter Memorial Trust, said Cunningham isn’t alone in being afraid to speak up.

"When they finally do come up and ask for help, they are harassed, they are ridiculed, they are isolated, they are ignored," said Savoia.

With nowhere to turn for help, some turn to suicide. Ottawa's fire chief is calling the situation a national epidemic.

"The leadership has to step up, people look to the leaders of organizations to say it is OK to talk about mental health issues," said John de Hooge.

An estimated 24 per cent of first-responders suffer from PTSD. And though the government says they’re receiving care, Savoia still thinks the problem is being ignored.

"If they do acknowledge it, it is an admission that somewhere along the way they have failed," he said.

Mountie who witnessed Greyhound bus beheading dies by suicide | CTV News

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
that is tragic, they see more bloodshed and the results of violence than many soldiers do, yet they don't get support

I find it disturbing that other first responders would mock and ridicule those struggling the PTSD...what kind of first responders are they that have no understanding of the workings of the mind or compassion for fellow team family?

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I find it disturbing that other first responders would mock and ridicule those struggling the PTSD...what kind of first responders are they that have no understanding of the workings of the mind or compassion for fellow team family?

Clearly this is a job that should require manditory counselling for ALL employees regularily. Maybe it if were manditory for ALL then those who feel they need to belittle others can be talk about this need to belittle. Those who are afraid to seek it out themselves will be relieved of that fear. Those who think they can handle it will know they don't have to. We know what witnessing atrocities, violence, and death does to people who see it as a one off incident, so we should know what it will do to those who are our first line of domestic defense.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Unfortunate, but not too surprising. Just seeing a video of something like this disturbed me for months. Seeing it happen in person must be a hell of a lot more disturbing to see and live with. Its also disturbing that this person in the position he was in did not have the resources he needed to deal with this. 13 suicides in 10 weeks? If this problem is being dealt with as they claim it is, they are doing a really sh*tty job.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Clearly this is a job that should require manditory counselling for ALL employees regularily.
You don't have that? Damn. Most large police, fire, and emergency medical departments down hereabouts in South Canada have mandatory counselling annually and after any traumatic event.

Weird. Normally we think of Canadian health care as superior. Seems like this is one area y'all need to do some catching up.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I pictured the front end of a bus being chopped off. add hydraulic fluidsnsqueeking over the road

You don't have that? Damn. Most large police, fire, and emergency medical departments down hereabouts in South Canada have mandatory counselling annually and after any traumatic event.

Weird. Normally we think of Canadian health care as superior. Seems like this is one area y'all need to do some catching up.

Ya we,ll look into it, some sort of inquierey I suppose, the crown should be involved, I gfuess, fournicate offf

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Firstly WTF was this mountie doing while the dude was beheading somebody? If he just sat and watched it is probably a good thing he is no longer a cop. That leads me to believe he wasn't suffering from PTSD but an overall feeling of inadequacy and responsibility for the person having their head chopped off and he would be right. Hate me all ya want for saying it but the cop was a coward for not jumping in.

Second, I don't think we need mandatory counselling, we need mandatory psych testing before they get hired to see if they can handle the job. No pass the test....no job for you. Simple as that.

Last, they should all receive training in identifying PTSD and other dissociative disorders commonly attributed to major stress or trauma. Then they can get rid of the person before they lose it completely....with psych care as long as they don't slam the door on their way out.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

Our mental healthcare in particular is s*it.

Firstly WTF was this mountie doing while the dude was beheading somebody? If he just sat and watched it is probably a good thing he is no longer a cop. That leads me to believe he wasn't suffering from PTSD but an overall feeling of inadequacy and responsibility for the person having their head chopped off and he would be right. Hate me all ya want for saying it but the cop was a coward for not jumping in.

The beheading itself was done by the time he was on the scene. Hell even if he had been on the bus he probably wouldn't have been able to stop it. Even the people who were there didn't know it was happening til it was almost over. Their reactions were to get off the bus as fast as possible. In the end someone does have to go in there to arrest the guy and clean up the mess in there which is probably a difficult thing to do if you have any emotions at all. Perhaps you should have read the story.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Unfortunately I think there is a fundamental switch in peoples minds
News people who covered Vietnam or D Day and Stalingrad they
didn't suffer the same thing and they were in many cases front line
with the troops or behind the lines
Soldiers from WWII were overseas for longer periods and they didn't
suffer the same that we know of. That we know of might be the key.
maybe they did suffer the same but coped much better. If that is the
case, and this is only a question, How or what are we missing in training
preparing these people for such horrific scenes.
Something has changed and we have to find out what that something is.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Our mental healthcare in particular is s*it.

The beheading itself was done by the time he was on the scene. Hell even if he had been on the bus he probably wouldn't have been able to stop it. Even the people who were there didn't know it was happening til it was almost over. Their reactions were to get off the bus as fast as possible. In the end someone does have to go in there to arrest the guy and clean up the mess in there which is probably a difficult thing to do if you have any emotions at all. Perhaps you should have read the story.

The story is quite old. I didn't think I remembered a cop on board but who cares. We are a nation of pu$$ies. The only time the cops are actually tough is when there are 6 or more on an unarmed person and even then they need tasers and batons.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
that is tragic, they see more bloodshed and the results of violence than many soldiers do, yet they don't get support

They see more violence and bloodshed that many Canadian soldiers too.

This guy would be no good as a soldier if he kills himself after seeing someone get decapitated.