Good Samaritans Take Down Carjacker

Locutus
+1

A group of San Diego men came to the aid of a mother and daughter during an attempted carjacking.

Fox and Friends showed video of the Good Samaritans wrestling down and restraining the suspect, who attempted to steal the vehicle with the mother and her daughter still inside.
Fox5 San Diego reported (external - login to view):
A woman and her child were sitting in a van in front of Appletree Market on University Avenue Sunday, when 21-year-old Ismael Hernandez allegedly got into the driver seat and drove off before hitting a pole, a witness told Fox5.

The video shows men dragging the suspect out of the van and forcing him to the ground by the neck. Other men punched and kicked him, while another stomped on his hand. They kept him on the ground until police arrived.

[…]

Hernandez was booked into San Diego Central Jail on charges of attempted carjacking, attempted kidnapping and attempted auto theft.

The mother and child were checked out by paramedics, but were not seriously hurt.

California Men Help Mother and Daughter During Carjacking | Fox News Insider (external - login to view)

Twila
+3
#2  Top Rated Post
I love stories like these. People complain that crime is out of hand. Yet, as they walk the street with their head down, trying to not notice or be noticed, this is the perfect environment for crime.

In our townhouse complex, between 2 sets of homes there is a small green space. An attempted rape took place here a couple of years ago at about 11:00pm. Between the 2 homes, which each contained a kitchen window facing the space (and each other) a completely naked man and partially naked screaming woman were not interupted by occupants of either house, nor the 3 houses across the lane.

They were interuppted by my then, 19 year old daughter and her 19 year old boyfriend. The bf pulled the man off the woman and a fist fight ensued. My daughter ran to the house beside and banged on the door for help. Door opens, man sees young girl frightened and slams the door without listening. My daughter then runs to the other door (while bf is wrestling with a desperate naked man) No answer.

The naked man ran off, bf removed his phone from his jacket pocket and calls 911. My daughter sat with the young woman through the wait for police, through the questioning by police and stayed with her until she was taken by ambulance to the hospital. This poor victim was cut, bloodied, and bruised from the punches this much larger man gave her. My daughter and her bf were given an award at the RCMP aware ceremony for their actions that night.

I have not forgiven the neighbours who did not call 911, who slammed the door in my daughters face and who were to pre-occupied with not being noticed to help a young woman who was being raped beside their home. I hope they are never in need of a good samaritan who is too busy, to pre-occupied to help.

IdRatherBeSkiing
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

I love stories like these. People complain that crime is out of hand. Yet, as they walk the street with their head down, trying to not notice or be noticed, this is the perfect environment for crime.
In our townhouse complex, between 2 sets of homes there is a small green space. An attempted rape took place here a couple of years ago at about 11:00pm. Between the 2 homes, which each contained a kitchen window facing the space (and each other) a completely naked man and partially naked screaming woman were not interupted by occupants of either house, nor the 3 houses across the lane.
They were interuppted by my then, 19 year old daughter and her 19 year old boyfriend. The bf pulled the man off the woman and a fist fight ensued. My daughter ran to the house beside and banged on the door for help. Door opens, man sees young girl frightened and slams the door without listening. My daughter then runs to the other door (while bf is wrestling with a desperate naked man) No answer.
The naked man ran off, bf removed his phone from his jacket pocket and calls 911. My daughter sat with the young woman through the wait for police, through the questioning by police and stayed with her until she was taken by ambulance to the hospital. This poor victim was cut, bloodied, and bruised from the punches this much larger man gave her. My daughter and her bf were given an award at the RCMP aware ceremony for their actions that night....

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
Kudos to your daughter and their BF. Hindsight is 20/20 but 911 should be the first course of action rather than depending on anybody helping. But heat of the moment, they did good.

Twila
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

Kudos to your daughter and their BF. Hindsight is 20/20 but 911 should be the first course of action rather than depending on anybody helping. But heat of the moment, they did good.

I was so proud of them. My daughter is an amazing person. I think in the heat of the moment the first reaction by a compassionate 19 year old male is to rip the rapist to shreds. They should have dialled 911 while running to help, but sometimes instinct trumps reason.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1

I was so proud of them. My daughter is an amazing person. I think in the heat of the moment the first reaction by a compassionate 19 year old male is to rip the rapist to shreds. They should have dialled 911 while running to help, but sometimes instinct trumps reason.

Yes. I didn't mean to imply anything different. Just one thing I thought of sitting safely at my computer. Tried to find the wording that did not sound like I was saying 'they shoulda done this' but evidently I failed.

Again kudos.

Twila
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

Yes. I didn't mean to imply anything different. Just one thing I thought of sitting safely at my computer. Tried to find the wording that did not sound like I was saying 'they shoulda done this' but evidently I failed.

Again kudos.

You didn't imply anything different. I understood. I hadn't meant to imply that you had implied.

I assume people mean the best until it becomes obvious they don't. You are always level headed and I think, have a good heart so, no worries?

DaSleeper
+1
BTW.... Did your daughter keep that boyfriend?...he sounds like a keeper.

Twila
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

BTW.... Did your daughter keep that boyfriend?...he sounds like a keeper.

No, they broke up. She has herself another man who is, I believe, an even better example of what it should mean to be human. So, far so good, she hasn't picked any dudds. lol

Tecumsehsbones
+1
Good Samaritaning can be a chancy thing. I recollect a time I shot the neighbour lady's yappy little dog. Everybody around complained all the time bout how she'd walk it at 10:30 at night and yap-yap-yap-yap-yap. But when I actually did something about it, did I get any support? Nope.

Twila
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Good Samaritaning can be a chancy thing. I recollect a time I shot the neighbour lady's yappy little dog. Everybody around complained all the time bout how she'd walk it at 10:30 at night and yap-yap-yap-yap-yap. But when I actually did something about it, did I get any support? Nope.

lol...Reminds me of when our neighbour's little dog chased my sister into our house trying to bite her. This prompted my dad to grab his handgun and go into the neighbours house after the dog. He found the dog and owner hiding behind the couch. Only the owner survived that day.

shadowshiv

The naked man ran off, bf removed his phone from his jacket pocket and calls 911. My daughter sat with the young woman through the wait for police, through the questioning by police and stayed with her until she was taken by ambulance to the hospital. This poor victim was cut, bloodied, and bruised from the punches this much larger man gave her. My daughter and her bf were given an award at the RCMP aware ceremony for their actions that...

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
They should have given the neighbours awards as well. Ones shaped like a piece of crap, and perhaps even scented. I'm not saying that they should have jumped on the guy, but not slam a door in a frightened girl's face or to ignore something that is so obviously wrong.

Kudos to your daughter and her ex-boyfriend for helping that woman that night. Who knows? They could have saved her life by intervening like they did.

lol...Reminds me of when our neighbour's little dog chased my sister into our house trying to bite her. This prompted my dad to grab his handgun and go into the neighbours house after the dog. He found the dog and owner hiding behind the couch. Only the owner survived that day.

A little tongue in cheek, I hope?

Twila
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshivView Post

A little tongue in cheek, I hope?

uhm, no. Apparently, this little dog was allowed free reign on the street and had bitten a child already. By free reign, I mean it was not kept in it's yard. So when my sister was chased into our house by this little dog, my dad figured enough was enough. My dad was an albertan redneck and a hunter.