Relatively new building demolished.................WHY?

JLM
Sir John Carling building demolition carried out - Ottawa - CBC News

Seems like an utter waste to me. Couldn't this building have been converted to housing for the homeless or a long term care centre for ailing seniors. W.T.F. is it in Ottawa that is delegated to making these hare brained decisions? Someone who gets his "jollies" watching buildings implode?

petros
Asbestos.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Asbestos.

Is that a reason to destroy the whole building? Asbestos is harmless unless you saw into it or drill it. It's the dust that is detrimental.

petros
Yup. It's reason enough. Agriculture Canada is being pieced off. The land it sits on is probably worth more than the building.

Sal
+3
#5  Top Rated Post
yeah I know people who have bought a perfectly good home because it was situated on land they wanted, it was about location, then they ripped the house down and started again

it's not super common but it happens often enough...it's easier than adding to in many cases

IdRatherBeSkiing
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Is that a reason to destroy the whole building? Asbestos is harmless unless you saw into it or drill it. It's the dust that is detrimental.

I am sure it is harmless if imploded.

Walter

Asbestos.

They would not be given permission to implode if asbestos was still in the building.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

They would not be given permission to implode if asbestos was still in the building.

Asbestos is why it was closed. It was mostly removed (all but 0.5%) then blown to bits.

Walter

Asbestos is why it was closed. It was mostly removed (all but 0.5%) then blown to bits.

taxslave
+1
Never known the government to miss an opportunity to squander money.
That being said it is often cheaper to knock down an old building and start over rather than try to upgrade. Especially so if there is earthquake proofing to be done.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

yeah I know people who have bought a perfectly good home because it was situated on land they wanted, it was about location, then they ripped the house down and started again

it's not super common but it happens often enough...it's easier than adding to in many cases

Happens in the D.C. suburbs all the time. Back when land was cheaper, people'd buy a half-acre plot and put a cheesy little ranch house on it. Now that the average price of suburban land is about what it would cost to cover any given plot in gold three inches thick, rich folk are buying the land, razing the crappy little rancher, and putting up homes that are anywhere from elegant to garish.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

Read up on it bub.

Walter

Read up on it bub.

Have.

petros
+2
The abandoned Sir John Carling Building at*the Experimental Farm is to be demolished Sunday in a controlled explosion.

The former headquarters of Agriculture Canada was vacated several years ago over asbestos and other concerns. A $4.8-million demolition project began last year after Public Works officials balked at the estimated $57- million cost to renovate.

At 7 a.m. Sunday, the 11-storey building at 930 Carling Ave. will be imploded with high explosives and is expected to drop into its own footprint.

Sightseers will be kept more than 1,000 feet away to prevent any potential injuries from flying debris. Roads in the area will be closed by police.

Walter
This paragraph is from the following link(emphasis mine).

People are invited to watch but no closer than a 300-meter radius for safety reasons. The asbestos, by the way, has all been removed from the building. The site will be deconstructed and landscaped. The total cost to the public is nearly $5 million dollars.

Read more: Sunday's 'big blast' to bring down Sir John Carling Building | CTV Ottawa News
Sunday's 'big blast' to bring down Sir John Carling Building | CTV Ottawa News

petros
Now it is asbestos? Keep reading. You'll find the percentage that was remaining too.

IdRatherBeSkiing
If its such a recent building (as OP title suggests) why did it have asbestos?

#juan
+2

Sir John Carling building demolition carried out - Ottawa - CBC News

Seems like an utter waste to me. Couldn't this building have been converted to housing for the homeless or a long term care centre for ailing seniors. W.T.F. is it in Ottawa that is delegated to making these hare brained decisions? Someone who gets his "jollies" watching buildings implode?

Just a small thing: At some point an investor paid good money to build the original building. In time the land is worth more than the building so the investor plows the building down and invests in a newer, larger, building. Turning a building into charity housing gives no return on investment. If you want people to invest, there has to be a worthwhile return on investment. Otherwise what is the point?

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

It's not new. AgCan moved in in 1967.

taxslave
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

Asbestos was common at that time. Was the building new when Ag Can moved in?

petros
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Asbestos was common at that time. Was the building new when Ag Can moved in?

Yup. New in 67

taxslave
Meaning it would have had asbestos everywhere, although that is not really an expensive problem. The real expense still is in bringing an old structure up to modern building rules.
I know of a few firehalls and schools that were quake proofed at a cost in the ball park of a new structure , leaving the owners with an expensive old building.

JLM
From what I've been told if asbestos is just left alone there isn't a problem, I've also been told there are two types of asbestos, one potentially harmful, one not. Can someone confirm this?

petros
Serpentine is the deadly sh-t. If it isn't friable it's relatively safe.

Sal
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Happens in the D.C. suburbs all the time. Back when land was cheaper, people'd buy a half-acre plot and put a cheesy little ranch house on it. Now that the average price of suburban land is about what it would cost to cover any given plot in gold three inches thick, rich folk are buying the land, razing the crappy little rancher, and putting up homes that are anywhere from elegant to garish.

yes, that is common here on the river or bordering one of the golf courses...little homes from an era when they built small homes...they smash them down and put up a luxury home...so you pay maybe 400,000.00 for the land with a small home and then put up a larger home worth much, much more...

JLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

yes, that is common here on the river or bordering one of the golf courses...little homes from an era when they built small homes...they smash them down and put up a luxury home...so you pay maybe 400,000.00 for the land with a small home and then put up a larger home worth much, much more...

Yeah, I can see that, and you can benefit even more if you are carefully dismantling the old house, especially the old dimensional lumber and all the hardware. (I sure hope they removed all the fixtures before imploding the building)

petros
+1

Yeah, I can see that, and you can benefit even more if you are carefully dismantling the old house, especially the old dimensional lumber and all the hardware. (I sure hope they removed all the fixtures before imploding the building)

Yeah some guy bought all the contents and was in the midst of scrapping the wiring, plumbing and heating in the building but got locked out after his crew disturbed asbestos pulling the copper

When it comes to old houses there is no money in trying to recover structural lumber.

JLM

Yeah some guy bought all the contents and was in the midst of scrapping the wiring, plumbing and heating in the building but got locked out after his crew disturbed asbestos pulling the copper

When it comes to old houses there is no money in trying to recover structural lumber

If it's still sound it should save a few trees (which I believe is the modern endeavour) -

Sal
+1

there's always money to be made if one can be bothered

taxslave
+1

If it's still sound it should save a few trees (which I believe is the modern endeavour) -

Good luck getting it approved by the building inspector.

no new posts