Pope Francis: 'About 2%' of Catholic clergy paedophiles

Locutus
Pope Francis has been quoted as saying that reliable data indicates that "about 2%" of clergy in the Catholic Church are paedophiles.

The Pope said that abuse of children was like "leprosy" infecting the Church, according to the Italian La Repubblica newspaper.

He vowed to "confront it with the severity it demands".

But a Vatican spokesman said the quotes in the newspaper did not correspond to Pope Francis's exact words.

The BBC's David Willey in Rome says there is often a studied ambiguity in Pope Francis' off-the-cuff statements.

He wants to show a more compassionate attitude towards Church teaching than his predecessors, but this can sometimes cause consternation among his media advisers, our correspondent adds.

more

BBC News - Pope Francis: 'About 2%' of Catholic clergy paedophiles (external - login to view)

POPE INTERVIEW CONTROVERSY... (external - login to view)

1 in 50 clergy are pedophiles... (external - login to view)

Promises 'solutions' to priestly celibacy... (external - login to view)

Vatican says misquoted... (external - login to view)

petros
What is the going rate for the general population? Higher or lower?

DaSleeper
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

What is a pedophile?
It's an adult with a sexual preference for prepubescent children (typically 13 or under) of either sex, though some prefer one gender. The term can be used to describe anyone who fantasizes about, is sexually aroused by, or experiences urges toward children, whether or not they act on them. Most psychologists believe that people with pedophilia will eventually act on it in some way — by exposing themselves to, spying on, or sexually touching children. About 4 percent of the population is believed to have pedophilic urges. Psychologists now categorize it as a sexual orientation much like heterosexuality and homosexuality, in the sense that the sexual attraction to children appears to be involuntary and remains stable over time. Pedophilia is also treated as a disorder, of course, because pedophiles who act on their urges cause grievous harm to young children, leaving them with emotional scars that can last for decades

Pedophilia: A guide to the disorder - The Week (external - login to view)

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

You are assuming the pope has an accurate statistical basing of his flock and not a number out of a hat guess.

captain morgan
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

You are assuming the pope has an accurate statistical basing of his flock and not a number out of a hat guess.

The question posed by Petros is still valid

petros
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

What is a pedophile?
It's an adult with a sexual preference for prepubescent children (typically 13 or under) of either sex, though some prefer one gender. The term can be used to describe anyone who fantasizes about, is sexually aroused by, or experiences urges toward children, whether or not they act on them. Most psychologists believe that people with pedophilia will eventually act on it in some way — by exposing themselves to, spying on, or sexually touching children. About 4 percent of the population is believed to have pedophilic urges. Psychologists now categorize it as a sexual orientation much like heterosexuality and homosexuality, in the sense that the sexual attraction to children appears to be involuntary and remains stable over time. Pedophilia is also treated as a disorder, of course, because pedophiles who act on their urges cause grievous harm to young children, leaving them with emotional scars that can last for decades

Pedophilia: A guide to the disorder - The Week (external - login to view)

That means your kids are twice as safe at Church. WTG RCC.

IdRatherBeSkiing
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

The question posed by Petros is still valid

Yes. But you would have to know the true % inside the catholic church to make the comparison.

But I see no reason to assume the percentage would be higher or lower in the church (aside from a couple paedophiles turning to priesthood as a way to subvert the urges).

petros
+1
Being Catholic doesn't make for anything extra by default as assumed either.

The Old Medic
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

Pope Francis has been quoted as saying that reliable data indicates that "about 2%" of clergy in the Catholic Church are paedophiles.

1 in 50 clergy are pedophiles... (external - login to view)

Promises 'solutions' to priestly celibacy... (external - login to view)

Vatican says misquoted... (external - login to view)

Read the actual links that you posted. It CLEARLY states that it was aides to the Pope that said 2% of clergy were pedophiles. Aides are NOT the Pope.

I just LOVE the way "journalists" will twist anything to suit their purposes.

captain morgan
+2

Yes. But you would have to know the true % inside the catholic church to make the comparison.

But I see no reason to assume the percentage would be higher or lower in the church (aside from a couple paedophiles turning to priesthood as a way to subvert the urges).

You are questioning if the #'s are accurate even before the issue goes anywhere. Ultimately, how would one even go about getting accurate numbers on the RCs, all other faith based ideologies, the public at large, teacher populations, etc... It's not like you can conduct a survey and expect accurate results from voluntary participation

Regardless, that does not change the question, or the stats, for the public at large.

The Old Medic
Quote: Originally Posted by The Old MedicView Post

Read the actual links that you posted. It CLEARLY states that it was aides to the Pope that said 2% of clergy were pedophiles. Aides are NOT the Pope.

I just LOVE the way "journalists" will twist anything to suit their purposes.

The studies indicate that approximately 4% of the general population are pedophiles. By the way, women can be, and some are, also pedophiles. Then there are those that frankly don't give a damn about the age, all they want is sexual pleasure. They don't care, man or woman, girl or boy, machine, animal, whatever makes them feel good right now.

Unfortunately, my mother was one of the latter!

gopher
+1
If true that the percentage of Catholic clergy is lower in this regard than the general public, one must still keep in mind that the clergy are enjoined by their vows from engaging in these reprehensible acts. Furthermore, they are largely (or were largely) free from prosecution for doing so. This made their victims more vulnerable and that is why there had been so many repeat offenses against vulnerable youth over many years.

WLDB
+1
2% is pretty high considering how big the Catholic Church is. Hopefully he will keep his word on dealing with the problem "with the severity it demands." Simply saying that is an improvement over his predecessor.

Regardless, that does not change the question, or the stats, for the public at large.

That is an interesting question Id like to know the answer to as well. That could be very difficult to figure out as it likely varies from place to place or country to country. Figuring out if this 2% is accurate would likely be difficult to figure out for the same reason. The Church is in almost every country in one form or another.

IdRatherBeSkiing

You are questioning if the #'s are accurate even before the issue goes anywhere. Ultimately, how would one even go about getting accurate numbers on the RCs, all other faith based ideologies, the public at large, teacher populations, etc... It's not like you can conduct a survey and expect accurate results from voluntary participation

My point is that without the stats (on both sides) the discussion and comparison is mute. I don't see getting the stats myself.

Spade

My point is that without the stats (on both sides) the discussion and comparison is mute. I don't see getting the stats myself.

Catholic News Service reports, ``The Vatican said the number of bishops in the world increased from 5,065 to 5,104; the number of priests went from 410,593 to 412,236, increasing everywhere except Europe.`` So 2% would be about 8350 priests and bishops.

Sal
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

Catholic News Service reports, ``The Vatican said the number of bishops in the world increased from 5,065 to 5,104; the number of priests went from 410,593 to 412,236, increasing everywhere except Europe.`` So 2% would be about 8350 priests and bishops.

well when you put it that way...it's flabbergasting

gerryh
+2
And at 4% for the general population! that would make around a quarter of a billion in the general population. That make you feel safer as a non Catholic?

darkbeaver

You see no reason! How about some fukin history. Subvert the urges in the church! are you insane?

damngrumpy
+2
The Captain is right a survey is not going to be accurate its like asking teens about smoking
or sex or drinking they're going to tell you what you want to hear
as for % at two if that is the number your kids are safer than in the general population but are
the numbers correct

DaSleeper
+4
#20  Top Rated Post
And most people will agree with a survey............only if it proves their point of view.

captain morgan
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by gopherView Post

If true that the percentage of Catholic clergy is lower in this regard than the general public, one must still keep in mind that the clergy are enjoined by their vows from engaging in these reprehensible acts. Furthermore, they are largely (or were largely) free from prosecution for doing so. This made their victims more vulnerable and that is why there had been so many repeat offenses against vulnerable youth over many years.

Regardless of whether this sick actions are perpetuated by the Clergy or individuals within the public realm, it is abhorrent.

There are many examples of those that are in a position of trust that violate that trust and abuse children... All sickos, regardless of their faith, lack of such, profession, etc must be dealt with accordingly as opposed to focusing exclusively on one target and willfully ignoring the other perpetrators.

I strongly suspect that a pedophile will gravitate towards the path of least resistance to feed their sickness in which case, the problem never goes away.

Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

And at 4% for the general population! that would make around a quarter of a billion in the general population. That make you feel safer as a non Catholic?

Some people have an unhealthy fixation in taking a run at the Pope, Church or Vatican more so than dealing with the overall, actual problem.

It's kind of a sickness in and of itself

Spade

Some people have an unhealthy fixation in taking a run at the Pope, Church or Vatican more so than dealing with the overall, actual problem.

It's kind of a sickness in and of itself

Yep, it killed Leher.

Tom Lehrer - The Vatican Rag - YouTube

captain morgan
+1
When a simple tin foil hat just isn't enough:

Think about it Sir.... For the best possible protection from the spy satellites

Spade

When a simple tin foil hat just isn't enough:

Think about it Sir.... For the best possible protection from the spy satellites

The Pope uses this. More upscale.

Tiara of Pope Paul VI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Last edited by Spade; Jul 14th, 2014 at 08:30 AM..

captain morgan
+1
I'm worried about your health my friend... Please... Please give some thought to abandoning just the daily use of a tin foil hat and go for full body coverage.... You'll thank me in years to come

Spade

I'm worried about your health my friend... Please... Please give some thought to abandoning just the daily use of a tin foil hat and go for full body coverage.... You'll thank me in years to come

I'll bring flowers to your headstone.

captain morgan
+1
Thanks for the thought.

.. The first step in the healing process for you is to admit that you have a problem.

Spade
Ahhh, you're not really a problem.

captain morgan
I agree.

You have a multiplicity of problems from which you can chose just one... It's a start.

mentalfloss
+1 / -1
2% ?

Thought they preferred homo.

no new posts