He's Probably Too Stoned to Care

SLM
Man fired for being first to buy legal weed in Spokane: 'I regret nothing'

Jordan Chittley, CTVNews.ca
Published Thursday, July 10, 2014 2:00PM EDT

We may be accustomed to seeing long lines for the trendiest new electronics, but earlier this week one man was so eager to be the first person to buy legal weed in Spokane, Wash. he waited outside the store almost a full day before it opened.
When Washington became the second U.S. state to allow marijuana sales without a doctor’s noteearlier this week, Mike Boyer was determined to be among the first to avail himself. So, when pot purveyor Green Leaf opened Tuesday afternoon, Boyer enthusiastically walked in, pumped his fist in the air and purchased four grams of Sour Kush. This all happened in front of TV cameras and other news outlets, who were there to cover the historic buy. Triumphant in a tie-dye T-shirt, Boyer emerged from the store and shouted “Go Washington.”
But his jubilation was short-lived. CNN followed Boyer back to his home and watched as he lit up. About 30 minutes after purchasing the weed, Boyer found out he was close to being fired from two of his three part-time jobs.

Boyer says someone saw him on TV and complained to one of his employers. Boyer said the boss at one of his workplaces sent him a text asking him to take a drug test within 24 hours – one he would certainly fail.
Another of his employers wasn’t too happy either.
“We are a security firm,” human resources manager for Kodiak Security Kym Ramey told The Spokesman-Review. “Our employees can’t be under the influence on the job.”
Employers are allowed to test workers pursuant to their internal policies.
As Boyer basks in his dubious new distinction, he is also taking some initiative to find a new job. He posted a note, including his resume, on Craigslist.
“I lost my job due to the news coverage of me being the first person to buy marijuana legally in Spokane,” Boyer writes. “I regret nothing.”

First man in Spokane to buy recreational marijuana. Mike Boyer says he's gonna go home and test it and take a nap.

Fired for high-profile marijuana purchase, Wash. pot pioneer Mike Boyer regrets nothing | CTV News

Twila
+1
I guess it'll take a while for employers to figure out the law. Its now the same as alcohol. You can't be drunk at work either. But you can't be fired for being drunk when NOT at work.

Locutus
+1
stoners are cool

Twila
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

stoners are cool

alot cooler then most drunks.

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

I guess it'll take a while for employers to figure out the law. Its now the same as alcohol. You can't be drunk at work either. But you can't be fired for being drunk when NOT at work.

Federal Laws trump state laws. The Feds just aren't enforcing the law here. I am doubtful this guy can get his job back.

SLM

alot cooler then most drunks.

This is very true.

But probably still not what you'd want in a security guard.

Twila
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

This is very true.

But probably still not what you'd want in a security guard.

If he wasn't smoking it before or during work hours then it's a lot better then a hungover security guard.

Security guards just have to observe and know how to dial a phone these days. They're no longer "rent a cops" for the most part. Not when the employer is paying $15/hr or less.

SLM
+3
#8  Top Rated Post

If he wasn't smoking it before or during work hours then it's a lot better then a hungover security guard.

Security guards just have to observe and know how to dial a phone these days. They're no longer "rent a cops" for the most part. Not when the employer is paying $15/hr or less.

"Milhouse, you were supposed to be watching!"

"I was watching. I saw the whole thing. First it started to fall over, and then it fell over."

petros
+2
Security! You know, I think those shirts should say insecurity.
Because if you feel you have to put what you are on your shirt, then I feel sorry for you.
Do you feel sorry for me? Guess not.

Lisa Simpson - Waverly Hills 9021Do'h.

gopher
+1
Discrimination!

Hang those @#$#@ who fired him!!!!

JLM

Except when you are supposed to be at work. -

Twila
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Except when you are supposed to be at work. -

Except he wasn't suppose to be at work. A fellow employee saw him on the news and complained to his boss. Sounds like the company has some tattlers and low morale.

shadowshiv
+1

The problem is that the drug tests that he is given don't say when he last did the drugs, just that the drugs are in his system. If part of the job says to NOT do drugs, then you have no one to blame when you pop positive.