Vaping...any thoughts?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I have no opinion one way or the other on this...anyone have strong feelings about it and if so, why?

Red Deer city council has banned the use of electronic cigarettes in public venues and that annoys some users of the new product.
"It's absolutely ridiculous. They're completely not cigarettes,” says Takara Grant.

The 20-year-old says she smoked two to three packs of cigarettes a day before she discovered "vaping,” which is what many users call the practice

She says Red Deer council is behind the times.

Unlike tobacco — which contains noxious chemicals — e-cigarettes produce a vapour that is composed mostly of water and nicotine.
Jeff Wingert, a newcomer to the world of vaping says he can understand councils' move to restrict their use.
"People may be uncomfortable seeing someone vaporizing in public in a restaurant or in front of children so I can understand why it happened,” says Wingert.

“I see the other side, too, where people should be able to enjoy something that doesn't harm others.”

Natasha Ford, who works at Vapor Hub in Red Deer, says business is good despite the restrictions imposed by Red Deer council.

She says customers use e-cigarettes to quit tobacco but most want to cut out nicotine entirely.

"The ultimate goal is to go from whatever you start out at, to zero grams of nicotine,” said Ford.

Health Canada, however, advises Canadians not to "vape" because their safety has not been proven.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I think most people react the way they do because it looks like a cigarette therefore they react the way they do to cigarettes. Without really knowing anything about it. That's what I think anyway.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I'd never heard of it..."vaping" almost makes me want to try one.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Safe but you can't fix stupid.

BTW they were key for me quitting smoking tobacco and now with a little chem make smoking medicinals safer.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

E-cigarettes were first developed in China and were introduced to the U.S. market in 2007. Many are similar enough in appearance to be mistaken for regular tobacco cigarettes. But one look inside and you'll see the main difference: This is a tobacco-free product. E-cigs are actually vaporizers; instead of burning tobacco, the mechanism heats up a liquid. The liquid turns into vapor, which is then inhaled, or "vaped." While some argue that vapor offers health advantages over traditional cigarette smoke, regulatory agencies and some health experts aren't so sure that's true. Before you consider taking up the e-cigarette habit, read on to get the facts.
so they really don't know yet if they are safe or not...interesting that they were developed in China...thanks...

The principal parts of the verb "to vape".

vape, vaping, vaped, vapid
that made me lol...

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
so they really don't know yet if they are safe or not...interesting that they were developed in China...thanks...

Well I think it's fairly safe to say they are no worse than actual cigarettes (and they don't contain tar, so actually better really), so for a smoker to use them as part of a quit can't be a bad thing. Or if not part of a quit, then maybe use them as a 'cheat' during a quit. You know, satisfy that craving (at least in part) of a cigarette without falling off the wagon, so to speak.

But anyone who doesn't smoke, I can't see why they'd want to use them.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Well I think it's fairly safe to say they are no worse than actual cigarettes (and they don't contain tar, so actually better really), so for a smoker to use them as part of a quit can't be a bad thing. Or if not part of a quit, then maybe use them as a 'cheat' during a quit. You know, satisfy that craving (at least in part) of a cigarette without falling off the wagon, so to speak.

But anyone who doesn't smoke, I can't see why they'd want to use them.
it's the suck blow thing... (no comments from the peanut gallery please) :lol:

when I quit I was disappointed to find out I was one of the very very few people who likely weren't physically addicted...quitting for me from a pack and half to two packs a day was actually pretty easy...

but I used a small pencil and smoked it...

I can be high strung and believe I unknowingly used smoking to regulate my breathing during anxiety. Just my own theory but when I quit smoking I had times when I absolutely could not catch a breath. It would last for long periods of time and cause panic. Test showed I was actually getting more than sufficient oxygen so it was my breathing technique which had to change. Smoking had regulated that since when I got anxious I lit up.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Hardly an issue to throw someone out of office on its own.
If the council is backward on everything else throw them out

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
I know of someone who quit smoking real cigs using one of these last year. At the time I didn't know what the hell he was talking about, E cigs that is, until he showed it to me.

Now the WHO are putting their yappers out and you know a total ban on them is coming. I can see where banning sales to children would be okay but by them using the word children they are making it sound like 5 year olds are spending $100.00 on these. I've actually not seen any teens even smoking one as they are sort of costly, from a $100 and up.

I have heard some local yappers whining that it is a 'gateway' to smoking real cigs.

I bet Big Pharma that has all of the Quit Smoking drug contraptions crap are behind this......

The World Health Organization says there should be a ban on the use of e-cigarettes indoors and that sales to children should stop

In a report the health body says there must be no more claims that the devices can help smokers quit - until there is firm evidence to support this.

WHO experts warn the products might pose a threat to adolescents and the foetuses of pregnant women.

But campaigners say regulations must be proportionate.

Tempting flavours

According to the WHO legal steps need to be taken to end the use of e-cigarettes indoors - both in public spaces and in work places.

And the report focuses on the potential for products to spark wider cigarette use in children.

The health experts call for a ban on advertisements that could encourage children and non-smokers to use the devices.

And they say fruit, candy or alcoholic-drink style flavours should be prohibited too, while the sales of electronic cigarettes from vending machines should be heavily restricted.

more

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-28937610

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Sister-in-law

57 years old, lost half a lung to cancer, had a heart attack, has COPD, currently weighs 80 lbs. Yep, 80 lbs.............can't quit smoking.

The DOCTOR told her to get an e-cigarette.

There is NO NEED for controls on these items.

They do help people quit tobacco.

The "progressive" control everything people should just **** OFF.